News:

• May 03, 2024, 08:19:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Coloured Tissue  (Read 2091 times)

Offline rob biddle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Coloured Tissue
« on: July 26, 2006, 05:10:31 AM »
  Hi all, just wondering if anyone knows of a source for coloured tissue?
I'm planning a couple of classic ships soon and will probably paint the fuselages and cover the wings/ stabs in yellow or orange tissue with either painted or coloured tissue trim.
  I'm more than happy to experiment with this if it is known to work ok.
Does anyone know if it tends to fade more than the commercial stuff?
  I have heard of a couple of  guys here  (in Aus) dyeing their own with food dye, either in a bath tub or in wallpaper troughs. Sadly info on  traditional building techniques is unavailable through the local r/c crowd as most of them only fly arfs, and the "builders" amongst them only ever use monocoat.
  Thanks in advance,
  Rob.
Robert Biddle

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
Re: Coloured Tissue
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 07:32:53 AM »
Rob
I  have been useing Higins Ink from art supply store mix with clear and shoot
in the same manner as clear , two coats of tint then clear to finish.  works great. Attach is one of them, hope this will help.
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Offline Gary Widmer

• New Pilot
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 01:02:08 PM »
Rob,

I need a little clarification.  When you refer to "tissue" do you mean what we here in the States call "silkspan" as opposed to "Japanese tissue?"  Colored Japanese tissue is available, but is expensive and does not fare well when exposed to sunlight (it fades).  It is lightweight  but is more suited to FF models.  Probably not what you want.

Silkspan (which is what I assume you are asking about) is more appropriate for CL models.  K&S Silkspan is/was available in three grades.

OO - For rubber powered and small gas models
GM - For medium gas models
SGM - For large gas models and high speed stund and combat models

In years past, silkspan was available in many colors, but today
K&S is only available in white (as far as I know) but can be colored by using RIT dye.  There have been a number of threads on the SSW forum about how to do it.  Tinting the covering with a mixture of clear dope and Higgins ink looks like a great way to go.  SSW also had a few posts explaining the technique.

Colored tissue trim is another issue.  No strength is required since it is only decorative.  See Mike Keville's "Trailing Edge" column in the July/Aug issue of Stunt News.  The commercial tissue available at crafts stores is cheap and relatively color fast.  Don't try to use it for covering open bays since it won't work.   

It all depends on what your needs are.     

Offline rob biddle

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 07:22:46 PM »
   Thanks gents, I should have been more specific and said silkspan.

I had heard that Jap tissue tends to fade badly and wasn't sure if coloured silkspan would give me the same grief.

I will try to do a search on SSW and see if I can find those previous posts and check out the Stunt News article.

Started out with silkspan covered models as a kid, we were flying anywhere we could which generally meant holes in the covering every time out.
   Switched to plastic film just for convenience (less repairing) until I got through the pattern.   
   I have been getting through the pattern decently now for a couple of years and want to "raise the bar" with my finishing. Intend to post some photo's of next project for you guys to check out.
    Haven't yet got one of those digital camera gizmo's, but now my wife can borrow one from work.
   Thanks again,  Rob.
Robert Biddle

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 09:28:16 PM »
Don't waste your time, Rob; colored silkspan is a non-starter. It was available for a while back in the '70s and early '80s, but the manufacturer quit. (I think the machinery broke.)

You can get pretty good tissue (they say the best is now made in the USA) from Aerodyne. The stuff doesn't fade as much or as quickly as most. See:

http://www.freeflightmodels.com/index.html

Good luck,
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline rob biddle

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 02:47:59 AM »
   Hi all, I did a search on SSW about dying silkspan and was pretty happy with the results, hopefully I can sneak out the shed tonight and knock up some test panels to do some trials with.
   I really like the idea of spraying a couple of coats of dope over watershrunk silkspan,  spraying on  tinted dope and then clear to finish.
   I intend to use 2 pack for the final clearcoat, has anybody experienced/ envisage any problems with this?
   Coming from the auto panel repair game, going from acrylic to 2 pack was a revelation I've had very good results using solid 2 pack colours on models and wish to move towards a more traditional looking finish but still have them "wrapped in plastic". 
   Thanks again, Rob.
Robert Biddle

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 08:14:19 AM »
Sig has colored Plyspan and Litespan which are similar to medium and lightweight silkspan.  Comes in colors, which do fade to some extent.   Also see my post on cutting out tissue letters and numbers on SSW

Offline Steve Scott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • Terrorizing earthworms since '65
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 08:53:31 PM »
Rob
I  have been useing Higins Ink from art supply store mix with clear and shoot
in the same manner as clear , two coats of tint then clear to finish.  works great. Attach is one of them, hope this will help.
Larry - beautiful ship and finish!  Reminds me of Fancher's classic Ares he brought up to a Skyraider Stuntathon in yellow tissue (think it was Polyspan) and clear.  He said it faded very quickly tho...

Offline Warren Leadbeatter

• AUS-14782
  • Captain
    • My Home Page
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 05:22:02 AM »
Hey Rob,

I'm from Oz too.  You can get this stuff called Coverlite (formerly called LITESPAN) from www.TowerHobbies.com that is an iron on synthetic tissue. You iron it on like monokote and use iron or heat gun to shrink it. It can be painted too.

Alternatively, have you heard of a company called BRISTUNT? Brodak agent for Australia. You can phone ( +61 2 99200438), or email Bill at bristunt@optusnet.com.au  They are in Sydney.  Bill has a stack of different colour light weight tissue as well as jap tissue.

As you have discovered you can dye silkspan too i guess but I could not be bothered doing that.

Me personally I'm a huge monokote fan, but have recently discovered this Coverite Microlite film which is iron on and only a fraction of the weight of monokote. ie 0.6 grams per square yard. Also available from Tower Hobbies

I hope this helps.

Cheers
Warren
Sydney Oz.
Warren Leadbeatter
Port Stephens, Australia
AUS-14782

Offline Lane Puckett

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2006, 08:39:58 PM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I can not get over just how beautiful Larry Wong's full bodied Imitation is. 

If you wouldn't mind Larry can you get a new thread started and show some full pictures with a bit of detail given to your polyspan/dye/finish process??  No rush and if you don't have the time I understand.

This plane really did reach out and grab me.

VERY nice.

Lane

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2006, 10:30:01 PM »
As a retired free flighter, I do like the look of colored tissue. One negative is the fading, another is the need for really perfect woodwork under the tissue. And then, oil soaking/staining always seems to spoil the looks, and add some weight. Yeah, yeah, you'll seal it better than ever before...but it'll still happen.

There is an alternative that seems to me to be a great solution. Below are some pics of Ed Ruane's models. He uses clear dope with about 10% colored dope mixed in, just sprayed over white silkspan. Light, covers blems better, doesn't fade, and looks very much like dyed tissue. What could be better?  These pics would look better, but they are compressed to under 50kb for SSW, where I 'found' them! #^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here