News:

• April 26, 2024, 07:00:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Gluing Hinges  (Read 4027 times)

Offline Steve Scott

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Terrorizing earthworms since '65
Gluing Hinges
« on: August 07, 2020, 02:29:14 PM »
Probably my least favorite task for building but,

I have several ARFs and a few kits I want to finish up.  We're talking .25-.40 size mostly profiles. 

The ARFs suggest using the RC CA hinges which I don't want to use so I'll use the standard DuBro pinned nylon hinges but considering which type of glue to use.  I've used CA, Sig Bond aliphatic and epoxy.  The CA is unforgiving and the epoxy is messy.  Several of the RC guys say they use white Gorilla glue.  I found some non-foaming clear Gorilla glue and wonder if this would be acceptable.

I typically install the hinges so the barrels are flush against the wing TE,  sand a bevel onto the LE of the flap or elevator and relieve some of the LE to the depth of the hinge barrel so my question is primarily which glue to use.

Offline George Truett

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
Re: Gluing Hinges
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 04:06:31 PM »
Not long ago someone shared a method where you use a small piece of silkspan or veil folded over the hinge before inserting it in the slot.  I'll try and remember to see if I can find it, it sounded a lot less messy than what I usually do.  Found it:  https://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/psa-(epoxy-content)/msg574261/#msg574261  It looks like Motorman did not care for this method, looks worth a try to me.

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 04:21:54 PM »
One thing to do before any glue or epoxy or whatever is placed on the hinge or slot is to coat the body of the hinge/hinge pin with vaseline so the epoxy or glue or whatever does not get into the hinge body itself.  This also will act as a lubricant so it is not necessary to remove the vaseline after the hinge is set.

Kieth

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 05:01:34 PM »
Plus one on what Keith suggests, and I use 30 minute or longer glue.  Windy shows this method in one of his videos and thet is where I picked it up. Get all the slots cut, hinges fitted, and be satisfied with the deflection before gluing. Then just do one control surface at a time, work slowly and purposefully. Ehrn all are in, test the deflection, and then use paper towels and Q-Tips dipped in alcohol to wipe away and epoxy that got away from you. Double check the fit up one more time then set aside to cure.
   Type at you later'
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
  • I'm here purely for the fun of it.
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 08:32:25 PM »
RC CA hinges suck for CL. There I said it. My favorite hinge is laced mono-filament. They are the easiest to do and are always free. But they can look horrendous.  Today, I am using the Dubro hinges but I also using a long piece of wire in the hinges. I do the slotting and fitting as normal right up to being ready to glue. Then I pull the pin out of the hinges and substitute a long piece of .045 welding rod which spans the surface. The hinge half on the fixed surface will be set with the wire just shy of flush. The control side needs to be relieved at the bevel for the wire. When installed there is virtually no gap in the control surface. The hinge wire will go all the way from the tip to the root of the surface.

I glue the front half in first and clean all of the glue from the hinge half. I use epoxy, normally 30 minute but it doesn't matter as I'm not rushed in this manor as I am installing the hinge halves I run the hinge wire through to insure the alignment and pull it out when satisfied.  I let the hinges cure for  a couple hours before proceeding and cleaning thoroughly.  Next I do the surface side in the same manor. I often will test fit to be certain before the epoxy sets.

I have found this to be the most reliable method of getting good free hinges. If there is a bit of glue in a hinge, I can clean it out by pushing the hinge wire through a couple of times. This method takes longer but the results are worth it.
Life is good AMA 1488
Why do we fly? We are practicing, you might say, what it means to be alive...  -Richard Bach
“Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.” – Richard P. Feynman

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2020, 11:58:26 PM »
I use Formula 560 Canopy Glue.  Works well, drys clear and cleans up with water.
Jim Vigani

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2020, 06:28:19 AM »

My view is the hing should not be visible.

Simply place 50% of the hinge into each side of the hing area. Notch the opening at an angle to recess it 50% on each side and it will not be seen.

A bit more work but worth it.

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2020, 07:47:50 AM »
The hinge wire will go all the way from the tip to the root of the surface.
I use nearly the same method.  The only difference is that I put a strip of aluminum tubing between the hinges and I assemble the whole thing on the flap/elevator before gluing anything.  The tubes get glued to the flap/elevator then blended in.  This way the hinges are totally aligned with zero binding.  I round the ends of the wires and bevel the hinge and tube ends so that the wire slides in and out effortlessly.  The gap is almost non-existent.  Almost - still needs to be sealed.

A word on gluing.  With no need to ever remove a hinge they can be glued with CA disassembled.  No more gluing in the pin! 

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2020, 10:22:23 AM »

Simply place 50% of the hinge into each side of the hing area. Notch the opening at an angle to recess it 50% on each side and it will not be seen.

Oy gevalt.

Of course, it's a different story when you need the airplane to actually *fly properly*, rather than be a  hangar queen, or rather, fodder for year+ "no sale" listings on eBay.

Plenty of people can make hinge lines that look good and work well, too. You just aren't one of them. That's no crime in and of itself, no one was born knowing how to build model airplanes.  But lecturing people on "doing it right" falls pretty flat when you have no idea how to do it yourself.

Brett

Offline Steve Scott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • Terrorizing earthworms since '65
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2020, 11:37:16 AM »
I've used pinned nylon hinges and CA with a small 1/16" hole in the underside of the surface about in the middle of each tab.  A drop or two of thin CA into the hole seems to work well enough for my sport aerobatic ships.  I can either apply a small patch of covering or leave the hole 'as is' with it hardened by the CA to ward off fuel seepage.   No risk of getting any CA on the hinge barrel.

I may also experiment with the Robart hinge points and the clear Gorilla glue but those aren't practical when the elevator is only 1/8" thick to start with.  I like the idea of a fold of silkspan inserted into the pocket then CA. 

Of course, any hinge tab or point should be cleaned of all mold release and perhaps roughed up a bit with course sandpaper before any gluing.  I don't 'yet' have a precision oil bottle to put a dab of machine oil on the hinge barrel but those are available locally.

Thanks all for the replies.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2020, 12:32:10 PM »
...and pull it out when satisfied.

That’s what I do.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2020, 01:34:52 PM »
     Oy gevalt.

Of course, it's a different story when you need the airplane to actually *fly properly*, rather than be a  hangar queen, or rather, fodder for year+ "no sale" listings on eBay.

Plenty of people can make hinge lines that look good and work well, too. You just aren't one of them. That's no crime in and of itself, no one was born knowing how to build model airplanes.  But lecturing people on "doing it right" falls pretty flat when you have no idea how to do it yourself.

Brett

Brett,

I'm sorry you couldn't hold it in any longer.

You've been trolling me for years and years and years. What 7, 8 years? Never a good word to say?

The only reason I can come up with is jealously, which if Googled, "jealously is the most common reason why people troll in Forums." All kinds of Forums actually.

With this said, why would you be jealous of me? Or, why do you troll me?

You do design and build your own models and finish and paint them? Two part clear now? And you're an elite flyer, actually in a class by yourself.

So, what's your issue? Oh, I remember, "no one" was going to let me teach. You guys actually said this.

[/color]

Brett, you must have me mixed up with someone else, I can't ever remember a Post where I preached my way of "doing it right" is the only way. To the contrary actually. I say, "Don't try this at home."

Yes, absolutely, I think models look nicer when the hinge is recessed and hidden. Just an opinion, no crime in that.

Yes, I have great tiny tiny spaces between my tight but loose control surfaces and I take the time to recess the hinge. It just makes the model look more finished. In my opinion. There has to be at least one modeler out there who agrees. No, you don't have to speak up, you don't need issues.

As for my "no sale" on ebay. I'm glad you're keeping an eye on my ebay adventures.

I'll bring you up to date.

I sold the ARGO and the ARGO 2. $1,000.00 each. Oh, and the NovaRossi, $255.00 plus the OS 80-H $120.00. I have 2 more of those one is NIB.

One buyer actually paid $480.00 to have the ARGO shipped by a UPS store to AZ.

The ARGO arrived without a scratch on it. The buyer said he had never, NEVER in all the years he had been modeling, seen a model finished to these standards. Maybe he doesn't get out much?

I'll stay humble, but I'm glad he likes the ARGO. Difficult to buy a model just from photos. But like he said, he had a good feeling about my honesty.

As for the Mig-3 and the Stuka. If it wasn't for shipping I could have sold them 20 times.

I'm the guy who is saying no to Greyhound, not a chance, and not many will pay for UPS shipping. I still look at them now and again, having a difficult time believing I built the things.

FYI. The first model to sell on ebay was the Flite Streak 007. I wouldn't ship it. I actually lowered the price because the buyer drove to pick it up. A 1600 mile loop. I mentioned this way back in the Forum. $375.00 for the Flite Streak 007.

BTW. Next time you're out there flying around in circles, take a kite with you.

By now EVERYONE knows how I feel about flying. It takes up too much valuable time in my life and flying takes me away from more important things.

I never feel guilty or selfish about the time I don't waste by flying. It's not my thing, but I never troll others who do spend a good deal of time flying. And I never have commented, in a negative way, about other modelers building skills or their models. Always positive replies!

And when I do fly, which is hardly ever, no one knows because I don't tell anyone.

Why should I?

If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2020, 02:14:33 PM »

How do you know it's worth it if you don't fly it? The way you describe it, there is no way for a barrel hinge to deflect properly. You would have built it into a bind. Makes no sense to me. There are ways to do it, but not how you describe.

Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2020, 03:21:08 PM »
Look Ma, there are not any visible hinges!

Not hard to do with Robart Hinge Points and relatively thick elevators and flaps.  Used the larger Hinge Points that are 3/16" diameter on these elevators and flaps.  Also on the moveable rudder.

Keith

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
  • I'm here purely for the fun of it.
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2020, 12:53:34 PM »
Life is good AMA 1488
Why do we fly? We are practicing, you might say, what it means to be alive...  -Richard Bach
“Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.” – Richard P. Feynman

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2020, 02:16:31 PM »
By this point, most know who to listen to and who to blow off. For me, I prefer for hinges to work well and making them pretty is secondary. At least for a Open competition plane.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2020, 03:33:23 PM »
By this point, most know who to listen to and who to blow off. For me, I prefer for hinges to work well and making them pretty is secondary. At least for a Open competition plane.

You "West Coast" guys are well above the bar.

When the West Cost guys talk, even E.F. Hutton listens.  LL~

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2020, 01:21:22 PM »
A glutton for punishment or maybe I just like sharing?

This link will take you to a build. I added a photo and description on the hinge recess and installation.

This link and Post #115.

https://stunthanger.com/smf/cfc-graphics/gee-bee-r-3-build!-semi-scale-cl-stunter!/msg461932/#msg461932

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2020, 07:46:50 PM »
As soon as I realized I didn't need to remove flaps or elevator, I went to "over-and-under" cloth hinges.  No gap sealing necessary, and no "alignment" problems.
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2020, 05:16:47 PM »
Seeing as there is a host of ways to skin a ca.... hold them horses why would anyone actually want to skin a ca... I mean that that is what rabbits are for right? I mean back in the 1800's cat fur was used in women's clothing and there was a debate as to how best to skin a cat and some said they heard that the Dutch did it while the cat was alive. This was determined to be false as the general consensus was that skinning a live cat was near impossible. So it was settled that the said cat was best skinned while it was freshly dead. Discussions did  not delve into the circumstance of the recent demise only to the best time to perform the act.So while we are on our merry way skinning cats. I install hinges by cutting the slots, insert the hinge, drill a hole through the elevator and stab all the way through the hinge, wick in some thin CA in the hole, pin the hinge with a round toothpick a tad more CA around the toothpick, trim, sand smooth, done. If you do not go hog wild with the CA you get no glue in the hinge joint and it will never come apart. The round tooth pick will keep it put for ever.
Words Spoken by the first human to set foot on Mars... "Now What?"

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2020, 09:39:02 PM »
I install hinges by cutting the slots, insert the hinge, drill a hole through the elevator and stab all the way through the hinge, wick in some thin CA in the hole, pin the hinge with a round toothpick a tad more CA around the toothpick, trim, sand smooth, done. If you do not go hog wild with the CA you get no glue in the hinge joint and it will never come apart. The round tooth pick will keep it put for ever.
I used to do it that way too until one day I needed to replace a hinge.  It really does make them bullet proof.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline John Leidle

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2020, 05:26:43 PM »
  Hey Steve,
  I have been using DuBro 2 piece hinges forever I am not talented enough to try CA I already know how it would turn out if I tried so I always use 30 minute epoxy. put a dab in the slot with a 1/64" plywood stick & then put in the hinge ,pull out then wipe clean I reinstall . That way I know if there is enough epoxy or too much  and have time to adjust.
  I like the way Paul does his, the wing trailing edge is hollowed , conceived & the flap leading edge is rounded to fit into the trailing edge I think this looks better plus don't need to seal the hinge lines.
   John L.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2020, 08:12:44 PM »
   I like the way Paul does his, the wing trailing edge is hollowed , conceived & the flap leading edge is rounded to fit into the trailing edge I think this looks better plus don't need to seal the hinge lines.
   John L.
I used to think that too.  I have been doing it this way for a long time.  One contest a couple of years ago someone told me it didn't matter, they leak and need to be sealed.  So I did and the plane turned better.  Not as much as a normal hinge line but still better.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline John Leidle

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2020, 01:48:28 AM »
  That could be true Ken,  but it looks good.
         John L.

Offline Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2020, 08:55:37 AM »
That’s what I do.

LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~  Good one Howard!

Jerry

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2020, 06:35:33 PM »
This is how some prepare nylon hinges to avoid getting glue into the hinge...place a monokote iron in a vise as shown, insuring it is level. Place a mason jar lid on the iron with just enough petroleum jelly to cover the barrel of the hinge. Very low heat will melt the jelly and when the hinge is folded and placed as shown, the liquified jelly will wick into the barrel. The result is a clean hinge for gluing, pre-lubricated, and the glue will not seep into the hinge.

hopefully....

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2020, 09:53:36 PM »
I would caution people from using this technique in a house run by a woman. Even if the spill happens in the sanctity of your shop, you will step in it and get in trouble when you track it on the rug.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2020, 07:59:25 AM »
Howard, I don't recall you being there when that happened....

dg

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2020, 11:12:00 PM »
Hi Steve,

Years ago I went and spent a few days with Tom Morris in Anniston, Alabama.  I thought i was a pretty good builder until I spent that time with Tom.  When I left, I was a much better builder.  I told you that to tell you this.

He used Dacron cloth hinges and used dope to secure them.  So do i but if he had to use plastic barrel type hinges, he used plain ole Elmers White Glue.  I do too and have ever since I visited with him.  Cut your slots, cut up a playing card to the right width, squeeze a little Elmers into the slot and use that piece of playing card to get the glue in the slot.  Do it a couple of times.  Put a little Vaseline in a jar lid and heat it until it melts and dip only the barrel of the hinge into the liquid Vaseline.  Try and keep the Vaseline on the barrel only.  Insert on half of the hinge in the slot and let it dry.  Then do the glue and piece of playing card in the slots of the flap or elevator and slide them on and let dry. 

That is how I do it and i have never had a hinge tear out of the slot.

Mike

Offline dale gleason

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2020, 06:52:27 PM »
I watched two good flyers at the NATs about 10 or so years ago, flying in a down pour of steady rain. They were soaked, as were the white glue hinge pockets. The glue dissolved and the balsa swelled. Both flyers threw in their respective towels and felt very glad they didn't lose a plane.

Heat guns and the sun restored the warped wings and hinges...be careful of white glue in very damp weather.

dg

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here