News:

• May 08, 2024, 01:39:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Flap covering and assembly methods ?  (Read 1565 times)

Offline Rob Killick

• 2013 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Flap covering and assembly methods ?
« on: June 30, 2006, 08:46:23 AM »
I'm sure this has been asked before , but I'm looking for help concerning the covering of solid flaps and , recessing of "barrel type" hinges and the order of Assembly .
Is it proper to cover them with silkspan (afraid of warps) ?
Should I notch the leading edge of the flap to reduce the gap between the trailing edge of the wing and the leading edge of the flap ?
I'm just looking for a trouble free operatin and a good looking flap/wing assembly .

Thanks  y1
Rob Killick , MAAC 33300

Offline Rob Killick

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
Re: Flap covering and assembly methods ?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 02:41:45 PM »
Thanks TY ,

Just what the Dr. ordered :)

Rob K.
Rob Killick , MAAC 33300

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 05:57:31 PM »
Rob,
Notched leading edge of elevator half shown.  <=
Added Magnum Stab and Elev. with the notch again in the leading edge of the elevator. Make sure you bevel the leading edge of the elevator and the leading edge of the flaps. Then do a dry run with all the hinges in place and move the flap and/or the elevator up and down through it's travel to make sure all the hinges are working and that there is no hitting or binding thru the hinge line and you are getting the travel you wanted. After you paint or monocoat or whatever, epoxy the hinges in place doing one side at a time. I like to put all the hinges in the wing first and when it's dry I add the flaps. Same with the stab. The reason I do this is the wing gives you a nice straight edge to line all the hinges up to. Be carefull not to push the hinges all the way in until the barrel hits the wing as this will cause binding. Leave a small gap between the wing and the hinge barrel. Approx. 1/64. I put all the hinges in the stab first and line them up and when its dry I install the elevators. I like to rough up the hinges with sandpaper so the epoxy will get a good grip. I also put a small drop of 3 in 1 oil on the end of the hinge pin. Then I work the hinge back and forth and the capillary action of the oil will have it traveling the full length of the pin without making a mess on the outside. This helps prevent epoxy from getting in the hinge. I then push epoxy into the wing hinge slot and then I push the hinge into the wing about 80% of the way, then I use a Q-tip dampened in alcohol to wipe off the excess epoxy. After wiping one or two hinges  throw the Q-tip away and grab another so that you always have a clean one. I then push the hinge in to the location I want all the while making sure that all the hinges are even and square to the trailing edge. I know it sounds like a lot but once you get in the habit it goes pretty fast. I am not saying this is the only way, it's just the way I do it....Grins
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 06:19:44 PM by Greg L Bahrman »
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline wmiii

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 07:06:31 PM »
 I use 2 full strengh coats of nitrate, sanded, then, apply the carbon
fiber. Reason being is that nitrate doesn't shrink, and has more fillers
in suspension.

Walter
walter menges

Offline Rob Killick

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 11:18:13 PM »
Thanks Men ! :)

Nice clear and concise  y1
It'll be a cakewalk :) (I hope) .
Rob Killick , MAAC 33300

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2006, 11:47:06 AM »
Hi Rob,

Now you see the process!  I agree with Walter as to the use of Nitrate.  I use it fro all wood preparation.   I use the "non tautening" Randolph's tinted nitrate when I can since it has even less shrinkage than regular nitrate.  All nitrates shrink less than butyrate.  And nitrate does have more "body" than butyrate with no more (or ebem less) weight.  Nitrate is also "stickier" than butyrate for attaching any covering material.

You can use anything over nitrate, but don't use nitrate over butyrate, it can wrinkle it up.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2006, 01:28:25 PM »
I'm kinda in agreement with Winfred...silkspan shrinks and puts the wood into compression....greatly adding strength.
"Black Death"...carbon matt, has little strength other than tensile....if you are prone to dropping objects onto your flaps, use it.....t sure is easy... But if you want to add some structural strength, silkspan is the way to go.
As to using nitrate...great, if you are a World Class builder like Bill....but if you build like I do, you are likely to sand through to the nitrate prior to finish....and that's un-good.

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2006, 02:17:21 PM »
Rob: Getting the epoxy in the hinge slot can be made easier by taking an old #11 blade and with a Dremel cut off wheel cut groves sideways on the blade. Put epoxy on the blade and insert into hinge pocket all the way. When epoxy is in wipe off the outside with Qtip and alcohol. Saw this on one of Windy's tapes.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Rob Killick

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2006, 12:28:46 PM »
Thanks again ! :)

More info to fill my "grey matter"  x:
Rob Killick , MAAC 33300

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2006, 07:05:03 PM »
I'm kinda in agreement with Winfred...silkspan shrinks and puts the wood into compression....greatly adding strength.
"Black Death"...carbon matt, has little strength other than tensile....if you are prone to dropping objects onto your flaps, use it.....t sure is easy... But if you want to add some structural strength, silkspan is the way to go.
As to using nitrate...great, if you are a World Class builder like Bill....but if you build like I do, you are likely to sand through to the nitrate prior to finish....and that's un-good.

Hi Rich,

I tend to agre that silkspan, properly applied, will produce a *little* more strength to the wood for the reasons that Windy says.  The CF dies give a harder "shell" to any part it's applied to.  I especially like it in areas that are handled a lot.  But I still love silkspan and dope finishes!

As to the Nitrate use.  You don't build too shabby, so don't go blowing smoke here!  y1

The problem ain't in using nitrate as a base, it's that you better be careful if you try to use it over butyrate. (which I have done in spots and got away with).

Thanks for the compliment.............. I think............ ~^

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2006, 09:22:42 PM »
I have always used silkspan but I find that I need to pay attention to trying to do both sides at the same time to prevent warps do to the shrinkage. I guess anytime you use dope it's always a possibility. How about you ???
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2006, 09:39:07 PM »
I have always used silkspan but I find that I need to pay attention to trying to do both sides at the same time to prevent warps do to the shrinkage. I guess anytime you use dope it's always a possibility. How about you ???

I do the second side as soon as I get the first side trimmed off., before the silkspan can get "dry".  I always cover with wet silkspan, just doping around the edges to seal it down. I put music wire in the "horn holes" and put a can on that to let then hang off the edge of the table.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here