News:

• May 04, 2024, 07:33:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: For Tom Niebuhr, and all (motor mounts??)  (Read 770 times)

Offline Bill Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
For Tom Niebuhr, and all (motor mounts??)
« on: June 02, 2007, 12:00:35 PM »
This is a post I made in the Classic section.  I think I could get more comments by also posting it here. (??)

This post is considering the "new" smooth running .32-.40 engines that we are often using in Classic (and others) size planes today/

Thanks!

Hi Tom,

Am I the "Blind Hog" again?  The reason I ask is this........

You remarks on the motor mounts, thrustline, etc., had me thinking.....I had been routinely cutting down the motor mounts behind f-1 to give an 1/8th" adjustment to the tank.  Then we started adding 1/8th" pads under the engines........  Not a problem since it added even more adjustment for the tank (though never needed that much!).

Idea came........ use 3/8th" square maple to start with, add the 1/8th" pad, and make it "crutch style"!  This was accompanied by tapering (in overhead view) and extending the motor mounts to the nose ring.  The "new" engines are pretty smooth, not like the Fox 35 usually was, the advent of the crutch, and attendant nose structure, really makes a much more solid nose anyway.  Of course, some videos of Windy building noses for Cardinals was a good bit of inspiration.  The Big Jim nose is solid.

Haven't had any issues with engine runs using this, and the added fact that epoxy wasn't around as much way back in the Classic Era, along with some 1/2 oz. fiberglass on the nose, makes me think that this is viable.

What 'cha think?
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: For Tom Niebuhr, and all (motor mounts??)
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 03:17:19 AM »
Bill,
By not undercutting the 1/2" mount under the tank, you will lose some tank adjustment, unless you had 1/4" pads under the engine. I still like the larger mounts for the larger ngines. .60 & up.

Like I said elsewhere, the 1/8" engine pad and with the 1/8" undercut under the tank, is the perfect set up using a Sullivan tank with the PA.61, etc.

TY,

What's happening with your "Sleekster"?
AMA 7544

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here