News:

• May 13, 2024, 10:10:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dupli color paint  (Read 1118 times)

Offline John KruziK

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Dupli color paint
« on: November 22, 2007, 11:04:33 AM »
I'm putting together a trainer and was thinking of spraying it with dupli-color auto touch up paint. I've seen planes painted with Rustoleum and such, thought auto paint would have better durability. Both are more readily available then traditional finishes in my area. Thanks John
AMA 874027

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: Dupli color paint
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 11:09:33 AM »
It works great, just remember it's NOT fuel proof. You will need to clear with Poly U or Lustre kote clear or whatever you like, I don't think dope is compatable ??
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 07:42:15 PM »
It works great, just remember it's NOT fuel proof. You will need to clear with Poly U or Lustre kote clear or whatever you like, I don't think dope is compatable ??

Sig Supercoat and Sig Lite Coat are compatible with the Duplicolor lacquers.  That leads me to believe that Brodak's will also be fine with it.  We have many planes that have been painted with Dulicolor (and other automotive lacquers) over the recent past.  In fact, the last "color dope" plane I had was a Brodak Zero Prototype built before the Warbird kit was released, several years ago.

You will need a fuel proof top coat, though.  I have never been brave enough to NOT clear coat with something fuel proof.  Duplicolor has recently released a line of lacquers in their "Paint Shop" line which are packaged in quarts.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 08:30:58 PM »
Since it is not fuel proof and you would need to put a clear coat of some kind on top, the durability is not really an issue as the top coat would bear the durablity. I would be more concerned with weight instead.

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 09:16:09 PM »
I painted the first 2 pictures with Duplicolor spray cans. When done I sprayed a dry coat of Sig clear over it and then waited 15 to 20 min. Then I sprayed a wet coat of Sig clear over that. Came back in 15 min. to see how it all looked. The clear melted the base coats and the colors all ran together and sagged, it was a total mess. After it dried I tried to sand it off and start over. Every time I touched that plane it got worse. After six months of trying to repair not to mention that it was getting heavier, I finally gave up and threw it in the trash. I spent so much time trying to repair the mess I created that it was just easier to build something else. Even trying to repaint Duplicolor over Dupicolor it wrinkled and looked like $@#%&$*@....Yes it is possible that I don't know what I'm doing. Also I thought maybe living in California that the paint was mixed to please the environment so maybe it was mixed differently. I don't know. I'm just not willing take the gamble again as I never had this problem when I used Sig all the way. I have been so discussed-ed that I just quit building and flying for awhile. I know Sparky and Bill Little have had success but it didn't work for me. In retrospect if I would of cleared with a 2 part clear I would be flying it today. Oh well, time to move on. Red/White/Black plane was Duplicolor before clear.....Red/White/Blue was Sig paint with Sig clear.  :'(   HB~>
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 01:11:25 PM by Greg L Bahrman »
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 12:23:52 AM »
Greg,

Consistency is one of the reasons I tend to preach about using the same line of paints from wood to clearcoat. Many guys can get away with using inexpensive thinners or mixing one type of paint with another or whatever. I've even gotten away with it myself, occasionally. But it's a hit and miss situation. If I use Certified butyrate (for instance) from wood to topcoat, I know pretty much what's going to happen every time. You start mixing brands and types, you just never know.

I know guys here have done this successfully. Sometime a lot of times. But sooner or later it will bite you in the backside. It's just safer to go with stuff in the same line. It takes the guess work out of it. You already know it's going to work.

It's also why when people ask me if such and such thinner or paint or whatever will work over or under so and so paint, my response is pretty much always the same; do a test panel and see. It might have worked for me here under the right conditions, but who know what it will do for you.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline joe renfro

• Ensign
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 10:17:54 PM »
I'm sure most all already know this,,,but I didnt and I've been around alot of different paints and coatings
thru different applications...I finished a Buster..covered it with polyester..it works great...clear doped it with Randolph's clear from Aircraft Spruce...they make the Brodal stuff....then sprayed it with red spraycan laquer by Rust-Oleum,,,don't know why I didn't put the clear back over it ..I think I couldn't get a clear answer as to whether Randolf's was fuelproof...soooooooooooooo....I sprayed it with Minwax Gloss Polyurethane Quick Dry...it looked great...!! Then taped off some stripes and a wingtip ..for black accent..when I pulled the tape off...off came the PolyU.....$%%^#$$%!   Called 800 number on Minwax can....they said it won't stick to laquer!!!!!!!!  Of course no where on the can did it say that....

So now you know....  I guess its ok over other stuff...just not laquer....

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here