News:

• April 27, 2024, 09:33:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cowl inlet/outlet design  (Read 2367 times)

Kirm Dog

• Trade Count: (0)
Cowl inlet/outlet design
« on: March 01, 2006, 07:02:42 AM »
Our host Mr. Storick has said in the past along with other people that "Rule of thumb; have the exit hole twice as large as the inlet". This works well on some planes but how about planes like the Bearcat, Zero, P-47 and Corsair not to mention a lot of other large cowled planes? Considering that a person could put their fist into one of these cowls, making a exit hole twice as large would make the plane look hiddious. Is there a formula that can be used to get the exit hole the right size or is it a matter of getting the air to flow around the engine and directing it with duct work regaurdless of inlet/outlet size? I know "Rule of thumb" means that there are other options and was wondering how other people handle this situation?

Don Kirmess

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
Re: Cowl inlet/outlet design
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 07:07:51 AM »
On my Thunderbolts the cowl looks to have a large opening but it is only half open. So the exit hole which is not very big is still twice a big as the entrance hole. Its an illusion.
AMA 12366

Kirm Dog

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 09:25:12 AM »
Robert;
  Would you by chance have a picture of the outlet on your T-Bolt? A picture would be very helpful and better than any written answer.

Thank you
Don Kirmess

Offline dynasoar1948

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 10:51:58 PM »
Don,

Cooling air inlets and outlets have been a topic of discussion in CL Speed forever.  Here are some guidelines:

It is critical that air flow through your cowl be generally in the direction of flight (inlet ahead of outlet) and that flow passes over the cylinder and head. Any flow thru the cowl which does not pass over the engine is wasted in drag production. With a rear exhaust engine, flow should also be directed to the exhaust port area.

Its true that air heated by cooling the engine expands, and for this reason the outlet should be somewhat larger than the inlet (maybe 25% or so-) a more important consideration is whete the outlet is located.

The outlet should be aimed downstream, and not in front of any projection which would increase local pressure.

Will Stewart

William Stewart

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2006, 06:18:43 AM »
Don,

Cooling air inlets and outlets have been a topic of discussion in CL Speed forever.  Here are some guidelines:

It is critical that air flow through your cowl be generally in the direction of flight (inlet ahead of outlet) and that flow passes over the cylinder and head. Any flow thru the cowl which does not pass over the engine is wasted in drag production. With a rear exhaust engine, flow should also be directed to the exhaust port area.

Its true that air heated by cooling the engine expands, and for this reason the outlet should be somewhat larger than the inlet (maybe 25% or so-) a more important consideration is whete the outlet is located.

The outlet should be aimed downstream, and not in front of any projection which would increase local pressure.

Will Stewart 

Hi Will, thanks for the post.

You can answer a question that has had me curious for a long time!

I have always noticed that speed planes seem to have much small intakes and outlets for cooling air than Stunt planes, but the "cowling" on a speed ship is well formed to the head and craved inside to direct the cooling air.

Stun planes seem to have much larger openings, but no "ductwork" (with the exception of a few model builders like Al Rabe),   

Is it because of relative flight times, hotter running engines, or just "poor thought" on the part of stunt designers as to the proper cooling aspects?

Thanks!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline dynasoar1948

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2006, 12:43:29 PM »
Don,

Keep in mind that over the long history of CL Speed,  racing engine design and construction has changed substantially, as have fuels and restrictions on fuel formulation.

Early engines (Hornet,  McCoy and Dooling) used a steel liner and cast iron ringed aluminum pistons. The ring friction required both lots of lubrication and good heat rejection to cooling air from the cylinder barrel as well as the head.  The exhaust was open and lots of heat was dumped this way.  Since the piston expanded more than the liner, cylinder cooling was needed to prevent piston sticking.

The later lapped iron-steel pistons in finned steel cylinders also needed cylinder cooling but were less critical when properly broken in (or lapped).

ABC design and construction changed the relationships and the brass liner and aluminum piston expanded together, making cylinder cooling less necessary.  Head cooling was necessary to protect the plug and was generally enough for the entire engine.

Use of tuned pipes, with exhaust reentry under some conditions, resulted in heat buildup at the rear exhaust port. Under worst-case conditions the crankcase would expand enough in the rear to bend the cylinder forward increasing friction.  Note that serious F2A ships have exposed heads, and air intakes directing air to the exhaust port area.

Will Stewart

William Stewart

Kirm Dog

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006, 03:04:41 PM »
Thanks Will.

I guess I made this more complex than need be. I have made oil and exhaust outlets on both sides of the P-47 to make it more realistice than just a hole in the bottom of the fusalage. I will moniter what happens while the engine is running and see if there is a need for more or bigger outlets. Nice thing about stunt is you usually get a brake between flights so even if the engine gets on the warm side it should be OK as long as it doesn't intefear with the performance while in flight.

Good point about ABC engines. It's only been since last year about this time that I got back into model aviation again. Last control line plane I built was back when Monocoat first came out, so it's been a while.

Don Kirmess

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here