News:

• April 27, 2024, 12:17:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: First Nobler.  (Read 7173 times)

Offline Dwayne Donnelly

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Balsa Beavers Toronto Canada
First Nobler.
« on: February 17, 2024, 08:53:27 AM »
After 50 years of modeling I'm building my first Nobler.
Thanks Len
 #^ y1
My purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: First Nobler.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2024, 10:24:38 AM »
About time, I was a few years younger!  ???

ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2024, 10:28:52 AM »
I started my first and only "green box" Nobler is 1972 and it took me years to get it in the air.  By that time mufflers were mandatory.

Back in the 1960's there were so many Top Flite Noblers with Fox 35 Stunts that people were sick of seeing "just another Nobler".  The addition of the weight and power loss of the muffler killed the deal for many of us.

The Nobler challenge of today is to get a muffled engine that will fly the plane as well as 6-ounce wide open Fox 35.
Paul Smith

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2024, 10:35:48 AM »
The Nobler challenge of today is to get a muffled engine that will fly the plane as well as 6-ounce wide open Fox 35.
It is quiet and it is stronger that any Fox 35 - Cobra 2820/12.

ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2024, 11:12:05 AM »
My first Nobler was a Chrstmas present that didn't didn't arrive in time.  Folks were upset but the Nobler had just been advertised in the magazines.  I built it with a McCoy 35 Redhead for power.   Dad would launch for me .   I think I totaled it at City Park when the engine quit in a bad spot.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2024, 12:40:04 PM »
The addition of the weight and power loss of the muffler killed the deal for many of us.

Who says you have to do anything different?  You can still build a green box Nobler and put an unmuffled Fox on it. I did it as late as 1982.   Nobody is doing anything at all to prevent you from doing exactly what you want to do.

Well, one thing - *it's not competitive*.

Almost anything you can get from the 90s or later will achieve that. I think I have around a dozen different engines that have mufflers and will fly the plane better than a Fox 35, anyone can have the same.  I also have Fox 35s.   

Brett

Offline Dwayne Donnelly

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2024, 01:41:59 PM »
Thanks for the replies, my engine will be a Fox 35 with stuffer back plate, Brian Gardner ABC and hemi head,  if I keep the weight to 40 oz. or lower it should pull it no problem.

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2024, 08:56:05 AM »
Thanks for the replies, my engine will be a Fox 35 with stuffer back plate, Brian Gardner ABC and hemi head,  if I keep the weight to 40 oz. or lower it should pull it no problem.
A decently fit box stock Fox .35 will do fine in your Nobler up to 44-45 ounces.  ( they've done it for decades)  It CAN be competitive for many  things short of a top 20 spot at the Nats,   however you would use an airplane like this mostly for Classic events where it will be as good as anything.  Most things you can do to a Fox will not really add power- just change it's run characteristics some,   many in the effort to eliminate the 'Fox burp' which is not much to worry about anyways and occurs mostly when mounted horizontally on profiles.   The new Jim Lee Silver Bullet head will stop that if it concerns you.  I do agree that adding a muffler is counterproductive on a Fox due to added nose weight , power loss and engine overheating.  I'm sure I could not get one to cycle as I like it to with a muffler for these reasons.  If I HAD to use a muffler I would lean towards something like a modern .25 Thunder Tiger or Enya .25SS that can produce enough thrust running near full bore but add very little more weight in the nose.  Using a carbon spinner can save over an ounce in the nose as well as using light wood props.  To kill a classic-add muffler.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Dwayne Donnelly

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2024, 12:20:32 PM »
Coming along nicely.  ;D

Offline Drew_Uth

• New Pilot
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2024, 12:23:51 PM »
Has anyone ever modded one to have the engine mounted upright instead?  I have one to build, planning on starting it when the weather warms up, and have been wondering about this.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2024, 03:32:25 PM »
Has anyone ever modded one to have the engine mounted upright instead?  I have one to build, planning on starting it when the weather warms up, and have been wondering about this.

Probably, but its a lot harder to start that way.

Brett

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2024, 04:16:22 PM »
Not sure why you would want to do that but if you did:   You really would need to lower the thrust line more than an inch to get the engine and tank into a zone that won't really screw up the vertical CG.  By the time you accomplished this you'd have so drastically changed the airplane that it really isn't a Nobler any more.  To get an idea of how much change compare the plans of the Palmer Veco Thunderbird I (upright) vs. the Thunderbird II (inverted).  These are really two different airplanes.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2024, 07:36:45 PM »
The Nobler's grandaddy was the Chief.  It originally had an upright engine. Maybe if you just built the fuselage upside down and moved the stab you could make a reasonably good flying plane look weird and probably not fly very well.  But, I am the ultimate tinkerer so go for it if it floats your boat.  Surprise us all.  Do a build thread and by all means a maiden flight video.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Dwayne Donnelly

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2024, 06:46:13 AM »
Got the colours and some trim on.

Offline Richard Fleming

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2024, 07:47:27 PM »
very nice!
AMA 83080
AHRMA 9827

Offline Robert Whitley

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2024, 10:48:38 PM »
Very nice Dwayne.
Where in Canada do you live?

Offline Dwayne Donnelly

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2024, 06:05:19 AM »
Very nice Dwayne.
Where in Canada do you live?

Thanks Robert, I live in Kingston ON.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here