News:

• April 27, 2024, 08:11:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Endgame IV Build  (Read 112590 times)

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Endgame IV Build
« on: December 26, 2023, 02:29:46 PM »
I built Endgame as my last PA ship that I would fly till one of us died.  Well, it got murdered in a house fire, so I built Endgame II to take its place.  It flew OK but I have always wanted to try a canard, so I added one and II became Endgame III.  III is an unqualified success but I am still above ground and I have always wanted a twin PA.  I had one of those, I think it was Sterling, P-38's with two Fox 15's.  Ever try and get two Fox 15's to start at the same time?  It was a poor performer but the sound, ah the sound.  Well, after seeing Frank McMillen's twin which I commented on in the Endgame III thread it is official.  What appears to be the first twin canard is on the worktable.  There will be enough changes to give it a new name but it still has the same roots so it will be IV.  Aside from the twin setup it will have a 1" longer nose to give the canard more leverage and get it away from the props.  It will be totally in clean air so it should be even more effective.  One thing I noticed on III was that the large elevator/stab was too far back with the addition of the canard. The elevator became way too sensitive along with the logarithmic.   Great for corners but you have to fly it in-between them too!  So, I am moving it from 19 1/2 to 18 1/4.  I am switching airfoils from the Geo-Bolt to Geo-XL.  I used it on my Trifecta and the thinner wing seem to penetrate better and still have gobs of lift.  The last change I am making is going to inline.  I have no experience with this one so I am relying on those who have gone before to be right when they say that a twin electric should be inline.  I will post drawings/plans when they are finished for any and all to laugh at.  All suggestions will be appreciated.   

Things that I have to decide on include the logarithmic.  III has a tendency to "snap" in a turn.  What I mean is that if I need to increase my turn rate in a round just a little it seems to overreact and "snap" making me miss the bottom.  I attribute this to having the logarithmic set to transition too soon probably from adding the canard.  I can't change the logarithmic to fix it on III without replacing it, which I may do, but I can correct in on IV.  The question becomes, do I need a logarithmic at all with a canard?  III will turn as tight a corner as I want to fly and keep the wing in one piece.  I have yet to stall it in a turn or attempt a "bang" corner.  I have done maneuvers with corners so tight as to be annoying to those watching - without any stall.  Never thought that was possible.

I have another question but I will make it in a separate post, so my ramblings don't clog up Sparky's drive.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Endgame IV Build
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2023, 02:34:02 PM »
This is the question.  Do all of the horn, pushrod configurations have the same effect.  Ignore the logarithmic, it is only there because it reverses the direction of the elevator pushrod.  I really need to use #2.  All angles are 90 degrees to the pushrod.

Ken
« Last Edit: December 27, 2023, 09:18:48 AM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2023, 06:57:36 PM »
To me I built the Sarpolis canard to prove to prove to myself and others that they will fly and do a pattern.  I have witnesses to that when the LA 40 is set right.   So I constructed my version of a Ringmaster canard without the rear moving surface  The canard has no control of the plane until it gets moving through the air.  I had an LA 25 for power.  Had to extend the gear as far forward as I could get it so the plane would not nose over.  Once it got moving and control of the canard started it flew better than I fly.  I learned that is why the Sarpolis canard had the rear moving surface.  It was to keep the nose up until some speed was obtained.   Yes it was strange to look at while flying.   When I get to rebuilding the Ringmaster canard it will get a moving tail surface.  Works like an elevator.

By the way searched for canards on the internet.  A lot of good reading and why people who have built the Bert Rutan canards had to learn a few things.   They don't handle like a Cessna or Piper Cub.   D>K 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2023, 11:27:42 PM »
This is the question.  Do all of the horn, pushrod configurations have the same effect.  I really need to use #2.  All angles are 90 degrees.

Ken

Number 1 would be interesting to watch as flaps turn to wrong direction compared to elevator. L

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2023, 07:40:43 AM »
That was what sketching things in a hurry will do.  I was trying to illustrate the direction with a logarithmic and left that tiny bit of information out.  I will revise the illustration!  Thanks for pointing that out.  What about the other two?

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2024, 04:32:44 PM »
Construction underway.  First order of business is always the stab with me.  Then I make the fuselage.  Last, the wing.  Just me.  I like cockpit detail so I make the fuselage with a removable cockpit module so that I can work on it whenever I get the urge then glue it in at the last minute, of make it a hatch.

Some pictures. Stab is using pocket hinges from Mark Wood's skunkworks.  They are recessed 1/8" into the TE.  The TE is 1/2" thick and airfoiled from a .025 radius LE to a 5/16" TE.  1/32" thicker than the elevator Top and Bottom.  Used wire to protect the LE.  The elevator is 1/4" tapered to 1/8" with full span 1/4" fences on the TE.

Fuselage will have "X" bracing in place of formers.  Sides, top, bottom and center.  Remember how solid those old Comet  kits were.  Without all that pounding from an IC I think this construction shows promise. 

More to come.
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2024, 04:51:59 PM »
Got the aft fuselage framed.  The 1 1/6 sides are fine.  The twist capability is next to nil and I don't even have the bottom framing.  That goes on after the pushrod is in.  53 grams including the CF doublers in the unframed nose.  It is going to be a twin so all that will go in the nose is the battery and timer and perhaps the ESC's.  I haven't decided if I am putting them in nose or the wing.

Ken

For what it is worth.  That .3mm CF Sheet is fantastic.  It cuts with scissors and is stronger and lighter than plywoood.  The wing LE is reinforced for the pull test.  I am going to use .5mm for doublers in the motor nacelles.
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2024, 03:02:13 PM »
One step closer.  I have molded the top aft fuselage. 59 grams as it sits.  Seems a bit light since it only weight 53 grams before the top shell.  I will never use blocks again, that is for sure!  Still trying to figure out where to put the ESC's.  In the center with three long motor wires and short battery wires or in the nacelles with short motor wires and long battery leads.
I am using BadAss 2320-850 motors on a 2800mah 6s battery,  If I cheat and use 13gauge wire I should be OK either way.  I have a question on the long motor wires if anybody knows.  Should I twist them so that there is not a long stretch with them straight?  I suspect it doesn't matter.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Wolfgang Nieuwkamp

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2024, 03:03:14 PM »
Nice project!! An ESC does not like twisted motor wires. I would use the motor wires as supplied.

Regards,

Wolfgang

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2024, 04:01:42 PM »
Nice project!! An ESC does not like twisted motor wires. I would use the motor wires as supplied.

Regards,

Wolfgang
Thanks for following the thread.  You were the inspiration for my Canard.  IMHO it has been a huge success.   I hope you have had a chance to see it in action.  If not here is a link.

This was only the 4th or 5th flight on the plane so it is still *way* out of trim.  The overall pattern is still a bit rough but watch the corners!  These are about 1/2 the tightest it will turn.  It will do a 90 degree turn in about 2 plane lengths - scarry.  Unfortunately, it has a stock Geo-Bolt wing and I don't think at 68oz, the center section is strong enough to take that kind of corner over time. The only design issue that I encountered was a tendency to self-tighten in the rounds.  I got that trimmed out later by adjusting the flap elevator ratios.  The III has a logarithmic flap horn and it was allowing too much elevator in the rounds.  I am not going to use one in IV.  Don't need it with the canard.

I am going to stiffen the center section on the new one.  Partly because it is weak on the Geo-XL I am using in this build but also because it will be a twin and will need the extra support.

Ken
« Last Edit: January 20, 2024, 10:43:37 PM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Steve Glass

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2024, 11:33:00 AM »
I think that I read somewhere that there is a technical reason to always use short battery wires and long motor wires?  Rather than vice versa.

Steve

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2024, 11:43:20 AM »
I think that I read somewhere that there is a technical reason to always use short battery wires and long motor wires?  Rather than vice versa.

Steve
You are right.  I got that answered in another thread.  Thanks!

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2024, 10:54:39 AM »
My Phoenix Edge ESCīs work with 50 cm battery leads, Maybe cheaper ESCīs need shorter battery leads, because of their smaller input capacitor.
On the top horizontal of the square eights I noticed sudden RPM increase. Do you use the Circuit Flyer timer? That uses a gyro to influence the RPM when turning, I suppose.
Maybe you should test  my new timer, which does not use the gyro, but only keeps the line pull constant....

Best regards,

Wolfgang

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2024, 02:21:41 PM »
My Phoenix Edge ESCīs work with 50 cm battery leads, Maybe cheaper ESCīs need shorter battery leads, because of their smaller input capacitor.
On the top horizontal of the square eights I noticed sudden RPM increase. Do you use the Circuit Flyer timer? That uses a gyro to influence the RPM when turning, I suppose.
Maybe you should test  my new timer, which does not use the gyro, but only keeps the line pull constant....

Best regards,

Wolfgang
What is in that plane is a BadAss 3520-750, A Jeti Spin 66 and a Fiorotti timer.  You are correct, there is a small boost there when the g-force of the Fiorotti timer kicks in.  It is actually a signal to me that I made the maneuver big enough.  I tend to fly small, and I would not get the boost under 45.  It is really noticeable in the top half of the V8 and is also a signal that I have my intersection at 45.  It stays on for all of the overhead 8 unless I dip down too much.  It is a bit tricky to get set right and I have mine set higher than most because of the really strange winds we get over 45 degrees.  You can see in the background of the video a train track on a levy. When the wind is from anywhere near over those tracks, we get serious turbulence over 45.   Having the extra RPM's helps.  I guess my transition to electric is complete since I no longer pay any attention to the sound the motor is putting out in flight.  ::)

It is going to be interesting to see how the Canard responds in clean air.  Both props on the twin will be behind it.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2024, 04:21:49 PM »
What better use can there be for a cheap Chinese spinner than a radar dome doubling as a nose weight box!  Nose is shaping up nicely.  I am having to learn a new skill set to build with everything molded.  Al would be proud!

Tomorrow I build the Canard drive.  All that stuff needs to be in place before I can finish up the nose.  I am itching to start on the cockpit interior.  On the original I used wheel collars glued to the Canard to allow it to slide off of a 5mm carbon fiber rod and therefore be adjustable.  It worked great for about 2 adjustments then the CF rod started slipping.  So that was replaced with an arrow shaft that was fixed.  Both were anchored to the wing with ball bearings Epoxied to the fuselage.  My dream of having an extra surface to trim wings level went "poof".

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2024, 08:37:17 AM »
Ken, Burt Rutan would be proud of you.

Steve

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2024, 07:34:47 PM »
I am about to order the ESC's and motors from Russel at Okie.  I will be using 2 BadAss 2320-820's and I hope the Jeti Spin 33 ESC.  Problem is that the Spin 33 is only rated for a 5s battery but it is rated for 26 volts which is over 6s.  I have plenty of 5s 2800 batteries so that would be a good thing but I question if the 5s has enough head room for 2 motors.  I am having fun composing this plane.  I like to do things in random order.  Lots of subassemblies.  Right now I am building out the nose.  I will make the entire front top removable so that I can work on it and glue it on after the wing is installed.  Next step will be the bottom hatch.  That will be the tough one.  Need a mount for the nose gear.  First trike I have built since the 60's.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2024, 06:46:47 PM »
Progress is slow when you are making the cool stuff.  Never built using all 1/16.  It is scary but the end result is just as stiff and so light.  I am finding that .3mm CF Sheet makes a wonderful substitute for plywood and bass.  First it is lighter and second it makes you fingers itch for days after sanding it.  Here are some nose and fuselage shots and my combination nose wheel and battery box.  Matt - The Nose wheel is adjustable.

Ken

Added 1/2 of the Canard.  Composing this nose is fun.  Everything is a first!  Camera sure does distort things.  The tips on the Canard are swept back at 15 degrees.  Looks opposite in the pix.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 04:39:39 PM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2024, 09:49:31 PM »
The most difficult thing in making a new plane is making the second elevator, flap, or in my case canard.  They do look better with two.  The motors, esc and timer came today.  Haven't laid it all out yet.  I am still trying to place the ESC's where they will cool properly and not be a pain to service.  One question I have not answered to my satisfaction is whether they need to be separated and if so how far.  I will be using a 5s 2800 battery so I can get away with 18 gauge wire which matters since there will be 9' of it from the ESC to the motors!  (3@motor x 18").  "Bing" tells me that the wire will weigh 10 ounces - OUCH!.   I am still shooting for a "start the timer" weight under 70 oz.  I made a decision to go with a Geo-XL wing vs the Geo-Bolt I used on II & III because folks who have been at the electric game longer than I have convinced me that I didn't need the thickness of the GBolt. I sure hope they are right!

Some Pix of the "fun" stuff I have been working on.  I have found that if I build the wing first it wants to fly and I do a hurry up on the fuselage and stab.  So, I save the wing for last. 

The adjustable logarithmic is in the works.  I will skip the cam rudder.  With the separate settings in the Fiorotti timer for each motor I will not have any use for it.  The one fear I have with a twin is an inboard only motor failure.  Have any of you adventurous types ever tried flying on just the outboard?

One of the things I had to do with III was restrict the bellcrank to 60 degrees to keep it out of the way of the canard pushrod.  I am going to put in a 5" bellcrank to give me back some of the leadout movement I lost plus the extra leverage doesn't hurt.  The 5" will also require some very smooth leadout guides.

Ken

« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 10:08:12 PM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2024, 06:30:58 PM »
The new toys came in today from Okie.  Spin33 Esc's, Badass 2320-820 motors (they are so cute), and a Fiorotti New Timer.  I am still planning to put the ESC's in the fuselage with long motor wires.  They are 16 gauge so it won't be too heavy.  The Spin documentation says to not extend the motor wires which is opposite of what I hear from the forum.  Props will start with 10 x 5 BadAss two blades. 
« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 08:24:22 PM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2024, 07:23:52 PM »
Started work on the nacelles.  Got the props in pair of BadAxx 10 x 5's opposite rotation.  That little motor sure is cute.  I don't see how only two of these little things can power a 65oz plane but those who know far more than I do say the will. y1

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2024, 09:59:56 PM »
Nacelles done.  My style is more like composing than building so making two of anything gets dicey.  At least they came out looking similar!  Anybody seen my other spinner?  20grams each w/o motors at this point.  Once they are fitted to the wing I will glass them.  Construction is 100% Balsa except for the CF reinforced engine mount.  I have decided to put the ESC's in the fuselage.  Motor wires will run through a smoothie straw built into the wing. 

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2024, 12:00:02 PM »
Looks like the bots have lightened up.  Only 70000+ reads.  Here is the proposed power train.  I have never wired a twin so if anything anybody sees that looks strange please post your concerns.  Only one I have is placement of the ESC's.  Some electronic components do not like to be next to each other.  I have no clue if this is true for an ESC.  Probably not.  The rest is just making up the wiring so that you can get it out later if necessary.  I do have a question on the ON/Off switch.  Can one switch serve both ESC's or should I have 2.  I assume one is OK.

One thing that saddens me.  I have always used the 2nd ESC port on the Fiorotti timer as a programming port that I route to a receptacle on the side of the plane.  I don't have to unhook anything, just plug in the Jeti-box to change settings on the timer.   Now I have to plan on an easy to remove hatch for programming. Boo!

Soon as I have the whole thing wired I am going to bench run to see what it does.  Being able to run the motors without a prop - priceless.

Oh, Plan "B" is to put the ESC's on edge to separate them more if necessary.  I want to keep them side by side in the center to keep the wires to each motor the same length.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2024, 12:04:30 AM »
Lots of changes to the electronics wiring thanks to some of our more experienced twin folks.  Got the full shape of the fuselage finally with the control horn access hatch finished and most of the nose hatch.  The 1st 12" of the bottom is a hatch giving me access to all of the goodies.   I think that the nose looks a bit too much like a Sturgeon.  I think I will reshape it more like a F-86.  Covering is going to be Polyspan and laminating film. Can't paint much in the office.  I really would like to do this in Dope, but it isn't going to happen.

Almost time to build the wing.  Soon as the nose is done, the electronics positioned, the stab & rudder mounted.  Wing is always last.

ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2024, 06:57:35 AM »
Composing an airplane can cause you to say things that are not acceptable in polite society.

Today was wiring day and I was able to get everything crammed into the nose, but the only way to fit the timer and still have access was to turn it with the pins pointing straight down.  You can't bury the thing because you have to be able to unhook the timer to program the ESC's.  With the six motor wires going into the wing the ESC has to be turned around and the leads to the battery box and the "Y" splitters have to go in the front where there is no room then there is that darn arming plug.  Has to go in front of the positive splitter which meant another 6" of 14g wire.  So instead of having it tucked neatly near the wing joint it will stick out like a woodpecker under the canopy.  Either that or 14" of wire.  Maybe I will shape the plug to look like an air-air refueling port.   I had to use more bullets than a John Wick movie just so that I could take it apart later.  With the wiring all in place it was time to check the top and bottom "blocks" to see what it looked like enclosed.  Timer on the bottom, arming plug on the top didn't clear, not even close.  So we now have a fake cannon blister to cover the timer leads and the pilot's left console is now 1/4" up.  It was either that or amputate his left arm.  Having the Canard's pushrod run smack down the center of the nose creates some serious design issues!  I guess that is the price you pay for designing your own.

Reshaped the nose more like a F-86D.  Not exact but close.  All of the pieces are "finished" now except the wing.  34.89 oz with everything, motors, battery, esc's, timer.  All that is left is the rudder, wing and wheels.  I guess I can pull that off with about 15oz which puts me at 50oz.  Finish will be a first for me.  SLC over polyspan with a military paint scheme of some sort.  I am optimistic that I can keep it under 60 which will be 10oz lighter that the single motor Endgame III.

If you are a "tinkerer" like I am you always come up with a better way just about the time you finish a component and that is why we never stop building and rebuilding even when we don't need any more planes!

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2024, 04:50:52 PM »

If you are a "tinkerer" like I am you always come up with a better way just about the time you finish a component and that is why we never stop building and rebuilding even when we don't need any more planes!

Ken
Rule 23:  If you are not satisfied with the way things are coming out, don't fix it now.  Wait till tomorrow so that you can worry about it all night.  I had hooked up the battery to the splitters using a T-60.  It really didn't fit and made the battery wires too short.  So, after several hours of rationalizing how it would be OK, I went home.  Today I took the wire cutters to the T-60 before I had a chance to back out.  Replaced with bullets and everything fits.  After all a T-60 is just two bullets in a pretty yellow wrapper.  Raised the console so that the arming plug fits and finished the fake gun port to cover the timer.  All that is left for the wiring is to shorten the timer cables.  One thing I have noticed.  Using Carbon Fiber in places you need to sand sure does make the plane look dirty!

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

• Commander
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2024, 03:25:58 AM »
Everything excellent! Only the leading edge of the canard looks a little too sharp to me.

Regards,
Wolfgang

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2024, 09:10:11 AM »
Everything excellent! Only the leading edge of the canard looks a little too sharp to me.

Regards,
Wolfgang
Interesting that you mentioned that.  Endgame III had a total of 4 Canards before I settled on this one.  1 & 2 had 1/16" radius LE and were 1/2" thick at the high point of a 3" chord and 5" span(each).  They were independently adjustable, theory being that I could use them for trim.  On 3,  I extended the chord to 4" and span by 1" on each side and thinned them to 3/8" fixed.  Having them adjustable didn't help anything.  On 4 I added another 1/2" to the span and sharpened the LE to a 1/32" radius.  This is what I am flying now on III and I copied it for the twin.  The canards in the picture are unfinished.  I have a CF strip imbedded in the LE which will be sanded to the 1/32 radius.  I use .025 wire for the LE of the stab which is quite sharp but not 'razor' like some use.  I studied a lot of the jet canards and most had sharp LE's.  I am in uncharted waters with this one since it will be in front of the props in clean air.  I won't know how it will react till I fly it, butterfly's are being put on standby!

I have had to dial back the corners on Endgame III.  It has a stock geo-bolt wing which is not as strong in the center section as I would like for the turns it is capable of.  I moved the CG forward 1" and changed the ratios on the controls to 20-20-30 from 15-30-40 maximum deflection.  That calmed it down enough that I don't fear folding the wing anymore.  Tight corners are creeping back into the AMA pattern, but they are still not anything like you fly in F2B.  The new ship will have a wing capable of an 8' corner without breaking.  One thing I do not want compromised is the ease that I can do sharp turns with less line tension.  The canard takes so much pressure off of the flaps that I no longer worry about making the turns in the hourglass and overhead 8 with the reduced line tension. Even in a strong wind I get the deflection necessary to prevent sagging with very little line tension.  Being able to fly an hourglass with the last corner as tight as the first is worth the effort all by itself.

Cheers - Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

• Commander
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2024, 09:21:17 AM »
Subsonic and in clean air I would use a NACA 0009  :-)

Regards,
Wolfgang

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2024, 10:26:48 AM »
Subsonic and in clean air I would use a NACA 0009  :-)

Regards,
Wolfgang
That is Pretty close to what I have.  I have rarely, since my FF days used the NACA numbers.  I use the "That Looks Good" table instead.  My LE is a bit sharper but negotiable.  I will round the LE to a 1/16 radius.  I just love sanding CF.  Fingers itch for weeks even if I wear gloves!

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2024, 06:52:40 AM »
Thought it would be worth posting what this beast will look like.  I drew this up do that I could plan panel lines.  I settled on SLC over polyspan for the finish base after a successful test on the canards.  Everything else on this plane is a first for me, why not the finish!

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2024, 07:11:54 PM »
I think I found out why the high count.  I just did a search for Endgame IV on Bing.  My thread was in the top 50 out of 800,000 returns.  Endgame 4 is a popular computer game.  The AI probably sees it as the same thing.  Up to 90,000 now.  I hope they all don't build a stabalator canard!  LL~
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2024, 10:47:46 PM »
Made the wing spars today and cut the right wing ribs. Those Warren Truss ribs sure are long!  It's my first.  Had to make a stripper to cut the spars.  2@ 1/8" x 1/4" strips making a sandwich with a .3mm CF strip of carbon fiber plate in the center (no mayonnaise).  What is so cool about the carbon fiber plate is that you can cut it accurately with scissors. I figured with the motors on the wing and tricycle landing gear, having a beefed-up spar was not going to hurt. 

I will ask it here just for grins since only bots seem to be reading this.  How does one mount wing gear in a Warren Truss wing?

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2024, 04:44:26 PM »
My first Lost Foam Warren Truss wing is out of the jig!  Have to complement Bob Hunt on making wing building easy.  Found a good use for Wynn Paul's books when I am not reading them.  The hard part was locating a place to put wing gear for a tricycle setup in that wing.  Think I found it.  The nacelles are going to attach on one of the two half rib sets so I am going to make a .5mm carbon fiber mount for the gear there.  5" bellcrank and flap mechanism should be here next week.  Once the wing is built I go into "wanna fly it" mode! LL~
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2024, 05:22:33 PM »
Control box mounted and pushrods made up.  So far so good.  Elevator gives me 40 degrees in both directions with equal movement of the logarithmic horn.  Next up will be the inboard wing.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2024, 04:41:14 PM »
Controls tested and set aside till I get the wing installed.  The 5" bellcrank worked perfectly.  I have it set to give me full elevator with 1 3/4" of leadout travel which matches my other planes.  Flaps and Canard max out at 20 degrees, elevator at 35. All are adjustable.  Finished covering the stab and roughed in the recessed flap insert.  Normally it would be a 1/32" molded insert but I found that smoothie straws are the perfect size and lighter that the balsa. 

Ken

AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2024, 06:21:40 AM »
  Normally it would be a 1/32" molded insert but I found that smoothie straws are the perfect size and lighter that the balsa. 

Ken

...and much more colorful!  Nicely done.

Don

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2024, 05:49:52 PM »
One more subassembly nearing ready for the fuselage.  The 5" bellcrank saves a complete full rib of shear web over the 4".  I will be able to run CF out to the Nacelles and not hit the controls.  I am using .3mm Carbon Fiber over the 1/16" balsa for the webbing.  The Geo-XL wing center section was not designed to handle the weight of the motors and wing gear so I am reinforcing it using a lot of thin CF.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: Yesterday at 06:28:56 PM »
 Finally got he wing framed.  Bellcrank and landing gear Monday.  Thought it was time to put it together for a test fit.  Pretty close, needs some work on the nacelles.  Right about now I am cursing Bob for getting me into this but seeing it together has rejuvenated me!
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here