News:

• May 09, 2024, 06:15:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dremel drill press.  (Read 3040 times)

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
Dremel drill press.
« on: November 18, 2007, 01:36:51 AM »
Does anyone here use a Dremel drill press adapter?

All these years, I've been drilling mounting holes with a hand drill, and later on various electric drills. Now I have a powerful cordless Makita drill, with an asymmetrical battery pack. For some reason, I find it very difficult to eyeball properly aligned holes with this awkward tool. For that reason, I've finally decided to bite the bullet, and get something else.

Since I have very limited building space in our condo, I'm considering the Dremel drill press adapter, instead of a bench mounted drill press. I have a practically new variable speed Dremel tool, with most of the accessories bits. It's a wonderful tool, and I've even used the router attachment to cut hinge mortises in doors.

Also, Dremel now has a Work Station model available at additional cost, but the old model drill press adapter would probably do me just as well.

Comments appreciated!

Bill
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
Re: Dremel drill press.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 03:35:11 AM »
Bill,
You'd be far better off to buy a benchtop drill press for $50 (sometimes $40) at Harbour Freight. The problem with the Dremel is that it really doesn't develop any power at wood-drilling speeds, and drill bits are designed to work at 3000 rpm. the benchtop drill press develops far greater power at those speeds.

The small drill press need not be even semi-permanently mounted; justuse a couple of large C-clamps ti hold it steady in the bench/table top. Buy qualith drill bits! They'lll last longer and cut cleaner, straighter holes.

Save the Dremel for routing and shaping work. It's a nice tool, just not suited for drilling small holes in hardwuuds.

(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 06:37:42 AM »
I hate to disagree with anything Ralph says since he is virtually always spot-on.  However, I do have a Dremel drill press adapter, use it frequently and am very happy with it.  No wobble, adjustable depth gauge, etc.  Not for heavy work obviously but sufficient for model work, at my level at least.

--Ray
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 01:52:13 PM »
The thing I find about the dremel is the bit sizes are not as available as other bench drills an the 1/8" bit overheats when you drill maple.

Mike Griffin

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 02:29:39 PM »
I bought the dremel drill press adapter a while ago and I think it is great.  It is perfect to drill holes for motor mount bolts it maple motor mount blocks and other light work such as that.  It is not meant to do what a large drill press can do but for my use in building models I have found it to be quite adequate.

Mike

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 06:10:36 PM »
I have a Jet bench top drill press. I think I paid $50 for it in a going out of business sale. For precision drilling, I use my mill, but for general, all purpose stuff, the bench top drill press is  the only way to go. You can get away with a Dremel type adapter, but it's far from optimum.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 10:47:23 PM »
One thing I like about this forum, is all the excellent information folks are so willing to share! Thanks to all you who offered advice. It was very much appreciated. H^^

The deciding factor for me was size, and intended utilization.

I'm by no means a prolific builder, nor will I ever be. In fact, I find myself favoring ARF/ARC airplanes for my return to C/L flying, after a forty year absence. No guarantee that I'll even be successful, as I've yet to get the first ARF finished, and off the ground.  :(

Anyway, our local hobby shop offers ten percent off of everything on weekends, and just happened to have a couple of Dremel Work Stations in stock. Looked at the price, looked at the tool, and I couldn't resist. Walked out the door with a total expenditure of $43.19, which is less than the Tower list list price, and way less when shipping was included.

My first impression, is that this is a very nice tool for the money. It's light duty to be sure, but that's what I wanted in the first place, and it's leagues above my old Dremel table saw in quality!

I'll be sure to let you know if it doesn't perform as expected, but so far I'm well pleased with my new toy.  #^

Thanks again for all the help, folks!

Bill

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 02:19:41 AM »
There is also available for the Dremel, a standard-type small chuck that will take smaller drill sizes down to .03 music wire. I think the maximum is 1/8". Very handy, especially in the 1/2A (and under) world.

--Ray
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 02:23:13 PM »
Bill,

Hope it works out for you.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 03:24:18 PM »
Ray,

Thanks for the tip. Been looking at that chuck, and may spring for one in the future.

Randy,

Thanks.

I can always use the ungainly Makita cordless. It has a two speed transmission, variable speed motor, and a reverse gear. No brakes though, and the only air bag is the operator.  ;D

One advantage (but unfortunately a bigger disadvantage) of ARF/ARC building is the soft motor mounts. Don't need much more than a sharp stick to poke mounting holes in them. The Dremel should be able to handle that.

Bill

Offline Lane Puckett

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007, 07:58:56 AM »
Bill,
shoot me an email.  lkp1@yahoo.com
I've had one in my junk bin intending to toss it out for years, yes years but thought it might be useful to someone.

I guess if it is worth anything money wise to you just donate to the forum, I'll cover shipping.  Just happy someone could actually find some use for it.

this thing is better than 30 years old. 

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2007, 09:32:46 AM »
  Darn  Lane!!!  You beat me to it--- I got one also -- still new in the package.  It is down in the junk barrel  somewhere.

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Online Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2007, 01:56:21 PM »
No matter what tool you use if the drill bits are dull the holes won't be accurate.
Perry Rose
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2007, 02:56:12 PM »
Lane, and Marvin,

I sure appreciate the generous offers, but I already have a new Dremel work station (press) that I bought it a couple weeks ago at my LHS. Paid a little over $42 out the door, and I'm very empressed with the quality, and plan to use it soon.  H^^

The new press is a bit different than I remember the original Dremel drill press attachment, but then my recall isn't what it used to be. I remember looking at the original some years ago, and deciding it wasn't what I wanted.

Here is a link to the work station, if you want to see the new features.

Thanks again guys. Hopefully, others will take you up on the offers.

Bill

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
What passes for a drill press..
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2007, 03:23:15 PM »
The price of a real drill press won't kill me, but the volume it occupies in my basement will.

Years ago, I bought this California-made gadjet.  It's a fixture that goes onto a drill for drilling holes in the middle of tubing or pipe.  I built a box and mounted it upside down to use as a "drill press".  It's all I need to drill holes squarely. 

As a "furthermore", it's great at self-locating the centre of stick or tube.

I think the Dremel tends to be too high-revving and not enough "chuck compliance" to be of much use as a drill.

Paul Smith

Offline Lane Puckett

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2007, 09:01:50 PM »
"Hopefully, others will take you up on the offers."

I sure hope so.....I don't want to hang onto this thing for another 30 years.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here