News:

• May 10, 2024, 12:06:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Epoxy Choices?  (Read 670 times)

Offline jim gilmore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Epoxy Choices?
« on: January 29, 2009, 10:59:03 PM »
Ok, I'm a little confused here. I thought the recommended epoxy for doing engine mounts/wing joints fuselage  doubles on a profile was a slow set epoxy, but when looking at my local hobby shop or even online all i am see is 5 min,6 min, 15 min,30 min aqnd 45 min. Arent there any epoxies in the 2 hour range ? Please be specific to product so I can get the rightn thing.... Thanks in advance.

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: Epoxy Choices?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 03:05:09 AM »
Everybody has their favorite brand but I use the Sig 30 min. 2 parts A to One part B. I'm sure there are 1 or 2 hr set up types but the 30 min. is just fine.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Terry Bolin

• Captain
  • Havin' the time of our lives!
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 06:19:35 AM »
The slowest I use is 30 minute. I add a little fiberglass or micro ballons to the mix too.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 01:58:17 PM »
I use West Systems epoxy (get it at the boat shop). I use 105 epoxy and then choose a hardener depending on what I'm doing. The standard 205 hardener gives you about an hour working time. There are others that are both slower and faster.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Pinecone

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 05:17:09 PM »
I use WEST also.  They have Fast, Slow, Tropical, and another hardener.

Neat thing is you can mix hardners to get in between times.

I find I mostly use Slow these days.
Terry Carraway
AMA 47402

Offline BillP

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 03:01:50 PM »
Don't let it worry you so much. All epoxies and cure times work fine. Their tenacity and strength is way more than even rock hard balsa can fully appreciate. Just make sure you pick a cure window that gives you enough time to assemble and align parts first.

When I use epoxy for models I do 30 min structural epoxy (from Aircraft Spruce for building full scale experimental airplanes) because that's what I keep in my shop. It works for airplanes to kitchen sinks. Mix it, then heat to thin it out for better penetration, apply to parts, let sit a couple minutes to soak, reapply and put the parts together. If truth be known my 20yr+ old cl & rc planes built that way with plain old Duco show no problems either...which is highly contrary to what I read is supposed to happen. I suspect it's more about building correctly than type glue...

Bill P.
Bill P.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here