News:

• May 03, 2024, 01:46:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Building the ARF Super Clown  (Read 910 times)

Offline Mitch Stein

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Building the ARF Super Clown
« on: October 11, 2006, 02:28:03 PM »
Hi,

Now that I have all of the supplies I am starting to assemble the ARF Super Clown. What is recommended to seal:

1. The exposed wood around the nose.
             2. The  exposed wood in the hinge pockets on the
                 wings/flaps and elevator.
             3. And hearing so much about the cheap plastic film on
                 these ARFs what do you guys use to seal the film
                 edges and overlapped areas.

Thanks in advance,

Mitch ???

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: Building the ARF Super Clown
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 02:37:53 PM »
Try it on a test piece to be sure but LustreKote Crystal Clear is suppose to be fuel proof to 15% nitro and is used on planes with MonoKote so I'd give it a shot.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Tom Perry

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 05:15:22 PM »
Use a non water based polyurethane varnish for all three.  I use Minwax brand clear gloss and put it on with one of those throw away sponge brushes  The varnish dosn't need thinning and if you use a bristle brush you can clean it with paint thinner or mineral spirits. 

#^ ~> #^
Tight lines,

Tom Perry
 Norfolk, Virginia

Offline Bob Hudak

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 08:04:13 PM »
I'm using 30 min. epoxy thinned with isopropyl alcohol to seal the seams,but an little amount peels off when I clean the plane. I tried some Fletch Tite (this is used to hold arrow fletchings on arrow shafts)on a small area . I need to find something to thin Fletch Tite because it is too thick out of the tube,but it really grabs the Monokote. MEK maybe?

Offline Steve Holt

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 06:55:06 PM »
I just finished mine and surprise - the controls are so stiff I don't think it will be flyable.  I used the included barrel hinges and they are really stiff.   I may have to pull all the hinges and replace them with DuBro.

I used finishing epoxy to seal the nose area and covered the joint of the covering to wood around the nose with it.  I added some trim to the wing on both sides of the fuselage, Ultrakote red and white checkerboard.  It laps over the LE about 1/4" so should anchor the root section of the wing covering.  I have some old Fascal from combat days, and plan to add a 1/2" wide strip along the LE to seal it.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here