News:

• April 30, 2024, 08:42:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Eliminating Iron-On Vibration/Humming  (Read 589 times)

Offline Peter Hess

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Eliminating Iron-On Vibration/Humming
« on: November 08, 2010, 12:12:39 PM »
I have two Fancherized Twisters well under way and want to cover the wings with UltraKote.  The wings have just a 1/2" x 1/2" leading edge and no sheeting except for the center section and the trailing edge.  My past experience is that on this kind of wing iron-on covering will hum unless something is done to reduce or eliminate it.

How do I get rid of that very annoying hum?  I have received some suggestions about how to do that but I would welcome any suggestions that you folks might care to make.  Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Peter Hess
Canton, CT
AMA 485070

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
Re: Eliminating Iron-On Vibration/Humming
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 01:28:38 PM »
First, cover your Twister wings with silkspan, maybe one thin coat of dope after water shrinking.  Then ultracoat over the silkspan to get a rigid puncture proof wing at a very small weight cost.  Twister wing needs to have a rigid covering.

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 01:39:10 PM »
put half ribs in between the full ribs. The spacing is really too far for any covering and allows the covering to flex or vibrate. The half ribs will eliminate it.
Dennis

Offline Peter Hess

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 02:44:56 PM »
Jim and Dennis:

Thank you both for your suggestions.

Jim: Would light weight silkspan be sufficient for this purpose or would you suggest medium weight?  Your comment about torsional rigidity is well taken.

Dennis: The wings do have half ribs in front of the spars.  I gave some thought to adding diagonal half ribs behind the spars as well to give the wings some additional rigidity.

Thanks, again.
Peter Hess
Canton, CT
AMA 485070

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here