News:

• May 02, 2024, 12:41:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Engine mount and CG  (Read 716 times)

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Engine mount and CG
« on: August 21, 2007, 09:07:11 PM »
I am about to epoxy the wing to the fuselage on a Sig Akromaster with Fox .15 and thought about drilling engine mounting holes first for ease of drilling without the wing in the way. On second thought, wouldn't i be better to mount the engine last since i have about an inch to play with to help out with getting the center of gravity closer to specs.  And might i add a sloppy wing to fuse fit, i guess i will use some thin ply for shims.  Tank will be standard vent 2 oz. perfect brand,  should i start out with the fuel feed line and center of carb lined up for stunt flying?  This is my first build other than 1/2 a in about 35 years.  Thanks for suggestions,   Ray
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Engine mount and CG
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 09:21:39 PM »
Ray,
what I do if I am not sure is to do a mock up. just put it together, hold stuff in place with tape if you have to. I  rubber band the motor in place with a prop and the projected muffler. Me personally I have had good luck with leaving the tank off to replicate the added weight of the tail covering. It will give you some idea anyway. At least you can see if you are even close. I have donethis the last two times and it seems to help warn me of problems ahead of time. Definetly not definitive but better than nothing
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Engine mount and CG
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 09:27:47 PM »
Good advice from Mark.

When I built my Akromaster w/TT15, I guessed and cut 5/8" off the nose.  Had to extend the engine cut-out back a little and left enough room for the tank.  CG came out slightly nose heavy, but not enough to worry about for the type flying I do with the little plane.

Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here