News:

• May 10, 2024, 02:46:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cutting Ribs  (Read 1566 times)

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Cutting Ribs
« on: February 08, 2006, 01:59:08 AM »
I have just cut my first set of ribs. On my template 1/8th ply I put jig holes for my Adjusto-jig. The jig holes are in the area on the ribs that would need to be removed for litening and lead out lines. What is the best way to score the ribs in this area for removal after the wing is built. Is there a knife with the blade at a 90 to get between the ribs to cut them out?
Leester
ama 830538

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
Re: Cutting Ribs
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 07:16:06 AM »
I use a piece of tubing that is scored inside to make the radius of the holes front and rear of rib. Then cut in between the holes with a knife. So what I would do before putting the ribs on the jig is make those holes. After assembly of the wing just take the wing off the jig and the reach between the ribs and cut away balsa with a knife.

I hope this helps. I don't use a adjusto jig. Maybe someone else has a better idea/
AMA 12366

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 11:12:00 AM »
I happened to see one of the ribs for my Jamison and I think this will do it. After the wing is assembled I can join the middle cut out with the rear if I need the room for lead outs or just leave it as is. Thank God for scroll saws.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Leester
ama 830538

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 07:07:12 PM »
What I would do is at the front of the rib cut a hole and at the TE of the rib do the same. Now in between the spar mark two more holes leaving 1/2 in between those holes. Assemble the wing on your jig. After removing the wing cut away in between holes. Hope you can get my drift?

« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 07:09:53 PM by RC Storick »
AMA 12366

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 09:19:02 PM »
I have used a new #11 blade CA'd into a slot cut 90* in a piece of 1/4" sq.  spruce spar stock.  Lets you get between tight fitted ribs to cut.  No real cost to make.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Dick Fowler

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 07:05:08 PM »
What I would do is at the front of the rib cut a hole and at the TE of the rib do the same. Now in between the spar mark two more holes leaving 1/2 in between those holes. Assemble the wing on your jig. After removing the wing cut away in between holes. Hope you can get my drift?

Like this. The really small holes are for the jig rods. The larger holes are made before stacking the ribs on the jig. When done just cut the sections out between the bigger holes
Dick Fowler AMA 144077
Kent, OH
Akron Circle Burners Inc. (Note!)
North Coast Control Liners Size 12 shoe  XXL Supporter

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here