News:

• May 05, 2024, 04:11:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Glue???????  (Read 1498 times)

Offline Keith Spriggs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
    • khspriggs
Glue???????
« on: March 05, 2007, 04:21:33 PM »
One of the few benefits of getting old is you don't care how stupid you look, so here goes.

When I quit building everything was glued with Amberoid. Epoxies were just coming in. Now I see that most every think seems to be glued with CA. I see where there is thin. medium, and thick. They also have accelerator. Since I have never used any of these in new model construction I don't have a clue which one to use where, Do you assemble something like a wing and then just put a drop of CA on the joint and it will penetrate? Which Ca? Does the accelerator weaken the glue? Should the joints be "push tight" or should the have a little clearance for the glue to penetrate. Is there much difference in the brands of CA?  I have a pretty good handle on using carpenter type glues for laminating and that type of thing, but I see some people use it for the wing structure. Will it penetrate the joint or do you have to apply it to the pieces (s) before you assemble them.  I think I understand where and how to use epoxy.As you can see I am all questions and no answers. Please help the elderly.

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: Glue???????
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 04:33:17 PM »
Keith: Thin ca is instant, you need a tight wood joint and just a drop or two will do it. It will soak through both pieces and bond, to much and it will run and glue everything it touches (fingers etc) also with to much it might not bond at all.
Medium gives you a little more time for bonding also is gap filling.
Thick gives even more time for bonding.
DEBONDER for unglueing fingers  SH^ SH^ **) **)
Leester
ama 830538

Offline roger gebhart

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 05:21:23 PM »
Kieth   The kicker has it's place. For me mostly with the thicker ca when i'm in too big of a hurry or using old ca. At least in my mind penetration stops on application of the kicker. Not always a good thing. It also tends to bubble up the ca and make a rough finish. Especially if you have a bit to much ca down anyway. That's my opinion and I get corrected pretty regularly. FWIW  rog

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 05:29:24 PM »
KEITH--Pick up a small thin and a small medium CA nd try them with scraps it will just take a moment for you to see how they work.

Most any brand will do the trick. I don't ever use kicker.  I can afford a few seconds.
Frank Carlisle

Offline roger gebhart

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 05:45:13 PM »
My point exactly.

Offline wmiii

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 02:19:18 PM »
 One important point to keep in mind, CA, is not sandable!! I use very little CA, still use Ambroid
Testors, epoxy, sandable white glue.

Walter
walter menges

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 02:28:58 PM »
I find CA "sandable". but it will sand slower than the surrounding wood, so use a block. I use kicker occasionally. Usually when the shop is cold. I'd say 90% of my planes are built with thin CA, maybe another 6% with epoxy and the remaining few percent with medium CA. Usually use that for things that you apply glue to then join together. It give you a bit more time. Like sheeting or doublers and such.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline James Lee

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 02:31:31 PM »
Keith
Walt has an excellant point...  CA does not sand, its heavy and its brittle.  If you are more familiar with Ambroid, use Testors or Sigment...  Not quite as good as they once were, but they still have a place. 
Also yellow glue is great stuff...  they all have a place.   ;D
Later
Jim

Offline Wayne Collier

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 03:55:09 AM »
Give CA a try.  Just buy a bottle and try some on some scrap.  I really like it. It holds good and sets quickly.  I've recently been working on a small rubber powered free flight stick and tissue model.  Just pinned the leading and trailing edges in place. Held the ribs in place, applied a drop of CA and within seconds move to the next rib.  Less than an hour from starting the wing it was dry enough to remove the pins.  Can't do that with elmers.
Wayne Collier     Northeast Texas
<><

never confuse patience with slowness never confuse motion with progress

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 10:55:13 AM »
As for sanding CA, I stole a tip somewhere that seems to work fairly well. I use a flat metal file, make sure to keep it flat on the surface and it seems to cut the CA without doing much to the wood. FWIW
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 01:53:10 PM »
Ambroid is still around.  It is thinner and has a stronger smell than it used to.  Sigment is a good strong glue.  Duco is good also.  I use a variety of glues.  The advice to get a little bottle of CA and try it is good advice.  CA is good stuff in its place. 

Offline Bob Disharoon

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2007, 06:07:57 PM »
I used to LOVE Ambroid..the yellow/orange tube,the working time,the mess...but most of all..the FUMES..working in an unventilated, small area..maybe thats why I ask so many stupid questions around here...the following is my brain on Broid... (PE**) j1

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 10:47:35 AM »
As a matter of fact I updated my old SN article about GLUES for The StuntHanger online mag. Keep your ryes peeled!

Ward  :!
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 07:31:53 PM »
I tried to reply from work this morning, but it wouldn't go through...........

Noone has mentioned Elmer's Glue All yet!  My favorite all time glue was PICA Glu It.  The Glue All is the closest substitute I have found for it.

CA IS heavy, and I find myself using too much of it!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here