News:

• April 27, 2024, 10:25:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CLEVISES Good OR Bad  (Read 2793 times)

Offline GEOFFREY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • Northwest Fireballs
CLEVISES Good OR Bad
« on: September 07, 2007, 06:39:12 PM »
At our last  session we had a control failure witch brought up a debate on CLEVISES . we had the group that were firm with the CLEVISE was for "bad word" RC planes,and u/c fliers put more stress with the constant pressure,I personally had a failure on my Tudor with a control rod rotating out of the bellcrank,i did not use a jam nut to back it up. my fault!  others swear by them and say bending music wire is risky. NOW i have JULY's prize on the bench and feel like what to do  Geoffrey waiting for a vote . out
GEOFFREY L CHRISTIANSON  AMA 824607             DELTA PARK Portland Or.

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: CLEVISES Good OR Bad
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 06:43:35 PM »
Clevis---BAD

Ball link (with small washer to capture link, just-in-case)--GOOD H^^

Cheers,
Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 08:53:15 PM »
GOEFFREY,
The clevis offers a very small area of contact to take the wear and loads. Usually about 1/16 diameter. Once a clevis pin or hole wears out it becomes sloppy and the diameter of the pin is reduced due to wear, putting your plane at risk. I have used ball links for seven years on one plane with no noticeable wear. I don't think you will find any experts using the clevis, 1/16 diameter is just to small to risk after all the work you put in that plane. Control line uses more travel more often and faster movement than most RC. I have seen them break and also seen them pull out of the clevis where they are staked in. You know my vote. Hey the plane is way cool. Nice to see what a winner looks like.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 10:36:29 PM by Greg L Bahrman »
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 01:34:24 AM »
Geoffrey,

I'm with Greg on this one.

Though my experience is primarily with R/C airplanes, I've had enough nylon clevis, and CA hinge failures, to swear off both of them forever. Pinned barrel hinges, and captive ball links, can't be beat for reliability.

Also found that threaded push rods can vary greatly in size. Some use  swaged threads, rather than die cut. The swaged threads are not as deep, or as sharp as die cut threads, and can some times be pulled right out of a properly threaded clevice.

When you going to bring the good looking airplane to Delta Park?

Bill
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 04:55:44 PM by Bill Adair »
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 01:50:21 PM »
  I have used clevices since the early 70s on combat ships and never had a failure.  While combat planes lives are relatively short, I put the controls from crashed planes on the next new one so the control mechanism gets quite old and used.  I believe that the loads on the combat control surfaces are somewhat greater than those on a stunter.  BUT  now that I  am flying stunt, I use mostly Ball links and pinned hinges.  although I do have a couple of planes with clevices  (stunters).
  I would ADVISE you to go with Ball links as stated above if you have the room. That is just because there HAVE been so many failures.

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 04:05:51 PM »
The clevis failures which I have seen/heard about (not experienced, thankfully) were all ARF hardware; however, even the good ones (and there are some) aren't as CL friendly as a ball link.

In my "other" life (RC), I quickly learned that ball links were much better than even a good clevis. 

Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Steve Holt

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 05:11:58 PM »
Sometimes there is just not enough room for a ball link and its attaching hardware.  Where a clevis is necessary, I've had good luck with the black plastic ones from DuBro.  They are a reinforced nylon (like the bail joints) with a removable metal pin held in place with a metal clip.  When threaded onto the pushrod, they are tight like a nylon lock nut so they will not pull off the threads nor will they "chatter" on the threads and cause a thread failure.  It seems to me that they fix most of the issues with the usual metal clevises - the pin can't come out, they don't pull off the pushrod threads, and they don't cause thread problems with vibration.  Has anyone had a failure on one of these?
Steve

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 05:38:16 PM »
Hi Steve,

No failures with the Dubro clevis that you described--when I use them, I usually wrap a couple of turns of serving wire around the little locking clip, just in case.  Yes, I'm a "little" cautious about some things. ::)

Jim

PS: On my Oriental arf, I removed most of the wood from a small area of the fuse sides (inside) right where the Dubro ball link attaches to the elevator horn.  I used the Dubro link that screws onto a 4-40 rod, but uses a 2-56 screw to atttach the link to the horn.
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 12:10:59 PM »
This is a controversial issue but here is my take..

I use clevises for the elevator on most everything that isn't a full blown 60 size stunt ship. The large Dubro plastic is a good one as is the Sullivan Gold in 4-40. The TwistMaster has 3 of the Sullivans with jam nuts and has been flying for 7 years without a problem. Ths is a profile with external controls so easy to see if I ever have a wear issue.

Use a jam nut plus the little clip that comes with the Sullivan and you won't have any trouble.. Do not use anything that comes with an ARF, any 2-56 clevis or anything other than the two mentioned above.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2007, 12:54:32 PM »
The only clevis I have and will use is the one sold and made by UHP in Dallas. It is machined aluminum with a large pin.  y1

Ya, I really like the UHP clevis.. Believe it or not I have one on my Ringmaster  ;D
It really worked out well for the plywood control horn..

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2007, 01:05:42 PM »
I had completely forgotten about the excellent UHP clevis.  Thanks for reminding me.

Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2007, 11:34:48 AM »
The only clevis I have and will use is the one sold and made by UHP in Dallas. It is machined aluminum with a large pin.  y1

Those ARE the only ones I trust.  There *may* be others, but why worry? 
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2007, 04:48:30 PM »
Been using clevis's for a long time - successfully.  I think it helps a LOT when you use really long control horns (1" throw or more) because it takes a lot of load off the pushrod and the clevis.  It also makes the bushings last a lot longer.  I also would never use one on the elevator to flap pushrod where the elevator is slaved off the flap.

I also apply this philosophy when using ball links, or solid wire rods - light loads = long control system life.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2007, 07:56:19 AM »
I will admit that I HAVE used different clevises on Profiles where they are exposed and I check them all the time.  But they are the fairly expensive ones.

But when they are enclosed inside the fuselage, I go with the ball links and lock tight.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here