News:

• April 28, 2024, 12:21:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dave Brown covering  (Read 1470 times)

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
Dave Brown covering
« on: December 18, 2006, 03:53:40 PM »
Hi Y'all,
Dave Brown advertises a nylon based covering that is claimed to fill with two to three coats of dope.  Has anyone out there in stunt land ever used it and what didyathink?
Will
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Dave Brown covering
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 07:40:23 PM »
If the product is Dave's Skyloft, it is very strong but very "un-light".  I used it on a 60 size RC model years ago and  I remember it well. ::)

Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 09:21:53 AM »
Thanks Jim,
The "unlight" part was part of my concern, so I guess I'll stick to my silkspan after all.  Everyone have a blessed Christmas out there!
Will :##
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 09:29:12 AM »
Is this stuff similar to the SIG Mfg. Coverall fabric covering?  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 10:10:54 AM »
There is a new lightweight Polyspan on the market. I have not used it yet, but Larry Kruse (Flying Models' FF columnist) has waxed enthusiastic about it in his column.

Go here to see the specs:
http://www.freeflightsupplies.co.uk/lightweight.htm

Later - Bob Hunt

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 11:31:10 PM »
Is this stuff similar to the SIG Mfg. Coverall fabric covering?  DOC Holliday

Not at all. "Skyloft" is a nylon version of silkspan (i.e., mat), while Koverall is woven polyester fabric. Have Mrs. Doc explain the difference. The great F1C innovator (flappers and folders), Bill Gieskieng, used Skyloft over balsa sheet areas, applied with "Deft", a woodworker's varnish of some sort (I'll have to check Home Depot, someday). I'd bet he'd use CF mat, these days. I'm wondering if he'd use Deft, or something else, tho.  :! Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 12:25:04 AM »
FWIW Deft is actually a cabinet laquer. Most that is available is a brushing laquer but it contains some catalyzing agent that actually causes some mild polymerization of the coating which makes it more durable.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2006, 10:56:31 PM »
Thanks for that info, Mark. It sounds like it might be useful stuff for applying FG or CF mat, then. Tho the water-based Minwax PolyAcrylic still seems like maybe a better choice, at least for some of us.  n~ Steve 
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2006, 08:56:52 AM »

Steve,
as you know, bieng a pro painter, I have to caution all about the mixing of products and chemicals. Not just to beware of the toxicity, though that is definetly a concern. Please oh Please experiment before you put anything on your labor of love. the use of any product over a different product is most always a recipe for disaster. Yes I know people do it and get away with it. I have had enough issues over the years staying within the same product family, the thought of one persons product over anothers makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck. That being said, give it a shot, all you got to loose is time and money. just remember for every time it works, its one shot closer to the time it will screw up . lol,,

besides if it doesnt work, you can use the left overs to refinish the furniture!
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2006, 08:08:35 PM »
Mark...absolutely, tests would be done. That's half the fun. HB~>  LL~ ROFLMAO, Steve

Offline Paul Allen

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2006, 12:31:39 AM »
Tried Dave Brown Skyloft a few years ago,went
on well but had a number of pin holes in after doping,
had to cover over it with lightweight silkspan.
Have been using Thermal Span from a company
in the U.S.A  trading as Harris Design,they had ads
in Stunt News a few years ago,similar to Polyspan
but stronger, needs adhesive applied to the frame
then ironed on similar to plastic film.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here