News:

• May 06, 2024, 09:27:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fancherized Twister Build  (Read 56539 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Fancherized Twister Build
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2012, 01:52:31 PM »
Something's wrong with this landing gear.  Maybe I needed to go fuse mount after all?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2012, 01:54:24 PM »
Ahh.  That's better.

I lost my old bender.  Dangit.  So I made a new one.  This one is better because I made the other one without the flat, and it'd rotate around in the vice.  A really cool one would be hexagonal -- but I don't have any hexagonal stock in my stash, and I ain't gonna make any!
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2012, 08:46:52 PM »
I don't see any plywood half-ribs there, Tim. The gear block should stay in for the first takeoff, tho.  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2012, 09:12:35 PM »
like Steve aid - you need to add a bit of structure to take the landing load.  Ply 1/2 ribs on each end of the gear block, and some 1/16th vertical grain shear webs front and back to box the area directly below the gear legs will give it much more resistance to bending / rotational loading when you come in a bit hot and the grass is dragging hard on the wheels / gear.
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2012, 09:15:56 PM »
I was worried about exactly that.  I'll see if I can find any published articles that detail structure, and see what I can sneak in.
AMA 64232

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2012, 07:34:10 AM »
Just a box made of sheet balsa that tie the gear blocks to both upper and lower spars, and ply 1/2 ribs to strengthen the ribs where the blocks are anchored.
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2012, 02:30:59 PM »
Well, thanks to you I'm adding a whole 1/3 ounce of wood to this airplane.  Probably 1/2 ounce all up.  You're looking at a pair of plywood half ribs, extended to catch the whole LG block right where it's stressed most heavily, and a pair of plywood shear webs that tie together the block, the new half ribs, and the receiver blocks for the LG wires.

I tested the structure, and I think I could have gotten away without it -- I can bend the LG wires up into the wing hard enough that if there were wheels on it they'd be poking into the covering, and I can bend them back and forth hard enough to tweak the wires, all without hearing a whimper from the wood.  But now I think I could do a maximum-velocity pancake into the tarmac and have the LG retain its integrity, even if the rest of the plane will be in flinders.
AMA 64232

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2012, 07:23:07 PM »
Tim...You're putting in more than two of those half-ribs, right? Two per side is marginal, three per side is a good thing for a rough field, esp. with mole holes.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2012, 11:52:41 AM »
and fuse mounted gear is even better yet,, the twister wing is a marvel of resilience,, it can take a lot of abuse and be easily repaired,, but poking gear legs through the center section sheeting is one of those fatal things for the wing,, IMHO,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2012, 12:16:46 PM »
and fuse mounted gear is even better yet,, the twister wing is a marvel of resilience,, it can take a lot of abuse and be easily repaired,, but poking gear legs through the center section sheeting is one of those fatal things for the wing,, IMHO,,

I've been seduced by the notion of trike gear, and by the fact that I've only suffered from one pilot-induced crash this entire year, and only four overall (all, by the way, over the asphalt at Delta Park -- that place is cursed).

If the wing does sustain damage from the gear, it's most likely going to be the wheels poking through the covering and perhaps breaking the lower spars in a pancake landing.  I'm pretty sure that the center section/gear assembly is now stout enough that anything that takes it out would have taken out most of the plane anyway.

I could do fuselage-mounted trike gear, but it'd have to reach way back from the front of the wing to the correct wheel location.
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2012, 12:33:34 PM »
Weight box.  Simple, easy to build, not too bad looking, you don't have to turn the plane over to add or subtract weight, etc.

It's sized to hold about 1.3 oz of standard steel 1/4" washers -- so there's no fumbling around looking for nice heavy-metal weights, either.
AMA 64232

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2012, 07:55:41 AM »
Simple cure for gear puncturing the wing, is to leave it off.   LL~ LL~  Besides look how more ground clearance you have then. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2012, 09:31:10 AM »
Wing tips help.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2012, 11:15:44 AM »
Wing tips help.
I'm not sure if you're pulling my leg or not -- the Twister calls out 1/8" lite-ply plates, so in using 3/16" balsa I'm doing both a weight and aesthetic upgrade.
AMA 64232

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2012, 12:36:14 PM »
I'm not sure if you're pulling my leg or not -- the Twister calls out 1/8" lite-ply plates, so in using 3/16" balsa I'm doing both a weight and aesthetic upgrade.

Thicker plates at the wing tip can help to make your covering job easier. Gives you more surface area for the covering to lay down on. Something like 1/2 plates can make your life a little easier.

Obviously, this is not critical-just FYI. :)
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline wmiii

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2012, 03:44:30 PM »
 I used 1" tips on both of mine, made covering easier yet.

Walter
walter menges

Online Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2012, 11:24:14 PM »
In Philly we've built many a Twister, modified and straight up. The feeling is that wingtips, instead of the flat butt cutoffs, assist flight characteristics. Easy enough to do.

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2012, 11:33:06 AM »
IIRC, the original Fancherized Twister utilized much thicker wingtips...maybe 1/2"--but were still flat with rounded corners "consistent with" the original.  I believe there was a picture in the Model Aviation Columns of the wingtip undergoing covering with monokote.  The edges of the wingtip block had been modestly rounded--maybe a 1/16" or so radius all the way round.  Then the flat "tip" was covered with one small piece of monokote ironed "around" the corners and then trimmed with a razor blade with just 1/8" or so on the flat "airfoil" edge.  This allowed the main covering to be applied to the "airfoil" edge of the tip with just a tiny overlap with the previously applied "tip" covering.   The main surface covering was then trimmed neatly "even with" the very end of the wing.  That left maybe 1/8" or so of overlap with that tip radiused piece. A hot iron gradually moved around the radiused tip left a nearly undetectable joint between the two but was permanently adhered.

This was a much easier and more elegant solution to attempting to cover the end of the tips with the same piece used for the top or bottom of the panel.  I can't even imagine trying to do it that way!

Ted

p.s.  I just verified that there are pictures of the process in the second of the three columns dedicated to the "FT".  It was in the August, September and October 1987 ('87!!!!) issues of Model Aviation and should be viewable on the AMA website.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2012, 12:00:58 PM »
Next time I'll use the thicker material.  At this point in the assembly I'd have to rip up a bunch of stuff and redo; I think I'd rather have a bit of hassle in the covering.

I'm planning on finishing the fuselage using the Polycrylic/Rustoleum system, and doing the wing tips at the same time.  That should take care of most of the curved portion, and I'm pretty sure I can get Monocoat to go over the rest.  Time will tell.
AMA 64232

Offline James D. Hayes

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2012, 05:52:09 PM »
Tim,

Twister is looking good, I'll be starting on mine next month, looks like fun, I'm about 2/3rds of the way through my Voodoo build, I'm having a riot with this build, just building it for fun, not worrying about being to fancy, just a decent fun flyer. Can't wait to start on my Fanched Twister.

Jim Hayes
AMA 988835
Just do it......

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2012, 02:01:45 PM »
One wing, out of the way.  On to the stab.
AMA 64232

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2012, 02:14:18 PM »
I love watching a plane get over engineered.
Steve

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2012, 04:26:36 PM »
I love watching a plane get over engineered.
How fortuitous.  I love over-engineering airplanes.
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2012, 07:30:39 PM »
Stab.  Yes, I should just whack it out of 3/16".  No, I ain't gonna.  This is probably going to weigh about the same, but it should be loads more rigid in torsion.
AMA 64232

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2012, 07:01:54 AM »
Stab.  Yes, I should just whack it out of 3/16".  No, I ain't gonna.  This is probably going to weigh about the same, but it should be loads more rigid in torsion.

Unless you cover it with plywood, I don't think so. The diagonal "ribs" only help in the fore/aft direction, not up/down or torsion.

Brett

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2012, 01:29:56 PM »
    Unless you cover it with plywood, I don't think so. The diagonal "ribs" only help in the fore/aft direction, not up/down or torsion.

I mostly agree with you on the ribs not helping in the up/down direction -- that strength depends mostly on the spars.  If the ribs were chordwise they wouldn't contribute at all -- but if you bow the stab downward at the tip, all the fibers in the tops of the ribs will be in tension, and all the fibers in the bottoms of the ribs will be in compression.  I don't think they contribute to any significant degree, however.  But, ignoring the ribs, the stiffness (not breaking strength) of a beam goes as thickness cubed, and the surface is twice as thick (3/8 vs. 3/16).  So if you ignore the leading edge, the trailing edge alone is eight times as stiff per unit of chordwise depth, which means that they're as stiff up and down as a slab of 3/16" material with a 3" chord. 

Ignoring the material that's going to get beveled off for hinging.  And unless I flubbed my math.

As far as the ribs helping in torsion -- they do.  Honest.  After trying to think my way through your comment without writing anything down I'm a lot less sure just how much they participate, or if my "more stiffer" comment holds, but if you fix the center of the stab and twist a tip, the fibers in the tops and bottoms of the ribs will be put in tension or compression; this will resist torsion on the stabilizer.  My gut feel is that it'll contribute at least as much torsional stiffness as the spar(s), but I couldn't prove that without doing a bunch of math, and if you took into account the fact that wood is an anisotropic material that's stiffer along the grain than it is across it, the ribs are going to look a lot better if you take that anisotropy into account than if you don't -- and I'm not that much of a structures guy.
AMA 64232

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #76 on: September 23, 2012, 01:38:29 PM »
Tim, how thick is the stabalizer of the "KISS!"? I know the ribs are diagonal, and since the covering has been baggy and loose for a few years now, you should be able to get a read on the torsional stiffness of it and use that as a reference.  y1 Steve

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2012, 01:58:01 PM »
Tim, how thick is the stabalizer of the "KISS!"? I know the ribs are diagonal, and since the covering has been baggy and loose for a few years now, you should be able to get a read on the torsional stiffness of it and use that as a reference.  y1 Steve

It's about 1/4" thick, and checking is a good idea.
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2012, 06:25:49 PM »
The 21" span stabilizer is just as stiff in torsion as the 18" span stabilizer that came with the kit.  And the kit stabilizer pencils out to being made of 22 pound wood (no kidding -- the thing weighs 1.8oz).  So my stab is bigger, nearly half as heavy, and just about as stiff (although more likely to shatter in a bad crash).

Here's the elevators, all framed up waiting for the glue to dry so that I can sand them to shape.
AMA 64232

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #79 on: September 26, 2012, 07:07:39 PM »
You are going to video this machines first flight, aren't you?
Steve

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #80 on: September 26, 2012, 09:31:45 PM »
I have no intention to.  But I promise wreckage pictures if I crash it.
AMA 64232

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #81 on: September 26, 2012, 10:03:41 PM »
Make the nose an inch longer than the Blue Meanie!  H^^ Steve

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #82 on: September 26, 2012, 10:45:24 PM »
Make the nose an inch longer than the Blue Meanie!  H^^ Steve
I was planning on building the fuselage hollow, for lightness.  Mike said something about plywood doublers on the fuse all the way back to the tail, which makes me think that maybe I'll get away with it.

But...

I hate the "will it balance" stage of fuselage construction.
AMA 64232

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #83 on: September 26, 2012, 11:10:48 PM »
Tim, I'm not sure if the aft end is hollow or not, and also not sure if it's 1/64" or 1/32" plywood. Ask Mike! When you build the 'hollow' fuselage, do NOT use any sort of white glue or other water based glue, 'cause it'll warp. CA or epoxy is good. FWIW, I built a CG Buster for NW Sport Race with 1/64" ply on the sides of the kit 1/2" balsa...like an oak plank in stiffness. Maybe overkill for a stunt model? The tail surfaces didn't vibrate at all, even with the Fox .35 wound up tight on a 9-6.  :X Steve 

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2012, 03:25:03 PM »
Tail feathers more done.  Still need to bevel & hinge.
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #85 on: September 28, 2012, 05:21:29 PM »
Tail feathers put aside, even if I don't have them hinged yet.

Steve, when you recommend not using water based glue on a hollow fuselage, I assume that was from grim experience.  How did you clamp the fuse up?  On a board with plenty of weights, "in the air" or what?  My two experiences with this have been positive -- but then, I do this by gluing it all up, then stacking every available heavy thing I have on top and leaving it alone for a day or two.

Fuselage sorta-started.  At least the plans are slapped down.  Aesthetic changes have been made in honor of Bob Hunt's 1976 Nationals win (and it makes the build easier, too).  I'll be using a 1/2" framework with 3/32" sides -- that pencils out to being just as stiff as a solid 1/2" fuselage, although more susceptible to breakage.
AMA 64232

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #86 on: September 29, 2012, 11:12:46 AM »
Tim, suggest some triangular gussets inside the tail area where the top and aft come together,, its a weak spot,, and the picture makes it look really short,, LOL,, I know its just angular distortion,, looking good man,, are you going to make Salem?
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #87 on: September 29, 2012, 11:18:25 AM »
Yes, I'm going to make Salem.

I'm not sure if it's clear from the foreshortened and sideways plan, but the last three or four inches of the fuselage -- following the plan of the Genesis -- are behind the elevator hinge line.  So I was kind of thinking of them as "fin", and scheming on ways of taking structure out, perhaps by shortening the actual fuselage laminate and replacing the back end with sheet.

Lots of structure around the stab mount has to be a good idea, though.
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #88 on: September 30, 2012, 05:26:07 PM »
Hmm.  My nifty supposedly-light hollow fuselage is going to come out heavier than Sig's.  Dangit.  Sooner or later I'm going to run out of all my rock-hard balsa; maybe I'll start building lighter then.

I will not make tapered hollow profile fuselages, I will not make tapered hollow profile fuselages, I will not make tapered hollow profile fuselages, I will not make tapered hollow profile fuselages, (repeat 500 times).

Steve, I hope that this isn't how you made up your fuselages that warped -- 'cause I didn't think I could get that all placed and weighted down before my 30 minute epoxy started kicking off, so I used Sig-Bond.  I'm planning on leaving it in the press for at least 24 hours, maybe 48.  We'll see.
AMA 64232

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #89 on: October 01, 2012, 10:14:23 AM »
Remember, Tim, that fuselage design will really emphasize square maneuvers.  The hard straight lines really show "flat" areas of the pattern.  The rounds may not present as well as another shape, but the experts can overcome it.  Just make sure you work on those squares! ;D

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Richard Entwhistle 823412

• Lieutenant
« Reply #90 on: October 01, 2012, 10:46:10 AM »
If you had used a Ford starter you could have straightened the fuse with a hammer.

Later
Richard
Richard Entwhistle 823412
Scappoose OR

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #91 on: October 01, 2012, 11:09:23 AM »
Richard:

I don't have a Ford Adjuster -- my hammers top out at two or three pounds.  But then, three out of four of the derelict vehicles on my property are GM, while only one out of three of the working ones are GM.

Bill:

I know -- Dick Mathis discusses fuselage shape and it's effect on judges perceptions in his book "How to Fly U-Control".  He sings the praises of a soft, swoopy fuselage shape to make mistakes on the straight lines less obtrusive.  To further his point, he has a very Mathis-ish drawing of a Chizzler on the same page.

So I built exactly the wrong thing for my skill level.  But that shape's been riding me for the last 25 years (since the August 1977 Flying Models, as a matter of fact), and I'm going to get it out of my system!

If I really wanted a fuselage shape to cover all of the flying sins at my skill level, it would have to look like this, but I ain't gonna build it:

AMA 64232

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #92 on: October 02, 2012, 12:25:54 AM »
Richard:

I don't have a Ford Adjuster -- my hammers top out at two or three pounds.  But then, three out of four of the derelict vehicles on my property are GM, while only one out of three of the working ones are GM.

Bill:

I know -- Dick Mathis discusses fuselage shape and it's effect on judges perceptions in his book "How to Fly U-Control".  He sings the praises of a soft, swoopy fuselage shape to make mistakes on the straight lines less obtrusive.  To further his point, he has a very Mathis-ish drawing of a Chizzler on the same page.

So I built exactly the wrong thing for my skill level.  But that shape's been riding me for the last 25 years (since the August 1977 Flying Models, as a matter of fact), and I'm going to get it out of my system!

If I really wanted a fuselage shape to cover all of the flying sins at my skill level, it would have to look like this, but I ain't gonna build it:

I resemble that Tim
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #93 on: October 08, 2012, 09:04:32 PM »
I'm out of harf-inch balsa!  Egad!

I'm laminating the left side nose cheek (ply & two sheets of 1/4") separately.  Then tomorrow when it's all set up I'll carve & sand it to a nice looong taper so it meets the fuselage smoothly, as Mike Haverly taught me (by the simple expedient of building the Kiss some time ago).

I like house jacks.  Not only can you jack up houses with them, but they make half of a nice clamp (with the Earth being the other half).
AMA 64232

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #94 on: October 09, 2012, 08:19:17 AM »
Been there and done that.  Also with bricks, cement blocks and stacks of encyclopedias.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #95 on: October 09, 2012, 09:02:59 AM »
Yup.  I was wishing for some cast-iron "bricks".  Maybe I should make some cement weights with handles for this kinda stuff.
AMA 64232

Joe Just

« Reply #96 on: October 09, 2012, 09:36:11 AM »
Or I could send you some of my broken fuselage parts.  Not only would they be heavy enough, but fairly pretty as well!
Joe

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #97 on: October 10, 2012, 06:39:47 PM »
In order: Some spacers to go through all the layers on non-maple between the motor and the mount, the nose mocked up ready for gluing and, the airplane mocked up for the Very First Time.
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #98 on: October 11, 2012, 01:40:28 PM »
Progress has been made.  Noses have been shaped.  Spinners have been fit to.  Nose gear has been bent.  Subjunctive case has been used.

Unfortunately, the wire that I thought was just barely long enough for the nose gear is just barely too short -- and I'm just about out of 1/8" music wire.  Ah well, off to Le Shop du Hobby to fling my hard-earned cash at someone.
AMA 64232

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #99 on: October 11, 2012, 01:44:17 PM »
If this flies like utter crap I'm really not going to be happy with myself.
AMA 64232

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here