News:

• May 22, 2024, 11:10:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: C/L length@Diameter  (Read 1350 times)

Offline Ronald Hopping

• if your not flyen your not tryen!
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
  • they all gotta die someday!!!!
C/L length@Diameter
« on: July 27, 2006, 09:21:46 PM »
Hi all dont know if this is the right place to ask this question so here goes!I have a Sig akromaster O'S 20fp and a sig banshee O'S .40la what lenth wire and diameter do you all recommend and is there a guide as to determine lenth and diameter as to differant plane and engine combos?been away a while and just coming back in to c/l never flew anything bigger than a .15 c/l.Thanks ???
Ronald

Offline Ronald Hopping

• New Pilot
Re: C/L length@Diameter
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 09:59:02 AM »
Thanks for the reply rudderless Ron
Ronald

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 10:48:30 AM »
Hi Ron,

On that Akromaster with the FP 20, be ready to go with longer lines unless you just like going really, really, fast! 

A 9-4 on a plane MUCH bigger and heavier than the AM w/FP 20 flys quite nicely on .015 X 60' eye to eye.  THE FP 20 is a BEAR in sheep's clothing!

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 11:05:17 AM »
On the Sig Akromaster with the .20, I would go with 52' eye to eye and .012" lines. 

No offense, but,  Yikes!   If you like 3 second laps, maybe. The 20FP on the Acromaster (about the size of many 1/2A stunt planes) will be an absolute *bomb*, CRAZY FAST. Not to mention grotesquely nose-heavy without a ton of ballast.  You can fly a Nobler with decent results with a 20FP - a  full-sized Nobler. 

Super-short lines are not the way to go. I run .015x60-62's on my Skyray 35/20FP. You may get away with the  .012s if they are kept in good shape but I would not feel comfortable with that. I would suggest .015x60 to begin with, and makre sure to put in enough line sweep and tipweight.

In any case, I don't think the Acromaster and the 20FP will end up being a happy combination. Might want to reconsider that, and use an older, baffle-piston 15 (as it was designed for), a 15 LA, a 10FP, or something like that.

Brett

Offline Ronald Hopping

• New Pilot
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 11:36:18 AM »
I have a older super tigre.15 i may try on the akromaster?anyone have any input on the ST.15???
Ronald

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 01:20:49 PM »
I have a older super tigre.15 i may try on the akromaster?anyone have any input on the ST.15???

Much more appropriate. It will still be pretty darn fast, but not out of the park crazy overkill. I still think you want more than 52' of line.

In fact, if you didn't have one, I was going to suggest a trade - I have a ST G20/15 in good shape (about an 8 or 9) that I would be willing to trade for an 20FP ABC in good shape.

Alternatively, I would suggest that the 20FP would be pretty good for the Banshee, if you keep it light. The Banshee/Veco 19 was the hot setup in WAM A" Stunt  for years, and the 20 has more power than the Veco.

Brett

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 11:20:15 PM »

Still too much engine for "normal operation", but much lighter than the OS .20FP. You may not remember, but the ST G20.15 was one of the mainstays in C/L Goodyear Racing back in the '60s and '70.

A Fox .15 is plenty of engine, or an .09 diesel such as the MVVS 15 (1.5cc) or an old Webra Record. An older OS .10S (NOT FSR) would be about right, too.
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here