News:

• April 27, 2024, 06:34:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Double taper wing  (Read 1367 times)

Offline Albert Kraus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Double taper wing
« on: October 14, 2006, 12:55:10 PM »
I need help, been building many years wings on a jig but this one has me stumped
center section built no problems. Wing tips are 18 in long double taper thickness
from 2 in to 1 in.  What is the best way to build this section of the wing without building
a warp into it. Cant use jig that is the problem.

thanks Albert Kraus
                MAAC 4381-L
Albert Kraus
MAAC 4381-L            fishnfly

Offline Albert Kraus

• Ensign
Re: Double taper wing
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 05:46:01 PM »
Maybe should have been a little more clear. I have an adjusto jig tip rib is too small for the rods, the leading edge tapers back the trailing edge sweeps forward. The plane is Don Hutchsons Dauntless SBD 5  also the tip has dihedral .Just have to build it with no warps. hopefully
Albert Kraus
MAAC 4381-L            fishnfly

Offline Ron King

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 03:09:33 PM »
For something that short and small, I would simply shim up the spars. As Ty mentioned, the LE and TE will remain on the same plane.

Draw a center line on the root rib and the tip rib. Then shim the spar so the tip rib is level with the root and that will work. I also cut a piece of balsa to sit under the TE of the ribs. They are very weak (usually) until you get the TE and some sheeting installed. The TE shim will be a constant height.

Hope this helps,

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
Wannabe Stunt Pilot since 1963
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Offline Derek Moran

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 08:27:32 PM »
This is how I solved the problem of double taper wings.  You may not have the same freedom since I designed the structure and the fixture together.  Nevertheless, there may be an idea or two you can glean from these pictures.
Derek
AMA 82617

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here