News:

• May 10, 2024, 04:16:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Does this line wrap look right?  (Read 1530 times)

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Does this line wrap look right?
« on: July 31, 2007, 05:29:22 PM »
Would you trust your plane to it.
Frank Carlisle

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Does this line wrap look right?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 05:53:56 PM »
It ain't real classy, but it doesn't look like it's going to go anywhere.  Pull test it about 60-80 lb. and see what happens.  That's 60 lb. on each wire.  That's enough to break 021 lines, so if it holds you'll be OK.

If you're being fussy, re-wrap it per the rule book.  Wrap down from the loop, fold the line over, and wrap back up to the loop and tie it off.
phil Cartier

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 06:49:09 PM »
I never was good at wrapping these things. To make matters worse I'm stripping the wire out of speaker wire.
Main thing is that it doesn't let me down. I'll get better at wrapping with more practice/

Thanks for the vote of confidence on the set up Phil. I'll pull test it and see what happens.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 08:57:37 PM »
Hi Frank,

I cannot tell from the picture but did you wrap down, fold over and wrap back up?  If so, it's as good as can be done, even if it doesn't win a beauty award! ;D

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 09:26:58 PM »
I picked up a swaging tool at the local hardware/home improvement place in the garage door section.  It was right next to the soft aluminum ferrules.  The tool looks like a bolt cutter but without the sharp teeth.  A handle takes a $.50 package of ferrules and a foot of 1/16" cable and maybe 30 seconds start to finish.  Not that there's anything wrong with wrapping the cable, but all the mass produced handles are crimped/swaged, so why not?

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 03:26:46 AM »
I wrapped down, folded over and then wrapped up.
I think crimping would be much neater and plan to check Home Depot for the proper tool.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Greg Hart

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 10:54:10 PM »
I'd spread a small amout of thick ca or epoxy over your wrap
BUY A UKEY AND LEARN

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 11:09:25 PM »
I'd spread a small amout of thick ca or epoxy over your wrap

No Ca on your wrap.  Creates a hard spot and can later cause a stress riser if you come under heavy tension, maybe during a run away or high winds.  realistically probably not a problem on handle cable.  BUT this should NEVER be done on a set of lines.  The lines are flexible and should stay that way along with the wrap. What you can do is take ONE drop of 5 minute epoxy and place it right on the end where the line is tied off.  Just one drop to hold the tie down so it doesnt hang on anything.  Also you can wrap further down the second loop.  You wrapped the folded over then wrapped up again.  You could have taken your first wrap all the way to where the loop back begins.  Then the wrap on the second pass closer to the first loop as well.  It would give you more surface area of the cable that the warp will grab.  Practice on some test cable about 5 or 6 times in a row and you will quickly get the hang of how far you can really go.  If you only do it every time you finish a plane the time between is too long to get a good feel and can take very long to learn it. 
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2007, 06:50:43 AM »
That wrap looks a lot better than some of the crimps on handle cables I have flown with and still do use.  Also there is a big difference between crimping and swedging cable.   Since getting and using Carl Shoupe's swedging set I have not wrapped any cable lines.  Will never use it on solid wire, wrap only on solid wire.  Have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 07:17:18 AM »
I've been using the handle and wraps on a profile Mustang with a .40 on it.....no problem.

I've since made another handle and I got the wrap to look a little better on it.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 07:30:55 AM »
Frank;

The wraps look fine, if at any time you do not like the looks of a wrap, put heat shrink tubing over it, it will look great. Your new handles will arrive this week.  LOL

Doc;

The "swedging set" by "Carl Shoupe", is it readily available? If so how can it be obtained.

"Billy G"   ;D
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 03:41:14 PM »
I'm looking forward to trying those handles Bill. I'll be mailing out your video and check tomorrow.

BTW-----my new handles work just fine.
Frank Carlisle

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here