News:

• May 13, 2024, 12:21:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Flap horn inst. for I-beamers ?  (Read 818 times)

Offline Rob Killick

• 2013 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Flap horn inst. for I-beamers ?
« on: July 10, 2008, 08:50:06 PM »
Hi ,

Being a noob at building I-beam ships , I was wondering how the flap horn is installed to the wing T.E. , without major surgery ?
I use the cut out method on rib and spar type wings , but looking at the way I-beam wings are constructed , the process escapes me  ::)

Thanks in advance ,

Rob K.
Rob Killick , MAAC 33300

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
Re: Flap horn inst. for I-beamers ?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 08:55:08 PM »
The most common, and simplest, method is to place the flap horn (with bushings) in the fuselage and then slip the TE into place. Then bind the Flap horn to the TE using cloth and glue, or narrow Fiberglas tape with polyester resin.

(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 10:12:43 PM »
I sometimes wish I didn't live out in the boonies (and believe me, there are some boonies around here) so that I could teach people live and in person about stuff like this. For some of us that have build a lot of planes, it seems obvious, but for those just learning, it can be much less so.

Ty has the right of it.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 11:09:31 PM »
...only thing I'd add is that you might consider a "center brace" between the fuselage sides, on the forward edge of the TE strip. 1/16 ply the height of the TE strip, or another pices of, usually what, 1/2 sq?, to brace up where you need to notch for horn motion...

And, likewise, if using Klett-type pin-hinges, a strip of 1/8" balsa forward of the TE, where the hinges go, adds gluing area. These don't need to reach the covering surface, so they can be invisible after finishing.
\BEST\LOU

Offline Rob Killick

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 04:06:17 PM »
Gentlemen ...

Thanks for all the input .
I have a mental picture of what you all said , but with one question concerning Ty's post .
With the trailing edge "squared or parallel to the flap horn (on a tapered ARES wing) , will the "flattened portion of the trailing edge exit the fuselage sides and end at the 90 degree bend of the flap horn (where it enters the flap) ? I'm sure "Lucky boxes" are a necessity for this type of flap ?
A comment concerning Randy's post ...
I am the epitome of "Boonies" !!
I'm the only active control line flier within a radius of 700 miles   :( and the learning curve has many a bump in it , but with help from guys like you I hope to become a proficient modeller and flier .
The online chat forum , here , makes things alot easier , too :)

Thanks again fellows ,

Rob K.
Rob Killick , MAAC 33300

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 08:49:23 PM »
Hi Rob,

If I understood you question of the *square portion of the TE*, it doesn't extend beyond the fuselage sides.   The TE gets shaped starting at the fuse sides.

Also, I have never used lucky boxes, and never had a problem with the horns springing.

Mongo
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here