News:

• April 26, 2024, 12:11:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Covering plans  (Read 1055 times)

Offline Steve Tomlinson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Covering plans
« on: November 23, 2019, 04:04:31 PM »
Like most, I cover my plans prior to building so I can pin directly over for rib placement etc. 
CA seems to always find its way to wax paper and get glued to the wing!   
Is there a better way? 
Don't want to buy a jig....
STEVE Tomlinson

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Covering plans
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 04:42:12 PM »
  Depending on the size of the joint, you might be surprised at how well rubbing a bar of soap on the plans at the glue joints works. I do that a lot with rubber powered model construction. Wax paper will protect the entire plan, but maybe try rubbing some soap at the glue joints for a little extra help.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 09:25:06 PM »
For stunt, don't use CA on joints that are exposed to the outside of the plane.  It makes a rock hard joint that's impossible to sand smooth.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 04:11:27 AM »
You're not building on glass? Oh dear!

These days I don't really build off plans (having experienced interesting variations in dimensions as a draftsman, caused by out of whack printers) I just Blu Tack the plan to my workshop wall, and take reference dimensions ofd that, and work out what needs to go where, either on the glass, or on the sheets of wood themselves. masking tape on the glass makes for easily removeable stips to draw on, and when you're done just scrape the glass, (including all the gobs of CA, epoxy and other snot) and clean down with actone or a similar solvent, and it's ready to go for the next round.

If you have an automotive or marine glass shop nearby, ask if they have any incorrectly shaped TSG (toughened safety glass). Once it's tempered it can't be reshaped and is a throw away item. I got a pane out of a bus that was for free and it's 4'x3'. more than big enough for most work.
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2019, 04:04:47 PM »
I agree with Walter.  The Wax paper today seems to not be the wax paper we used to get.  I use Parchment paper as well and have ditched the CA and use Elmers white glue for pretty much everything.  There are rare instances where I might us CA but not many.  I do not like how my eyes and nose react to it.

Mike

Offline Steve Tomlinson

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 11:01:40 AM »
Thanks Guys   appreciate info and glass comment...Agree esp with the comment about ca near exposed areas...impossible to sand....   still love Titebond BTW .....and grew up on Ambroid! :)
STEVE Tomlinson

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 12:06:43 PM »
Thanks Guys   appreciate info and glass comment...Agree esp with the comment about ca near exposed areas...impossible to sand....   still love Titebond BTW .....and grew up on Ambroid! :)
I am impatient when it comes to building.  Love building but hate waiting for anything to dry.  CA is the glue from heaven for me.  Wear a mask and use very thin glue tips and you can keep it off of the exposed areas fairly easily.  A fresh piece of cutting grade 400 on a block with light pressure sands it without creating a ridge pretty easily.  Another plus for me is de-bonder.  What do you do when you mis-glue with Elmers after the swearing subsides? ~^

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2019, 10:37:33 AM »
I'm always amazed at the problems people create. I use CA on external joint and have no issue sanding them. I use a jig so I don't have the plan issue.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2019, 11:35:40 AM »

I'm always amazed at the problems people create. I use CA on external joint and have no issue sanding them. I use a jig so I don't have the plan issue.
y1
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2019, 05:26:05 PM »

Me too, I can't remember the last time I pinned anything to perfectly good paper.  Build on glass, and or a jig.  Hang your plans on the wall and they will last as long as you want.
Mike

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2019, 07:40:01 PM »
  If you have a lot of trouble with plans sticking you are probably using too much glue.  If you see glue of any kind outside the joint it's probably too much. The soap trick work very well if you can avoid excess glue. Too much glue is extra weight especially with CA type that don't gas off, and especially on free flight models. If a glue joint pops loose it probably was fitting as well as it should have. That's where building free flight models, even simple sport models, can help your building technique.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2019, 05:05:43 PM »
Dan, I agree wholeheartedly, if you want to get better at building, build some small stuff!

With that said, I rarely glue the model to the plans from too much glue, it's usually because I'm a klutz and have knocked over a bottle of glue had my CA pipette roll away, or some other stupid thing. Having a bit area to make a mess on saves my bacon more times than I'd care to admit!
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here