News:

• May 01, 2024, 11:20:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cocpit Carving questions  (Read 1127 times)

Offline Mike Foley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Cocpit Carving questions
« on: February 12, 2007, 09:36:29 PM »
I'm getting ready to do the cocpit on my CL-3 Chipmunk. Looking for ideas from you expert builders on techniques for wood removal of the solid fuse block for the interior of the cockpit. I know I can take my dremel and have at it but there has to be a neat way of doing it. Looking to do a nice job to install a pilot bust and instrument panel. Model is scratch built with the exception of the ribs which are from Sig's Super Chippy, "Itentical to the CL-3 Ribs"

Thanks!

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Cocpit Carving questions
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 07:55:58 AM »
I use the x-acto blades which look like a "hoop".  Can't remember if they are called a "gouge" or "Router", or something else!

They come in two sizes, one about 1/4" od, and the other about 1/2" od.  Both sharp on one side.   Even available in rectangular and triangular shapes.

Finish up the inside with a sanding block made from a dowel or piece of LE stock like from an old Ringmaster (my favorite!).
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 06:14:31 AM »
Lately I've been making a balsa box (without the lid) the shape of the inside of the cockpit where I want the pilot to be. Once I have the box made I hold it in place on the top block of the fuselage and trace it out with a pencil. Then I carefully cut that section out of the top block. Once I'm satisfied with the fit I glue my box in place and move on with the project.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Mike Foley

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 09:36:18 PM »
  Thanks!  I will make templates on the top and dig out from there. Ordered some xacto router blades for wood removal. whats' the best material for interior panels? Plywood, balsa, or maybe plastic

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 07:04:43 AM »
  Thanks!  I will make templates on the top and dig out from there. Ordered some xacto router blades for wood removal. whats' the best material for interior panels? Plywood, balsa, or maybe plastic

Hi Mike,

Al Rabe has posted pictures of using file folders cut up for cockpit detail.  I like 1/64th ply for a lot of parts.  .020 plastic works.  Just about anything can be used! ;D

One old tip is to use 600 wet or dry sandpaper to cover the cockpit floor.  Doesn't even need painting!  Last one I did, I used 800 because it was black, not gray.  I lkike to make the instrument panel out of 1/32 or 1/64 ply and "stain" it like a real wood panel.  I use a Dremel stone to "burn" a hole in the panel, then glue instrument faces on a backing and cover it with clear plastic before gluing it to the back of the panel.  Gives very realistic gauge faces.  If you really want it fancy, you can cut pieces of aluminum tubing for "bezels".

Just fiddle with it and have fun! ;D
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here