News:

• May 13, 2024, 04:44:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dying canopies ?  (Read 1277 times)

Offline Rob Killick

• 2013 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Dying canopies ?
« on: August 23, 2008, 01:29:43 PM »
Hi ,

I'm having a hard time dying a Brodak canopy , with Rit clothes dye .
I've cleaned the canopy with dish soap and rinsed throughly with fresh water . After a 1/2 hour soak in the black dye ,you can barely notice the tint .
Any ideas ?
I've never had this problem with SIG canopies .

Thanks ,

Rob Killick
Rob Killick , MAAC 33300

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
Re: Dying canopies ?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 01:38:35 PM »
Did you heat the water? Not super-hot, but it should feel quite warm to your hand. Do this before you add the dye. (Ask me how I know . . .)
Also, you can increase the amount of dye above the recommended ratio.

Ralph
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 01:44:08 PM »
Virtually every canopy I've dyed has faded over time and lost most of its' tint. For the Pathfinder LE, I tried something different. I don't remember where I heard about this technique, but it works great.

I start with clear dope, mix in a small amount of the color I want to make the canopy. Thin it so your airbrush likes it, and spray a coat on the inside of the canopy. There should just be a hint of the color in the clear dope. You can vary the tint with additional coats.

It won't fade.

I wanted a dark tint on the Pathfinder, check the picture. You can see the pilot inside,as well as the cockpit detail, but on mine, you have to look close. That's the way I wanted it.
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 03:08:51 PM »
Rob,

Some of (maybe most) the recent canopies seem to be made of a material the strongly resists the Rit dye that once gave great results.  I have heated the dye mix so hot that the canopy curled beyond use without the canopy taking the dye.

The older Sig and Great Planes canopies took the dye very well, the new ones not, well at all.  The canopies in the ARF's don't seem to take the dye well, either.

Using a few drops of color in clear dope seems to work much better than the dye.  As usual, YMMV.

Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Rob Killick

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 05:17:50 PM »
Hi Fellas ,

To answer Ralph's question first ...

When mixing the initial batch of dye , I added two packs of Rit black with 20 ounces of boiling water , then let cool to 115 degrees Fahrenheit .
I then did the "dipping" and let the canopy sit for two hours . When I took the canopy out of the dye bath , I let it wick on some paper towels .
I'll rinse it in an hour , or so ...

For John's comments I think this is the way to go for the new type canopy material (I don't think Brodak' canopies are butyrate) .
I use to use Tamiya "Smoke" acrylic paint for plastic model canopies , then dipped in Future floor polish (doesn't work with glow fuel , at all !) .

Jim ,

I went to the local sewing shop recently and got myself some Dylon fabric dye .
The gals in the shop said the regular dye (for cotten , wool , natural fibers) is superb , so I picked some up . Dylon also makes a dye for synthetic fabrics (of course I never thought about getting any) .
I'm thinking if it works on synthetic fiber , then it might be good for the newer type canopies .

Thanks Men ,

Rob Killick
Rob Killick , MAAC 33300

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 07:13:38 PM »
I have left the "dye proof" canopies in the double strength dye mix for 48 hours with very little color transfer. 
Finally gave up and spray painted the inside of the canopy-------not what I wanted!! HB~> HB~>

Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline builditright

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • So happy to be alive!
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 01:07:35 PM »
Hi ,

I'm having a hard time dying a Brodak canopy , with Rit clothes dye .
I've cleaned the canopy with dish soap and rinsed throughly with fresh water . After a 1/2 hour soak in the black dye ,you can barely notice the tint .
Any ideas ?
I've never had this problem with SIG canopies .

Thanks ,

Rob Killick

See attached
Thank you and God Bless
Walter
aka/ builditright

Mike Griffin

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 09:41:01 PM »
I am with Jim Oliver,

I used a candy apple blue can spray paint that they use for model cars and sprayed the inside of a canopy on a Tutor 2 ARF a couple of years ago.  It looked great until I put the plane in the ground a few months ago.  Never faded and was a nice dark blue color.

Mike

Offline Tom Perry

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 11:05:22 PM »
I can't think of the name of the more modern plastic, but it doesn't take, as mentioned above, near as well as butyrate.  One option you might try is adding several table spoons of salt to your hot dye mixture.

:)
Tight lines,

Tom Perry
 Norfolk, Virginia

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 11:19:00 PM »
Easiest way , Hot water and vinegar with rit dye. one to two caps of the vinegar in the watter. Its acidic and etches the plastic so the dye stays.

Walter Umland's Notes and instructions

Tinting canopies
Things to know before tinting a canopy is that...
1. A canopy will always appear to be darker once mounted on the aircraft.
2. It is best to tint two canopies at the same time for two reasons,
a) So you can test for desired darkness and
b) You will always have an exact duplicate in the unhopeful event of an accident
3. Better to test a lighter tinted canopy o n the model before just making it too dark because you can
never lighten one if you have made it to dark but you can always darken a canopy if you made it
too light.
What you w ill need
1. Large pot, preferably a pot that will be large enough to allow the untrimmed canopy to move
around in it.
2. Candy thermometer
3. Rite Dye (powder type & color of choice)
4. White/clear Vinegar
Steps to tinting a canopy
1. Fill up a large pot o f water and b ring water to a temperature of 125° F.H. and stabilize water temp.
@ 125° for approximately 30  minutes
2. ONCE water is stabilized @ 125° add in dye (1 whole box) and stir thoroughly
3. Add 1 - 2 cap fills Vinegar (just like doing Easter eggs)
4. Add in a p inch o f salt (don't ask.... it just works better with it)
5. Mix well....
6. One thing to note is "DO NOT" trim any excess material o ff the canopy before tinting because
providing you do not over heat the water this will help your canopy hold it's shape ** ADD
canopy
Next is probably the most important part.
Every 15 minutes move the canopy around in the water with a none abrasive object (wooden or plastic
spoon works great)
Cook canopy for approximately 1 hour constantly checking the Temp. Does NOT exceed 125° F.H.
After an hour you may remove canopy and check the darkness o f the tint. If you are satisfied remove and
rinse with warm water and let dry on an old rag, if you wish to have a darker canopy then "DO NOT" rinse
just continue the cooking process watching every 15 minutes until desired darkness is achieved.
Once satisfied remove and rinse with warm water and let dry on an old rag.
AMA 12366

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 08:45:29 AM »
Rob,

The problem you're running into is the type of plastic now used. In the old days, canopies were made from various types of acetate and took dye well. Newer canopies are made from PET or PET-G polymer and are very resistant to dyes (they also hold up better under UV and heat). Walter's method noted above will usually work. The vinegar opens the pores in the plastic and the salt increases penetration. I've used this method for years and while I haven't been able to get a really dark canopy with newer materials, it's been quite acceptable.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar