News:

• April 27, 2024, 10:03:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Foam Wing weight.  (Read 1002 times)

Offline Allan Perret

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Proverbs
Foam Wing weight.
« on: March 03, 2010, 12:14:44 PM »
About what is the best weight you could expect, using proper techniques, on a 60 size (~675 sq in) foam wing ?  
Just the cores and skins epoxied and LE & TE installed, not including tips, flaps and controls.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Online Alan Buck

• Commander
Re: Foam Wing weight.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 01:26:56 PM »
Hi, Allan  I'm using a foam wing for a SV22 I did 83/4ozs cores sheeted wiht 1/16 and epoxy. complete with tips, controls, flaps,silkspaned with 4 coats of dope and 1/2 oz of tip weight built in 14.25ozs. Hope this helps you. wing is 670 sq in
ALAN E BUCK

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 02:00:47 PM »
Yikes!  My Dreadnought wing with flaps, etc, silkspan and 3 coats of dope weighs 18 ounces.  My plane will never fly, I might as well start over... HB~>
Steve

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 03:39:19 PM »
Yikes!  My Dreadnought wing with flaps, etc, silkspan and 3 coats of dope weighs 18 ounces.  My plane will never fly, I might as well start over... HB~>

My Foam Dreadnought  wing weighed  14.5 with flaps tips controls tip box  leadouts bellcranks paper and 2 coats of dope
My XL 675 sq in weighed  13.5 with all the above ready to glue in to the fuse

Panels should weigh 4 to 4.5 ounces each, unless you have gear of heavy spars in them, The biggest thing to add weight is the technique you use of glueing the skins...the best way I have ever found is to sand the inside of the sheeting and coat it with one coat of thick dope...sand this smooth  when you put on the epoxy it will take about 1\3 of an ounce to  coat the whole surface...if you use punk wood and do not seal it it will take as much as 2 ounces to make the sheeting look wet...and over 3 if you use certain types of thick cement
Some people also use  hairspray  to seal the wood grain prior to glueing

Randy

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 09:23:07 PM »
Gee,

I thought my SV-11 Wing was heavy at 16 ounces with bellcrank, pushrod, Flap Horn, Tip Weight Box, and the Flaps.

I guess it ain't so heavy now?

Jim Pollock   H^^

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 02:57:17 PM »
I checked my notes just now.  The inboard (larger) wing core, sheeted with leading edge and trailing edge weighed 4.3 ounces.

The 18 oz figure included the fact that the completed wing had not only clear over the silkspan but also filler, also the flaps are rigid 8 to 9 pound C grain.  The wing without flaps weighs 15.3 ounces with the filler sanded out.
Steve

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here