Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Decals?  (Read 831 times)

Offline Joe Messinger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Decals?
« on: September 03, 2006, 08:39:18 AM »
Hello,

I have several planes that I have built and used heat shrink covering on them.  They are nothing "special" but I would like to add something to them with decals. 

Problem is, I can't seem to find a source for custom decals.  I have found standard (Rjngmaster,etc.) decals which are available but nothing custom offered.  I see planes with great looking lettering across the wing areas with whatever the name might be and wonder how that is done.  My planes are not "show" planes, I just would like to add a little something extra.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe
Joe Messinger

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: Decals?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 10:59:06 AM »
I have gone to a local graphics shop and had them do like you said the name of the plane and my AMA numbers. I just chose the font I liked and brought in a scrap of monokote of the color I wanted. They made vinal copy's of what I wanted, they just stick right to the covering and for 2 each of the name and AMA number in different colors was less than 15.00.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 11:05:12 AM »
They did the name and number on this one.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 03:24:05 PM »
Joe,

If you have a color inkjet printer and some ideas, there are sources for the water-slide decal backing film. When you get the inspiration pretty well organized, doodle it out and print it on that film.

The decal film needs to be sealed after you print on it so water doesn't dissolve your image.

If you can get some images scanned into a file your word processor can load, you can use those. MS Word is pretty much universal, now, and it has a thing called WordArt that lets you do all kind of neat things with text. Most likely you already have it. Other graphic programs are around, too.

There is a bit more to it than that, but not really much that's a problem. And, you wind up with something you came up with - you're not stuck with what happens to be available where you find it.

Done right, these waterslide decals can be thinner than any sign-shop cut vinyl stick on - almost invisible edges - and more intricate than you'd ever agree to pay someone to cut for you.

Plenty of guys in here have messed with home-made water slide decals - you may hear from them...

\BEST\LOU

Offline GEOFFREY

• Commander
  • Northwest Fireballs
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 04:55:35 PM »
I USE A PRINT SHOP PROGAM ON MY COMPUTER, PRINT IT IN COLOR ON PLAIN PAPER.THEN I TAKE IT TO KINKOES WITH MY PLAIN DECAL PAPER FROM MICRO MARK. THEY PRINT WITH A LAZER COPY MACHINE ON DECAL PAPER . I TAKE IT HOME AN SPRAY WITH CLEAR GLOSS  . TWO COATS  AND THEY ARE AS GOOD AS A STORE BOUGHT   GOOD LUCK  JEFF HAVE FUN
GEOFFREY L CHRISTIANSON  AMA 824607             DELTA PARK Portland Or.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here