News:

• April 27, 2024, 09:40:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CF Pushrod / Ball Links Instructions  (Read 1170 times)

Offline Colin McRae

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Are we having fun yet??
CF Pushrod / Ball Links Instructions
« on: January 01, 2024, 09:39:18 AM »
I was wondering if anyone was aware of a good instructional video that might be available on the best techniques for making up pushrods using CF tubes and ball links. I have not use CF pushrods to date but am planning to on my future builds.

I am currently working on a smaller size Brodak Yak-9 with flaps so the rods will be relatively short in length.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Mike Morrow

• 24 supporter
  • Lieutenant
Re: CF Pushrod / Ball Links Instructions
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2024, 11:36:15 AM »
Do a search for "pushrods". Should be most of the info you need. Central Hobbies has the parts you need.

Mike

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2024, 11:58:20 AM »
Do a search for "pushrods". Should be most of the info you need. Central Hobbies has the parts you need.

Mike

Thanks

I did do a bit of searching and have read a little. Will do more. I was just hoping there might be a good video out there. But I will make due.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2024, 01:36:08 PM »

This is my preferred method for a profile where I do not need one that can be twisted for adjustment.  If you can find left hand 4-40 all thread you could make one twist adjustable.  Hard enough to find right hand at a reasonable price.  I prefer all-thread to formed ends because there is no stress on the thread from machining.  Towards the end they stress putting the pushrod in a jig like vise to keep the air pressure from pushing the ends out.  That is real.

If you can't find all-thread buy some long 4-40 or M3 metric bolts and cut off the heads.  Put the cut head into the tube.  Wrapping is easier with threaded insert since you can wrap the threads.  Use Kevlar thread.  You are not wrapping just to keep the bolt in, you are wrapping to keep the CF rod from splitting.  If you want them to be twist adjustable, I use stainless steel L/R Studs.  They are like the DuBro turnbuckles but much stronger - and cheaper - if you can wait for them to get here from China. 

There are more on YouTube, and I think Sparky has one somewhere in his series.

Ken
« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 02:31:01 PM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2024, 11:54:11 AM »
Thanks Ken. The video is just what I needed.

Like I always do, I will do a practice one to be fully aware of all the steps.

On the smallish Yak-9, the 2 rods are only like 9" long. I assume a 3/16" OD rod (1/8" ID) is adequate. Or is a different size recommended?

And what is the best method for cutting the rod to length when needed?

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2024, 02:44:24 PM »
3/16” tube is adequate.  You can cut the tube with a Dremel disc, part no. 409 or 420.  Yes, the air pressure thing is real.  An alternative to holding the ends in is to drill a tiny hole in the tube for air to get out. Use one of those wee carbide circuit board drills you get from Harbor Freight that punctures your finger when you open the box.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2024, 03:00:46 PM »
3/16” tube is adequate.  You can cut the tube with a Dremel disc, part no. 409 or 420.  Yes, the air pressure thing is real.  An alternative to holding the ends in is to drill a tiny hole in the tube for air to get out. Use one of those wee carbide circuit board drills you get from Harbor Freight that punctures your finger when you open the box.

Thx Howard. I have 3/16" (1/8" ID) CF rod available. Also 4-40 all treaded rod.

Is it recommended to 'roughen' the inside of the CF tube ends a bit, so the JB weld has a better bond to the all thread? The video did not show this as a step.

I was also wondering if 20# test spectra line could be used as an alternate to Kevlar thread to wrap the ends? I have a bunch of thin Spectra that I have used for flying lines on past 1/2a models.

Thanks in advance.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 03:29:21 PM by Colin McRae »

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2024, 04:02:26 PM »
Thx Howard. I have 3/16" (1/8" ID) CF rod available. Also 4-40 all treaded rod.

Is it recommended to 'roughen' the inside of the CF tube ends a bit, so the JB weld has a better bond to the all thread? The video did not show this as a step.

I was also wondering if 20# test spectra line could be used as an alternate to Kevlar thread to wrap the ends? I have a bunch of thin Spectra that I have used for flying lines on past 1/2a models.

Thanks in advance.

I have used spectra in a pinch.  Even nylon sewing thread.  Whole point is to keep the CF from delaminating or splitting.  Push pull strength is way up there, bending not so much.

ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2024, 10:04:16 AM »
Thanks, Ken, for the video on the recommended method to make up a CF pushrod system with ball joints. My first attempt but was not too difficult.

I have upgraded the stock wire pushrod system on my Brodak P40 ARF with a CF pushrod system. I elected not to cut into the wing, so the bell crank still uses a z-bend end. But Dubro 2-56/4-40 ball joints elsewhere.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here