News:

• April 27, 2024, 12:54:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Building with wing jig ?  (Read 2281 times)

Offline Rob Killick

• 2013 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Building with wing jig ?
« on: April 01, 2006, 09:48:31 PM »
Gentlemen ,

I've purchased an RSM Feno and I want to use a wing jig to aid in a straight wing construction .
I've built myself a set of these jigs http://webpages.charter.net/rcfu/ConstGuide/WJConstr.html
I want to use metal "drill rod" , instead of graphite arrow shafts .
I can only get the rods in 36 inch lengths .
Here's the problem ...
The wing has only one rib on the fuselage center (looking from the top view)
The leading edge , has a notch cut in both the left and right leading edge (inside the fuse) , to accomodate a fuselage former .
How should I set about joining the two wing panels together (butt joint , with ply braces at the join) ?
With the rod only being 36 inches long , I'm pretty well commited to building two panels .
That darned leading edge notch and single center rib , is driving me crazier !
Thanks in advance :)

Rob Killick

Rob Killick , MAAC 33300

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: Building with wing jig ?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 11:39:45 PM »
Rob: I don't see where you are saying a single center rib.There are 4 ribs R1 (my plans show them as F1 but thats wrong) they are outside the fusalage. If your jig box is long enough to take the full wing use 4 rods and angle splice the leading edge. Make your splice outside of the fusalage about mid panel. My ribs are not cut for jig rods are yours? If you do make 2 panels angle splice at the center the fusalage former that goes in the cutout will be your brace.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 11:57:55 PM by Leester »
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Rob Killick

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 09:40:48 AM »
Hi Leester ,

The plans show a "R-0 rib , right in the centerline of the wing plan .
To answer your 2nd question about ribs being rigged for jig rods . Yes , they have beautiful little laser cut holes (1/8 inch) in them .
Thanks for the help , I really appreciate it :)

Rob K.
Rob Killick , MAAC 33300

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 10:30:59 AM »
Rob I bought one of the first kits when they came out a year ago last december. My ribs have no jig holes, but they should be 5/32 nd that's what Eric uses. Are you sure that the center rib as you call it isn't the wings center line? as I have no R-0, not doubting you just making sure. Also if you use 4 rods make sure you make a center brace for the rods to rest on or in at the same height as your end braces.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Rob Killick

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 11:55:06 AM »
Howdy :)

Yup , this kit was purchased about 1 month ago and comes laser cut , with rod holes.
I must admit , though I have checked the balsa part sheets again and have found that there are two , R-0 ribs , so two seperate panels can be built .
Methinks excitement makes me forgetful and impatient :)
Thanks Lees :)

Rob K.
Rob Killick , MAAC 33300

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2006, 12:20:14 PM »
Double check your jig holes they should be 5/32nd like I said not 1/8. If you need any help at all you can send me a PM or regular email. Those R-0 ribs are probobly mainly for supporting the center sheeting as most of the insides of them will have to be trimmed away for bellcrank and lead out clearence. Good luck but take your time and double check everything. Eric makes excellent kits but YOU have to do all the thinking.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2006, 08:57:52 AM »
I too had one of those jigs that only went to 36 inches.  I went and bought two more rods and a length of brass tubing to make the rods long enough to build the wings in one peice.  Just have to improvise once in a while.  Later,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Busby

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2006, 08:59:17 AM »
You can always trace the center rib and then add one to each panel,or jig up the rods on either side of the center rib to join the wing in the center.
Of course this would mean that you would have to purchase an additional two rods.
Busby
Marshall Busby

Offline Rob Killick

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 04:56:45 PM »
Hey guys ,

Thanks afor all the great suggestions .
I recieved an email from Eric Rule , explaining what he suggests .
Six pieces of 3/8ths ply , cut to 6" x 4" lengths , bisect the 6" side to 3" and drill the rod holes (depending what size you use) the proper distance apart , to match the holes in the ribs , at the(3") center-line .
It's one of those "Too simple , to be true" scenerios .
Again thank for the suggestions :)

Rob Killick
Rob Killick , MAAC 33300

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here