News:

• May 05, 2024, 04:56:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cheap Span  (Read 1038 times)

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Cheap Span
« on: October 25, 2006, 05:23:17 PM »
Came across something frugal people might be interested in.  We were throwing out an old wooden bed spring.  Turns out the dust cover on the bottom was two layers of very light, non-woven polyester.  60 in x 80 in. piece weighs 30 grams.  I'll give it a try here over the winter, but it looks like an very inexpensive source of covering.  I imagine if you have a local mattress manufacturer they have rolls of this stuff available, or get it off mattress returns from the local bedding store.
phil Cartier

Offline Bob Johnson

• Lieutenant
  • Lone Eagle Stunt Flyers -Have stooge. will travel.
Re: Cheap Span
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 03:33:38 PM »
or... when the wife ain't lookin'  ;) >:D

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 05:45:56 PM »
Phil,
Your wife lets you throw stuff away  ??? My wife would kill me if I did'nt (groan) recycle.

Scott
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122
FAI F2C VOLUME 2 SECTION 4, 4.3.7
m) During the refuelling and the restart of the motor, and until the time when he releases the model aircraft, the mechanic must keep the model aircraft in contact with the ground by at least one point and with the centre line outside the flight circle. During that time the pilot must be crouching or sitting inside the centre circle. He keeps one hand on the ground and his handle and his lines as close to the ground as defined by the F2C panel of judges until the model aircraft starts again.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 08:01:02 PM »
This stuff is available at your local fabric store. Take a micrometer, and get the thinnest type they have. You might want to take a sample of silkspan along. I don't remember what they call it..."interfacing", maybe . Mike Haverly gave us this info at our September meeting. I guess Mieko sews. He covered his Oriental Plus with this stuff, and it came out fine, tho it's about twice as thick as genuine Polyspan.  Seriously strong covering.  :X Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Richard Grogan

• AMA Member 85745 Stunt Hangar
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 11:12:48 PM »
This stuff is available at your local fabric store. Take a micrometer, and get the thinnest type they have. You might want to take a sample of silkspan along. I don't remember what they call it..."interfacing", maybe . Mike Haverly gave us this info at our September meeting. I guess Mieko sews. He covered his Oriental Plus with this stuff, and it came out fine, tho it's about twice as thick as genuine Polyspan.  Seriously strong covering.  :X Steve
Doesn't Phil Granderson use CF veil for his skins? I think he did on one of his Divas, dont know if it gets any tougher than that!!I wonder what that weighs out at...v/s PolySpan??? ??? ??? ???

%^
Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 06:01:59 PM »
Steve, I've looked at a lot of nonwoven interfacing.  I had a really hard time finding stuff that was thin and fairly stiff, like the spring undercover.  Depends a lot on the shop and where they get their fabric.  Usually interfacing is made fairly thick to give the fabric some hand.  If you can find what you want, that is great.  A local mattress factory is just another spot to look, if they are using this stuff for the bottoms of their spring.

No problem with recycling, just cut the stuff off before you drop it off.  They won't care.  Nobody should be using a 20 year old spring anyway.  They do wear out.
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here