News:

• May 12, 2024, 06:43:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fiberglassing a fuselodge  (Read 639 times)

Offline John E Rakes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Fiberglassing a fuselodge
« on: February 04, 2009, 11:51:07 AM »
Considering my first dealings with fiberglassing my fuse and rudder for a built up Cardinal. I have the basic principles of how to do this. I am going to use zpoxy and silkspan ( sorry i did say fiberglass, this can also be an option). I understand to keep epoxy warm while applying. Does this speed up the drying process eventhough you thin out with alcohol or acetone. Seems to me it would speed up the drying process and limit your time even more. But hey thats why I am asking. Another option would be to use polyacrylic and silkspan, I like this idea better for I am familiar with this dealing with furniture and things like that. Any recomendations on this wold obviously be a help. Thanks John Rakes

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Fiberglassing a fuselodge
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 07:35:04 PM »
There is also stuff called 2 Hour Finishing epoxy.

I've done a few projects with it. You have a good 45 minutes to an hour "working time" to 'card' the resin through the glas or silk or CF (very carefully! It throws stray fibers) to where it looks like there's no resin on the fabric. (Carding - using an expired credit card or similar to drag the liquid resin into and through the "fabric", then scrape the collected juice into the mixing cup, and a wipe with isopropyl alcohol to clean the card edge for the next wipe.)

Finally, laying paper towel across the epoxied surface can draw a bit more resin out. Blot it down, then peel it off like masking tape, folded over back onto itself. The resin is heavy. The "fabric" will be there in any case. Getting the "weight of resin equal to the weight of fabric" is a basic rule of thumb. ANY excess you can card or blot out is weight the wings won't have to carry.

The 2 Hour stuff deserves a full 24 hours to let cure. After that, a light dusting with 360 or finer should be a good start to a smooth surface. From there on, it is basically a filler and clear build-up to color and gloss coats. ....But without the first coats soaking in and disappearing...
\BEST\LOU

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here