News:

• April 27, 2024, 06:37:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: can you paint on monokote????  (Read 2136 times)

Offline Dennis Warchol

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
can you paint on monokote????
« on: April 02, 2006, 02:25:44 PM »
Hi guys i have a question.I have seen guys paint over monokote but how do you do it and does it stick. Can I use rustoleum or the plastic paint "Fusion"  by rustoleum,is this Fuel proof, or does it have to be dope???? The lungs don't do well with dope any more I'm trying to stay away from it. Thanks in advance for the help. DenW
Dennis Warchol

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: can you paint on monokote????
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 03:15:09 PM »
Yes you can paint over monokote. Rough up the surface to be painted 400 grit and you can use Lustre kote I think rustoleum works also. There should be a couple of threads on that farther down.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Dennis Pedersen

• ACE
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 06:32:10 PM »
Hello and yes you can paint over it.A friend of mine painted over his monokote with automotive paint about 8 years ago and it still looks very good .It is a nice way to trim ect.He covered it all in white and then masked it off ect .He cleaned then sanded lightly to dull the finish with 800 or 1000 paper .No primer used then sprayed his trim .      :)
Dennis Pedersen
Alberta Canada

Offline Ironbomb

• AMA Member
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 10:47:39 AM »
The "Fusion" paint does not do well with fuel. In fact, if I had to remove Fusion, I would use 5%nitro fuel. Not really, but you get my point. I put Fusion on my beater Cardinal, sticks to monocote real good, til fuel touchs it.

Here is a pic of my Cardinal, the yellow on the tips is Fusion, the horizontal surfaces are monocote, the yellow around the fues is Fusion.

A clear poly urethane topcoat may help, I did not put a top coat on mine.

I have used appliance epoxy paint before, and it is VERY fuel proof to 25%. I fear it may crack on monocote tho. The white of the fues is epoxy paint white.

Greg
Beating the crap out of the ground, one airplane at a time

Greg Bossio
AMA 834382

Offline Jerry Bohn

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 03:39:15 PM »
I have used Leesters method, with one exception. I use medium steel wool to rough up the surface. I find it is more compatable with any masking tape you may have for designs. I use Rustoleum , works for me.

Jerry
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 05:56:01 PM by highflyinguy »
Jerry Bohn

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 01:59:14 PM »
Used to was, long time ago, I managed to paint clear Monokote with AeroGloss.

Pretended to plasticize the AG with several drops of castor per pint - which never seemed to dissolve. They'd settle out in the bottom of the can by the next time I popped the lid.

Never used any grade of sandpaper or steel wool, either. Just a fairly wet wash with fresh acetone and hands off the target area. Sprayed fairly thinned AG, lightly, building up layers gradually.

Almost impossible to mask - low adhesion - but a very quick and LIGHT way to a nice finish for that time. If the wood job was good enough to look nice under $Kote, the finish looked nicer.

Lost the last survivor recently - a model built in the early 1980's. Most of the AG remained, but the expansion/contraction of the plastic film over the years made a very spotty finish by the time the ground rose up and bit it.

With today's materials and supplies NOT a part of that experiment, I'm reading this thread with interest.
\BEST\LOU

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here