News:

• May 05, 2024, 03:54:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: epoxy for general building??  (Read 817 times)

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
epoxy for general building??
« on: March 13, 2007, 09:36:30 PM »
Hey guys,
Since Hobby Poxy (my old favorite) is no longer available I have floundered about trying to find a good epoxy for general building.  Presently using Z Poxy but don't like some things about it--turns yellow and gets grainy.

What is the best for general building use?

Thanks,
Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
Re: epoxy for general building??
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 01:46:18 AM »
I just started using West Systems Epoxy with both the "Fast" and "slow" hardeners. I really like everything about it, so far. If you do go this way, be sure to get the appropriate pumps. Both hardeners mix with the resin ar a 1:5 ratio (5 parts resin to 1 part hardener), and it works by Volume or by Weight.

I do keep all the resin/hardener cans in a small box lined with paper towels to catch drips, but there haven't been any! Set-up times and Cure times are very close to the claimed performance. Temperature is important: Use the Slow Hardenerwhenever the temp is above 70, or pot-life will grab you. Likewise, use the Fast Hardener whenever temps are under 60, or set-up time is excessive.

Observe warnings regarding total volume, containers, and cleanliness and you'll be OK.
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Mike Ferguson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 10:13:05 AM »
Either West Systems or EZ-LAM.  They're essentially the same - and both are fantastic to use.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 10:22:28 AM »
Hey guys,
Since Hobby Poxy (my old favorite) is no longer available I have floundered about trying to find a good epoxy for general building.  Presently using Z Poxy but don't like some things about it--turns yellow and gets grainy.

What is the best for general building use?

Thanks,
Jim

Hi Jim,

Are we talking gluing ply fuselage formers (F-1, F-2), gluing bellcrank mounts/supports, etc.,  or "laminating" with epoxy?

I use the Smith Products (usually relabeled for the shop selling it) for all the "gluing" situations; 5, 15, or 30 min. types.   Never had a problem there.

Haven't used the West Systems for laminating, but hear it's excellent.  I still use Z-Poxy for f/g ellipses on foam wings, laminating "balsa/CF/balsa" nose doublers, etc..

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here