News:

• April 27, 2024, 02:38:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Finishes  (Read 1282 times)

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
Finishes
« on: February 18, 2006, 08:05:02 PM »
I was sent this letter and I will respond when the Satona is ready to paint in detail.

Here is the letter:

Robert, I have been admiring your work - as seen on the Stuka Stunt Forum - for some time.  (And, this forum looks like it will be even better ...)

I'm especially impressed with your finishes.  I'm an old combat flier whose idea of a great finish has been 8 to 10 coats of light clear dope sprayed on silk over an open framework, with perhaps a coat or two of color for trim on small sections of the airplane.  ;D

So, my challenge is this: How about telling the rest of us how you do it, or - maybe I should ask - with what do you do it, and where do you purchase the products?

I understand much of the "secret" to a good finish is lots of elbow grease ...  What I'd like to know is, exactly what products do you use, from raw balsa wood to final top coat?  You've alluded to several products at times, but I've never been able to find a step-by-step guide to all of the products you've used on a particular airplane, and what compatibility issues there might be.

Should be two weeks.
AMA 12366

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: Finishes
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 04:02:36 PM »
I'll be watching too. Thanks.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey