News:

• April 27, 2024, 12:46:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Finishing- Jan 07 MA article  (Read 2313 times)

Offline airbrush

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Finishing- Jan 07 MA article
« on: December 28, 2006, 08:15:12 PM »
Did you guys read the finishing article in the Jan 07 MA, under the CL stunt column?
 Maybe it's me, but I try to follow it in my mind, it's like some steps are missing.
I get up to where he says to cover the bare wood with silkspan or .002 CF veil,
then next thing I know he's filling holes (in the CF??) with talc/dope. He never
mentions covering the wings or anything else with silkspan, when do you do this?
after or before filling in the wood/cf grain. or is it during the initial couple of clear coats?
I 've never used dope (always monokote) so I'm a little confused.

thank you,
airbrush
james

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: Finishing- Jan 07 MA article
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 08:27:29 PM »
Have to say, I haven't gotten my Jan 7 MA yet, so I can't comment on Phil's article. But in general, the idea is you give the airframe 2-4 coats of clear, sand, cover with wet silkspan (or dry CF depending on the area - can't put CF over open bays). Usually, I just seal the edges of the wet silkspan with dope and let it dry. Then one coat of full shrink dope then 3 or 4 more of non-taunting dope. All coats after this are done with non-taunting dope.Sand, then go back and sand it again. Check for thin spots and possibly hit those areas with a bit more dope and sand again. Then a coat of fillercoat. I use either talc or zinc-sterate (Randy Smith's Aero-1 is pretty cool stuff) mixed in clear dope with a bit of gray dope to give it a bit of color and make it easier when sanding. Then, big surprise, it's sanding time again. Go back and hit low spots with more fillercoat and sand some more. When you're happy with it, another coat of clear to seal things up.

At this point, some will paint silver dope on to highlight low spots that can be filled. Once you do that and are happy with the surface, another coat of clear and it's time for color.

Everything past the silkspan covering, I use a spray gun to apply all material, but that's me. And remember, no finish is ever really done, just abandoned.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 10:45:24 PM »
Randy,
a truer statement was never uttered. I never thought about it that way in that terminology, but how totally true. Same applies for restoring cars. The 56 (ford)Tbird is on its 4th prime block phase and it is really really straight now. But its gonna get at least one more Prime and block before its wetsanded. Will it be perfect, well no, will anyone but me be able to see the imperfections, maybe 2 or 3 percent of the people, but it will be time to as you say, abandon it. no more practical gain for the investment
That phrase is now in my knowledge base to stay, good motivator to pick up the sandpaper again too,,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 10:49:42 AM »
Mark,

It is a good point and I keep it in mind when finishing. Sometimes it depends on the amount of time I have to complete a plane. But when time is not a constraint, you have to evaluate when you reach the point of dimishing returns. I have said to myself before, "well, that's as good as I can make it" at various stages of the finish process. As time goes on and experience accumulates, that point moves farther down the line, but I've yet to build a perfect plane. No where near. I've had a few finishes that I felt were acceptable and a couple that I was relatively proud of, but none that I felt couldn't have been better. Sometimes a lot better. And like you, I know where every flaw is.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Keith Spriggs

• Captain
    • khspriggs
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 03:23:35 PM »
Something that I often use on cars that should work on planes also. After the plane is completely sealed and block sanded wet the surface. Look at the reflection of some straight line ((a bare fluorescent works real good) anywhere that you see that the reflected line is wavy it means there is a low spot there.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006, 03:36:33 PM »
another method, use wax and grease remover, it wont bead , so gives the gloss effect without rippling like water can due to surface tension differences. Also immediatly after spraying sealer or primer, typically there is enough gloss to do the same thing.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2006, 04:11:52 PM »
The tried and true method (such as it is) is candling. Low lights and a candle (or preferably a small flashlight). Just shine it down the surface in a dimly lit room and mark the low areas. They stand out pretty well with this method. This is why silver undercoat is popular. Use the flashlight in a dim room with a silive finish and the flaw practically jump out at you. Even very minor ones.

First rule of custom auto painting: if you're not absolutely sure of the body work, don't paint it black...or silver.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here