News:

• May 06, 2024, 08:23:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: canned paints  (Read 1429 times)

Offline ebonbetta

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
canned paints
« on: September 28, 2006, 09:03:50 AM »
I have seen reference to using rustoleum and such spray paints but was wondering if they are the same as the small cans of enamel paints. If you just sprayed those with an airbrush and thinned them some? also wha would you use to thin them ?

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
Re: canned paints
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 09:43:09 AM »
Hi James,
Disclaimer first - I have never done this!

However, as Rustoleum is an oil-based enamel, plain old Paint Thinner, aka Mineral Spirits, would be the thinner-of-choice, but I don't believe you can thin the stuff enough to get it through an airbrush! I Googled the topics, and they were talking about 10:1 thinner-to-paint and using conventional spray guns. For a 40 psi airbrush, you might have to go to 50:1.

Have you tried Brodak colors? I just tried an experiment with the Silver. I combined 1 oz. Silver, 3 oz. Clear and 3oz. Thinner, almost water thin, and got complete coverage in 2 coats on a solid surface! Sutface prep was 2 coaats of thinned clear, Jap Tissue applied with thinner, and two more thinned coats of clear. Then the color as described. Best-looking Silver I've ever done.
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline ebonbetta

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 01:20:30 PM »
I am still accumulation ideas. So far I have just 1 plane finished but wish to experiment a bit more on covering and paint options before I finish a second one.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 06:27:05 PM »
I have thinned canned Rustoleum and sprayed it with an airbrush to paint the canopy on a profile. Used acetone for thinner, worked well for the small area I painted but not sure I would try to do a large area with an air brush.

Have no idea what I ended up with as far as how much thinner to paint, I mixed very small amounts and just added acetone till it looked about right, did a test spray and added more if needed... Not even sure acetone is the correct thinner but it worked.

Could have it mixed up with another product but seem to remember the can saying to use Rustoleum thinner which I didn't have so just tried acetone and it worked..

Offline Glen Wearden

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 10:18:22 AM »
I have thought about taking canned Rustoleum enamel, thinning it and brushing it on like dope.  Would this work?  Glen
Glen Wearden

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 09:42:47 PM »
I have thought about taking canned Rustoleum enamel, thinning it and brushing it on like dope.  Would this work?  Glen

Yes.  I painted a profile with white Rustolem rattle can before assembly.  I touched up the wing to fuse and fuse to tail joints with rustoleum from the can with a brush after assembly.    It is real thick, and takes a lot of thinner.   I have brushed it on to fix repairs too.
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 10:35:26 PM »
Just an off-beat thought:

Turpentine and kerosene are somewhat similar thinners. If you ever consider using a diesel, keep in mind that the power ingredient in the fuel is kerosene.

How do I know it works like that? A friend tried a small diesel powered RC model, painted with one of the available model enamels, and it took me three weeks to wash the dissolved paint off my fingers. I'd launched for him, you see...
\BEST\LOU

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here