News:

• April 27, 2024, 06:47:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Carbon Landing Gear  (Read 2673 times)

Offline Alan Resinger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Carbon Landing Gear
« on: November 24, 2015, 05:49:41 PM »
Flying with Paul Walker for the last 30 plus years tends to expose one to lots of nifty building techniques and just plain
awesome engineering tricks.  A couple years ago he showed up at the start of the season with his new take apart Predator.  MIke Haverly had made the take apart hardware and Paul employed a removable carbon fiber landing gear.  With the new build in progress I decided that the carbon gear was just what I needed for this coming years effort.  The following pictures show what I came up with.
The first picture is the Yatchenko removable titanium gear that is used on quite a few of Yuri and Andrei's models.  I decided to use their mounting unit which is an injection moulded unit that has a ball with a spring putting pressure on it to hold the metal gear leg.
The next picture shows the two 1/16" unidirectional carbon that I made from material I got from Dragon Plate.  These two are glued together with JB Weld.  The top of the leg, which after gluing is 1/8" thick is then thinned to the same thickness as the titanium leg that comes with the removable unit.
The next picture shows that I decided to make next years ship look high tech so I vacuum bagged some 2 oz. carbon cloth on the outside and it will remain clear finished so the cloth shows.
The gear looks a lot like Paul's, but I decided to one up him and milled out about 1/32" on the inside surface.  The final picture shows this neat little touch.
Nothing like sparing no expense just to put a $3 pair of wheel on your next world beater.
Alan Resinger

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Carbon Landing Gear
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 07:50:54 PM »
The escalating levels of one-upsmanship is nothing short of astonishing! I was trying to figure out how to do this, not yet having seen PW's. I still have some questions. Shouldn't those LG legs and fairings be hollow with foam cores?  ;) Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Chris_Rud

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 02:22:05 PM »
What is the weight savings? Looks awesome!

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 03:50:26 PM »
Chris,
The carbon gear legs weigh 10.5g each which is less than a piece of 1/8" wire long enough for a similar length removable leg assy.  The Yatchenko plug in unit is probably slightly less weight than LG blocks and plywood clips that you would need for a built up or foam wing.  Then you would have to add fairings to the wire gear.
Alan 

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 04:23:05 PM »
My Alan, aren't you the clever little elf. How's the back?
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 12:38:40 PM »
I like this aproach,, I wish my pracgtice field warranted use of wing mounted gear, but I must maintain my shock absorbing fuse gear,, for now
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here