News:

• May 03, 2024, 12:33:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Free Flight techniques for stunters.  (Read 2367 times)

Offline Ty Marcucci

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Free Flight techniques for stunters.
« on: October 06, 2006, 09:05:44 AM »
 D>K

« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 11:12:30 AM by Ty Marcucci »
Ty Marcucci

Offline Busby

• ACE
  • Commander
Re: Free Flight techniques for stunters.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 09:17:40 AM »
Many stunters are built using free flight techniques,Look at the work Tom Morris has utilized in his kits .
they are essentially 742 ,000 pieces of 1/16 sheet and they live very well without weighing much at all.

A very good friend has stated to me several times ,You can build a plane with one tube of glue or you can build it with two or three tubes.
I have found that after obtaining the correct weight of balsa that the adhesive is the biggest weight culprit.

BTW four lb wood is not the correct wood in all cases.
I often use 6/7 lb wood for the LE sand TE sheeting.
Marshall Busby

Offline Busby

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 09:51:55 AM »
Although they are a lot of pieces I am amazed at how fast that they can be built, typically about forty hours worth of work to get them framed and then comes all the hours of work to get them painted.
It is at this point where I use the majority of time and paper sanding. Spray 2 coats and sand 1 3/4s of it off.
A friend says I just like rubbing on the things.
I have got to get a life.
Busby
Marshall Busby

Offline Mike Spiess

• bikemike
  • Commander
  • AMA #4060
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 07:43:01 AM »
I'm also a Freeflight'er. I'd have to say I didn't become competitive till I got a electronic gram scale for up to 200 grams. Now I weight every piece of balsa before using. I have a color code I mark each piece with to keep it all strait.

P.S. Competitive in freeflight not CL Stunt. I have along wy to go there. I'm still having problems coming home with whole airplanes.
You don't stop flying cause your get OLD
You get OLD cause you stopped flying
St Peter MN
Present Master of the Figure 9

Offline Richard Becker

• New Pilot
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 07:07:00 AM »
Great Topic - I always land up being heavier than I wanted. (My 'planes are the same!)
Could someone please explain the differences between silk (Ithink I know what that is) silkspan, Japanese tissue and tissue?

Offline Mike Spiess

• bikemike
  • Commander
  • AMA #4060
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 07:54:29 AM »
With my freeflight knowledge I'll try to clear this up. Silk is a cloth made up of threads made by a worm woven into a cloth. Not all silk is suitable for our needs thought. Only the fine and light stuff without sizing will do. When I build my clown I'm going to use a skirt my wife gave me. As for silkspan its made up of cotton fibers and was first made I think for tea bags. It comes in different weights. Its the material that is in most CL kits. As for tissue that comes in many differant weights and is a paper product. As for Jap tissue it is the lightest and strongest for its weight. Great for small free flight but not really strong enough for our purposes unless you put on 2 layers. But I have a hard time covering once. IMHO Colored silk with clear is the prettiest with Jap tissue a close second. Some craftman can make silkspan look fantastic also. Some B & A freeflight models have been covered with ripstop nylon with great success.
St Peter MN

Offline Richard Becker

• New Pilot
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 02:53:22 AM »
Thanks very much Mike, that clears it up very well. My favourite is silk - needs care not to make it heavy during the filler coats, and also not to shrink it too much, but it is really very strong and lasts forever! Using coloured silk and clear dope on old timers looks realy great too.

Offline Mike Spiess

• bikemike
  • Commander
  • AMA #4060
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 08:26:27 AM »
There was a civil engineer in town named Bolton him and his sons flew CL speed and other things back in the 50'S. I meet one of the sons years ago and he showed me pictures of their planes and many where covered with silk scarves and skirts, It was really neat seeing a paisley plane. But most had flowers on them. So when I think of a vintage plane I think they should have flowered silk. **) So I'm doing my clown in an old skirt of my wifes.
St Peter MN

Offline Mike Spiess

• bikemike
  • Commander
  • AMA #4060
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 08:31:06 AM »
HI Mike. Many years ago I was told silkspan was made from rotten silk, not unlikle using cotton for paper. It is still used in tea bags and in those oriental room dividers or privacy screens.

I don't think the tea bags I got now are all silkspan anymore. Kind of a smooth material.So still are though.
St Peter MN

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006, 02:01:48 PM »
With my freeflight knowledge I'll try to clear this up. Silk is a cloth made up of threads made by a worm woven into a cloth. Not all silk is suitable for our needs thought. Only the fine and light stuff without sizing will do. When I build my clown I'm going to use a skirt my wife gave me. As for silkspan its made up of cotton fibers and was first made I think for tea bags. It comes in different weights. Its the material that is in most CL kits. As for tissue that comes in many differant weights and is a paper product. As for Jap tissue it is the lightest and strongest for its weight. Great for small free flight but not really strong enough for our purposes unless you put on 2 layers. But I have a hard time covering once. IMHO Colored silk with clear is the prettiest with Jap tissue a close second. Some craftman can make silkspan look fantastic also. Some B & A freeflight models have been covered with ripstop nylon with great success.

HI Mike,

Do you put on your clear dope filler over the silk holding it upside down (doping on the bottom and not the top). ?  I hold it up so that I am applying dope that wants to drip off the silk.

I have done that whenever I use silk, and it saves the amount of dope it takes to cover!

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Mike Spiess

• bikemike
  • Commander
  • AMA #4060
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2006, 03:46:16 PM »
I do one rib bay then flip the wing over and do one on the bottom then flip it over do one on the top.................I have never had much problems with drips.(Thats what my wife calls me a drip. **)) A really absorbent paper towel close is handy.
St Peter MN

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here