News:

• May 04, 2024, 02:40:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: FILLETS.......Super-Fil vs AeroPoxy lite  (Read 4219 times)

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
FILLETS.......Super-Fil vs AeroPoxy lite
« on: April 01, 2007, 08:23:51 PM »
I tried them both and really couldn't find much difference as far as application goes. The Super-fil definitely sands easier than the Aeropoxy, that doesn't mean I like it better just a observation. I know that AeroPoxy is not real easy to sand, but knowing that ahead of time you try to put the fillets in so that they need very little sanding which is not real hard to do. The shaping is done while it is wet and pliable. I actually found it a little easier to use the AeroPoxy of course I am used to it. This is my first try with Super-Fil and it really presents no problems either. I think either will work just fine. I think the most important thing with either is patience. The Super-Fil is light blue and the AeroPoxy is a reddish brown, it looks almost pinkish in the picture. I find the Super-Fil sands easier than the AeroPoxy. But for me that really doesn't matter much as I don't plan on sanding very much anyway. IMHO They both are really good. I think talking with someone who has done it is a big help. Tape off the area to be filleted to prevent a mess on the rest of the plane. Also tapping off the area to be filleted is a big help in keeping the fillet width uniform as it acts as a guide for you. I used an ice cream stick to put the material in the corner. Bob Reeves suggested I try a marble glued on the end of a stick. It produced the best fillets I have done especially around the leading edge of the wing. Clean up any excess off your guide tape. Have paper towels and alcohol available before you start. If you not happy with the looks of the fillet after you put it in, just wait a few minutes and then put some alcohol on your finger and you can run your finger over the fillet and it will smooth out any rough spots. Make sure you have alcohol on the full length of the fillet before you start dragging your finger over it so it will slide easily. If it's not wet it will stick to your finger. No matter how bad it looks going in, it will shape up nice with a little finger work. This works for both AeroPoxy and Super-Fil. I like them both and will use each in the application that suits it best. Kind of fun to play with this stuff. I find the AeroPoxy to be a little smoother than the Super-Fil, not that it's a difference that makes a difference, it just seems to be a little creamier. I think because of the coarseness of the Super-Fil it might give a better grip for the primer.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 09:34:01 PM by Greg L Bahrman »
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: FILLETS.......Super-Fil vs AeroPoxy lite
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 05:08:37 AM »
I'm partial to the Super Fil product. It is very easy to lay into the fillet areas and it sands extremely well.
Attached are a couple of photos of my Caprice under construction with Super Fil fillets.

Bob Hunt

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 05:28:38 AM »
Bob;

I have never used Super-Fil, by your photo I take it you have to mix it? Are there any special tricks to mixing it or is just following the instruction the way to go?

"Billy G"   D>K
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 06:26:57 PM »
Bob;

I have never used Super-Fil, by your photo I take it you have to mix it? Are there any special tricks to mixing it or is just following the instruction the way to go?

"Billy G"   D>K

It's an easy instruction to follow, 2 parts A (blue) to one part B (white). My instructions say weight or volume still 2 to 1.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 09:20:25 PM by Greg L Bahrman »
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 06:33:41 PM »
One more question and I will leave you alone OK  I can't get it locally HS does not carry it. Who has it mailorder?

"Billy G"   ::)
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 06:41:30 PM »
One more question and I will leave you alone OK  I can't get it locally HS does not carry it. Who has it mailorder?

"Billy G"   ::)

Hi Bill,
I got mine from Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co.
1-877-477-7823. I ordered with a credit card and got it in about 3 or 4 days. I bought it online at their site.   www.aircraftspruce.com
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 08:07:47 PM by Greg L Bahrman »
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 06:49:27 PM »
Thank-you Greg;

"Billy G"   #^
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 03:04:41 AM »
I had so much trouble with the other stuff, that I came close to stepping on the "JD Falcon" prototype 4 years ago. (Glad I didn't since it is a superb airplane)

A friend in Ohio put me on to Super-Fil, and told me that Billy uses it.

I end up grinding and cutting away all the fillets and replacing them with the Super-Fil.

I have never looked back. SuperFil is the only material that I will use.
AMA 7544

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 10:15:18 AM »
Tom,

Me, too. I've used it for about 5 years after hearing about it from a guy that used it on a full scale "kit" plane. I'll never use anything else.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 10:32:37 AM »
Well I just ordered some and as long as I was on the site I bought some clear but. dope and but. thinner by Randolph. Might as well try it at least.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 10:56:40 AM »
Well I just ordered some and as long as I was on the site I bought some clear but. dope and but. thinner by Randolph. Might as well try it at least.

You will not be disaponted with Randolph's Dope products.  They make Brodak's Dope.  There are only a couple companies producing our dope products and Randolph's is probably the biggest.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Ron Merrill

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007, 01:37:56 PM »
Hey guys, having used only aero poxy lite lately, does super-fil mix by weight and what is the shel life once the containers are open? I used aero poxy on my LA Heat and mixed by weight as usual and it is not drying completely. I didn't put a date when i opened it  '' so!!!!!!!!! i think it was too old. HB~> If all i here is good about super-fill, i will order some.  #^ Thanks.

Offline steve pagano

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2007, 01:56:21 PM »
What's the drying time for the super-fil?
Success isn't a destination.It's a journey!!!!!
A.M.A. 820-823

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2007, 02:11:14 PM »
Hey guys, having used only aero poxy lite lately, does super-fil mix by weight and what is the shel life once the containers are open? I used aero poxy on my LA Heat and mixed by weight as usual and it is not drying completely. I didn't put a date when i opened it  '' so!!!!!!!!! i think it was too old. HB~> If all i here is good about super-fill, i will order some.  #^ Thanks.

Hi Ron,

I first heard about Super fil from Mr. Bob Hunt.  Then Billy Werwage.  Later, Tom Nieburh...........  that was enough for me!  (now Randy Powell is taking credit! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!  love ya Randy!)

It is made for full size aircraft, but it's light and sands like 3 lb "A" grain balsa!

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2007, 02:36:43 PM »
Steve: The web site says to let dry overnight. But with Super fil you get 1qt (total of both parts) for 19.99 and aeroPoxy is 15.00 for 6oz (total both parts).
Leester
ama 830538

Offline steve pagano

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2007, 02:40:16 PM »
Steve: The web site says to let dry overnight. But with Super fil you get 1qt (total of both parts) for 19.99 and aeroPoxy is 15.00 for 6oz (total both parts).

Well in my book super-fil wins by a land slide  **)
A.M.A. 820-823

Offline steve pagano

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2007, 03:42:29 PM »
Just checked out the web site, Its says to messure it by weight. How do you guys do it? and if by weight what kind of scale are u using?
A.M.A. 820-823

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2007, 05:03:26 PM »
Steve,

Depends on how much I'm mixing. If just a bit I do it by gosh and by golly, if a little more I use a gram scale. Just make sure it's in above 50 degree temps while it's drying (workable in about 18 hours, hard in 24 to 36). The only time I've had trouble with it drying was when I left the plane out in the shop in below 50 degree temperature. Had to bring it in and put it by the dryer for a couple of days for it to harden up.

Bill,

I'm not taking credit for anything. I used it on a couple of planes 5 or so years ago and liked it so I kept using it, but didn't think to mention it on "the boards" till someone asked about fillet material.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2007, 05:47:03 PM »
(snip)
Bill,

I'm not taking credit for anything. I used it on a couple of planes 5 or so years ago and liked it so I kept using it, but didn't think to mention it on "the boards" till someone asked about fillet material.

I know that Randy............... just sometimes you guys from the rain drenched NW seem so serious.........  maybe it's because y'all get very little *clear* sunlight??   

I have to poke some fun at you sometimes. y1   LL~ LL~
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2007, 12:52:04 PM »
Poke away Bill. "my blood is thick!" (an old Klingon saying).
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2007, 01:43:45 PM »
Poke away Bill. "my blood is thick!" (an old Klingon saying).

You know, Randy........ I bet we would have a great ol' time at the end of practice when it's been 110* heat index and everyone feels so wore out that all we could do was bust each other's.............chops!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2007, 11:12:06 AM »
To Steve...

How do you weigh it?

The Gram/Ounce scale shown here can be purchased in stationery stores (for weighing mail) or Auto part stores (a carburator float scale) for about 5-6 bucks, Great for weighing balsa, wheels, spinners, etc.. Even "The Blue sh.."  S?P

I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2007, 09:02:00 PM »
I will say this, Aircraft Spruce is quick. I ordered and it was shipped wed the 4th (Fed ex ground) It was waiting when I got home today. From Ga. to Il.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2007, 08:11:45 PM »
The shelf life is stated to be 2 years from the time that you open the containers. I have stuff that is older and usually just microwave both jars for about 30 seconds and go use it. Seems to work fine for me.
Dennis

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here