News:

• May 04, 2024, 04:19:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fillet Blister Prevention-can it be done?  (Read 1501 times)

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Fillet Blister Prevention-can it be done?
« on: June 11, 2006, 06:40:10 AM »
Is there any way to prevent those pesky blisters from forming in the fillets?

I just cut a slit through one on my new Victory and am about to start the repair. As I was cutting I kept thinking that this is something that ought not happen.
I've seen a lot of posts about fixing them but nothing about preventing them. DOES THIS MEAN BLISTERS CAN'T BE PREVENTED?

I used SIG silkspan to cover the plane and butyraterate dope to seal the wood and stick the tissue down.
1/2 hour epoxy and micro balloons make the fillets.
Rattle can "dupli-color" primer. Brodak dope the rest of the way to the top.

Where did I go wrong? 
Just look at this picture...........If I wasn't bald already I'd be ripping out my hair!!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 07:17:13 AM by frank carlisle »
Frank Carlisle

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
Re: Fillet Blister Prevention-can it be done?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 09:24:31 AM »
Yes you can achieve a finish with no blisters. I use epoxolite and micro balloons. You must use primer at least on the fillets. Do not I repeat DO NOT spray directly on the fillet.

The reason that blisters happen is that the first coat is gassing off and the top coat is already dry. The fillets are so hard that no air can escape downward so it gasses up through the top coat. So just dust paint on fillets and let dry throughly between coats.
AMA 12366

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 11:18:58 AM »
I use epoxolite and/or aeropoxy and have never had a fillet bubble. Sand the fillets after they have had a day or so to cure, clean with prepsol to remove any left over resin or junk, use a brush to applyn one coat of Brodak primer and let dry for at least a day. Sand the primer and they are ready to paint. Follow Roberts advice from here and you should never have another fillet problem.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 09:05:45 PM »
Frank

Most all of these  are  caused  by  too  much  dope, if you measure with a mic  the  thickness, most will find it  at least
2 to 3 times  thicker  than the  rest  of th e finish.
when you paint the  planes  you  don't need  to spray the fillet  area...it  will get more  dope than the rest of the plane  from just the  overspray  hitting  the  corners  of the fillets  and  piling there.
The  reason they pull up and  blister is because the  dope is  thicker, and  when it starts  to dry  it  will start to shrink...when this  happens  it  will pull  loose  from the surface, because  a s Sparky  has  said, it drys  slowest  at  the fillet  underneath  the surface of the dope

regards

Randy

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 05:20:05 AM »
I'll certainly stay away from the fillets in the future. In the meantime my plane is popping up blisters almost as fast as I can fix them.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 08:56:39 AM »
A little humor there, damn little<=

Hey, what did I do??????????

x: **) **) **) **) %^ n~ n~ n~
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Eric Viglione

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 07:36:39 PM »
Since I like my pasta with olive oil & garlic  **), the only way I can avoid fillet blisters when using dope finish is to buy a big box of surgical gloves and use them when handling the unfinished plane.
 j1 Never, never, ever lay a bare finger on the fillets once installed. As tempting as it is to fondle the woodwork, my skin doesn't touch the plane until after paint.  I also give a quick swipe with the Sherwin Williams version of Prepsol to the fillets before shooting, and as said by others here, never shoot directly at the fillet area.

Since I've gone to the Klasskote epoxy paints  this is no longer an issue though I still use the gloves just for habit's sake and to keep the chemicals off me when I'm painting.

EricV

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 09:44:43 PM »
Welll eexxcuusse me.  n~  I thought yer name was spelled with a capital L?  Why aren't you in PA??

"Why aren't you in PA??"

Two words: Job, Money   y1
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here