News:

• May 05, 2024, 02:03:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dope under Fibafilm/Micafilm  (Read 1222 times)

Bombat

• Trade Count: (0)
Dope under Fibafilm/Micafilm
« on: April 05, 2007, 03:15:24 AM »
I am going to cover the flying surfaces of a Vector with Fibafilm (a near equivalent to Micafilm?).

The normal method is just to sand the surface smooth, apply balsaloc (the heat activated adhesive: emulsion based ) and then apply the Fibafilm and heat shrink etc.

I would like to dope the structure with a couple of coats of nitrate dope prior to sanding to toughen the balsa and achieve a better, smoother surface. I then intend using Sig Stix it (compatible with nitrate?)  to attach the Fibafilm.

Anydody tried this or any views on potential issues ? 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 05:21:30 PM by Bill Little »

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Dope under Fibafilm
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 05:19:56 PM »
I am going to cover the flying surfaces of a Vector with Fibafilm (a near equivalent to Micafilm?).

The normal method is just to sand the surface smooth, apply balsaloc (the heat activated adhesive: emulsion based ) and then apply the Fibafilm and heat shrink etc.

I would like to dope the structure with a couple of coats of nitrate dope prior to sanding to toughen the balsa and achieve a better, smoother surface. I then intend using Sig Stix it (compatible with nitrate?)  to attach the Fibafilm.

Anydody tried this or any views on potential issues ? 

I hope you get an answer on this.  It is something I haven't tried!

(I'm going to add "micafilm" to your title, I haven't heard of Fibafilm, and I guess others haven't, either.  I hope you don't take offense!)
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
Re: Dope under Fibafilm/Micafilm
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 05:49:58 AM »
FWIW, Chris, I just started using Nitrate (and love it). Before, I always used Butyrate to firm up the underlying structure for sanding before applying the MicaFilm adhesive. I rather suspect that Nitrate will provide improved adhesion as compared to Butyrate.

If you've used SIG Stix-It and like it, more power to you. I greatly prefer BalsaLoc. Seems I can never get rid of the Stix-It in time to re-use the brush . . .
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Online Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 09:45:47 AM »
How much heat is needed when applying the film over balsa loc? Would this be a safe system to use over non sheeted foam.
Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 06:48:22 PM »
You'd have to try it. But DO use a low-temp film. I honestly don't know at what temperature BalsaLoc is activated, although I suspect it is probably low eningh not to damage the foam. Try it on scrap first.

My very best suggestion on this is to call BP Hobbies and ask. 732-287-3933   - - 9 AM - 5 PM, M-F

Ralph Wenzel

Online Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 08:53:30 PM »
Is that an east coast or left coast phone #? I am on the left coast.
Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 10:04:07 PM »
East Coast

Ralph Wenzel

Bombat

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 11:21:23 AM »
FWIW, Chris, I just started using Nitrate (and love it). Before, I always used Butyrate to firm up the underlying structure for sanding before applying the MicaFilm adhesive. I rather suspect that Nitrate will provide improved adhesion as compared to Butyrate.

If you've used SIG Stix-It and like it, more power to you. I greatly prefer BalsaLoc. Seems I can never get rid of the Stix-It in time to re-use the brush . . .

Ralph have you had success with the nitrate balsaloc combination ? I have balsaloc but never used it?

Cheers

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here