News:

• April 27, 2024, 08:57:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fixing a screwup  (Read 1329 times)

Offline Ty Marcucci

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Fixing a screwup
« on: August 05, 2007, 08:51:33 PM »
When I remove the masking tape from a paint job, I like to use my heat gun to make sure the tape gets soft and does not pull up any paint. Works like a charm. BUT, for info, do not let the gun stop moving. I did, while tangled in some really sticky tape, and bubbles appeared on my  nice new paint job. ARRGGHH.

So, this morning I tried something out of desperation. I didn't want to sand and repaint, because the pearl paint is almost impossible to match.  I took a long bristled round artists brush and applied some full strength Rejuvenator to the bubbles. After about ten minutes I rubbed the bubbles down. Applied a second coat of rejuvenator and did the rub down again. Almost can't see the spot now. Lots of clear and some rubbing compound should fix it up.  The rejuvenator has dope softeners in it and lots of plasticiser. #^ <=
Ty Marcucci

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: Fixing a screwup
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 09:24:19 PM »
nice move Ty, good thinking
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 07:43:26 AM »
Great Save Ty,
FWIW, I would reccomend going to the auto paint store and invest in some auto painters tape, I never have to, or need to use any heat to remove it. Saves that risk
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 11:14:11 AM »
Hi TY,

What brand/type of "auto painter's tape" ? 

There are some HUGH differences in them.  I only use the 3M blue (WITH THE ORANGE SPOOL!!!!, and it looks almost like Jap tissue, not crinkled) on painted surfaces.  It sticks fine but removes after a week with no effort.  The 3M Green auto masking tape is great but not on our paints/planes, it grips TOO tight.  I have not found ANY *tan* tape that works like I want it to.

I still use the 1/8th blue 3M vinyl tape for curves, but I am ordering some pinstriping tape that Randy Powell told me about.  I did use the thin, translucent 3M stripping tape, but it doesn't work as well for me.   The Tamiya Masking Tape is also excellent.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 06:55:45 PM »
I use 3M drafting tape. 3/4" rolls cut to width with a straight edge rule 48" long, on a cutting mat. It sticks just the right amount, narrow strips go around curves well, and it is just plain easy to use. Never had it pull up dope.
Jim Kraft

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 08:07:43 AM »
I use the 3M blue vinyl tape and the orange coded blue paper painters tape from 3M. The others I tossed. Too many times I have pulled up paint and it is disheartening. H^^

Hi Ty,

The only problem I have found with the orange coded tape is the COST!!!!! LOL!!!!  But, I would rather spend the $4 (??) for a roll of tape than have the aggravation of pulling up paint! ;D
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 08:50:21 AM »
Bill------here is something that works real good for masking rasiuses..............

I use the same 3M tape you do. I buy it in 2 inch width. For radiuses I clean a piece of glass and lay a strip of tape on it then cut a piece thin enough to make tha radius. I've cut it as thin as a thirty second. This beats the heck out of buying a bunch of different width pinstriping tapes. Works real good..... y1

Ty, try the 3M tape...it really is low tack and pulls off easily.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 09:40:56 AM »
Bill------here is something that works real good for masking rasiuses..............

I use the same 3M tape you do. I buy it in 2 inch width. For radiuses I clean a piece of glass and lay a strip of tape on it then cut a piece thin enough to make tha radius. I've cut it as thin as a thirty second. This beats the heck out of buying a bunch of different width pinstriping tapes. Works real good..... y1

Ty, try the 3M tape...it really is low tack and pulls off easily.

Hi Frank,

I will do just that.  Have cut strips of tape in a long time..... just got lazy and used the pin stripe tape!  LL~   LL~ H^^  D>K
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 09:42:12 AM »
3M makes a regular "crinkled" blue masking tape on a BLUE ROLL, I would NOT USE IT for wrapping garbage.......
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 10:32:08 AM »
Bill,

Well, you have to be careful which blue tape. The really thin painters blue tape works pretty well except that it doesn't stick to paper all that well unless you use a bit of pressure. It's light blue. The dark blue stuff is junk.

On radius stuff, I usually avoid the 3M blue tape because it just doesn't hold position. It will pull back from corners if you don't secure it with mask almost immediately and even then it's dicey. I usually either use Frisket and cut the radius with a scalpel or use black electrical tape and cut it to shape. It kinda depends on how complicated it is. For the really complex shapes, it's Frisket. If it's just a tight curve, I cut a piece of electrical tape. In either case, it stays put.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 08:43:14 PM »
Ty,

A heat gun, or hair dryer, is always a great thing to use when removing tape.  Unfortunately, being lazy or in a hurry, I think I can get by "this time".  Of course, most of the time I do that, I "don't"!  LL~ LL~ H^^

Thanks for the tip on the rejuvenator, I have a jar of Brodak's and I will keep it in mind. y1
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2007, 09:23:49 PM »
Ty,

You're welcome to go though the shop trash can after I repaint the Cobra.  LL~
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)