News:

• May 22, 2024, 11:14:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Building another one  (Read 26859 times)

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Building another one
« Reply #100 on: March 06, 2013, 10:35:28 AM »
Man that is a great idea on the control surface jigs,,
I took a peice of particle board, slit a groove in it, and CA my brass tabs into the slit,, but well its only good for ONE airplane,,
I see a project on my horizon
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #101 on: March 27, 2013, 10:05:59 PM »
I have been making some progress.

I have molded the top and bottom blocks.

Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #102 on: March 27, 2013, 10:31:48 PM »
Wing install.

I have alot of pictures of the wing install.

I will try to touch on the process but as always pictures are worth a thousand words.

1-2-3. Initial layout and alignment of the fuse on the table.  I use medium CA and kicker and glue the fuse to the table.  Using kicker it keeps the glue getting too deep into the wood and it pops off table at the end rather easily.  I use two squares to make sure the fuse is lined up square with the building surface.
4-5. Initial fit, just the first of what seemed liked 75,000 fits.
6. Using a small square I am able to measure the height of the trailing edge and the depth of the trailing edge off the of the back of the building surface.
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #103 on: March 27, 2013, 10:50:42 PM »
Wing install continued.

After the wing is properly lined up I tack it in place on the top of the wing to the saddle with thin CA using one of those long extensions to reach up under the wing.  

7. Initial fit of the bottom section back into the fuse. Using 1/64 plywood shims to fill the gaps.
8. Shims flush along the outside fuse sides. Once installed remove all the cross braces and filler pieces that kept the bottom piece lined up during install.
9. Next using 1/4" balsa I "block" the wing up against F2 using epoxy.
10. Using 1/32 plywood I bridge the back of the seems inside the fuse.
11. Shape the 1/16 plywood C-clips.
12. Install the C-clips.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 11:52:34 PM by Doug Moon »
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #104 on: March 27, 2013, 11:14:46 PM »
Wing Install continued.

It is important to fill any gaps in the wing saddle with wood. They need to fit flush but not create pressure during the install.
14. Using 1/16" and 1/32" balsa you can see the shim line up on the inside of the fuse. I drop some thin CA on the inside.
15. Score the wood along the fuse outside and lift up
16. I am certain not to cut through it, scoring it is plenty.  
17. Lift up and it snaps off with ease.
18. 1/8" Plywood pivot block.
19. Hysol 2 part 24 hour epoxy.
20. Hysol application gun makes for a very easy install.  The long stem has baffles in it and it mixes the two part epoxy as it is squeezed through for application.

Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Wade Bognuda

• Commander
« Reply #105 on: March 27, 2013, 11:23:57 PM »
Derek,

I didn't know that.

Thanks for the heads up.

Charles

HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~> HB~>

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #106 on: March 27, 2013, 11:35:23 PM »
Wing Install continued.

21. Hysol applied with applicator, easy as pie.
22. After the epoxy is dry cut the excess pivot flush with the block and attach 1/16" plywood cover.
23. Block the top of wing up against F2 and relieve any excess maple motor mount.
24. Using a protractor I can adjust the total throw of the flap horn and make sure it is equal in both directions.
25-26. Using 5/32 copper tubing over the flap horn it is easier to see the total throw.
27. Flap Horn push rod connected to the horn.

Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #107 on: March 27, 2013, 11:42:02 PM »
Stab install.

1. Remove the top of the fuse above the stab cutout and make an initial fit.
2. Using a flat sander make sure the stab is aligned properly, this takes many tries to get correct. But once it is to my satisfaction I take it in place with CA then apply the Hysol. And then place the top section that was removed back into the fuse.

Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Jason Greer

• Captain
« Reply #108 on: March 28, 2013, 09:44:55 PM »
Doug,

Thanks for showing so much detail.  Really enjoying watching your build and learning a lot!

Take care,
Jason
El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #109 on: March 28, 2013, 11:00:16 PM »
Doug,

Thanks for showing so much detail.  Really enjoying watching your build and learning a lot!

Take care,
Jason

Thanks and you are welcome. 

I am glad people are enjoying the thread.   #^ #^ #^
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #110 on: March 28, 2013, 11:06:23 PM »
Marcus sent me massage asking about how I am going to mount my engine.

I use standard maple beams. I mount aluminum pads using 6/32 bolts and blind nuts to the beams. Then I tap the pads for 6/32 bolts and mount the motor to the pads.  

I have added a couple of pics to show how it works.

Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • "Never fly faster than your shoulder angel"
« Reply #111 on: March 29, 2013, 05:15:52 AM »
Thanks Doug.
I'd better get back to the drawing board... H^^

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

"There's no try. Do or Do not." - Master Yoda

"Wealth and fame, he's ignorant
Action is his reward, look out
Here comes Marcus, man..."

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #112 on: April 03, 2013, 03:49:46 PM »
Getting more work done.

Push rod is installed.
Linkage at the flaphorn.

Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #113 on: April 03, 2013, 03:58:22 PM »
I also installed thepipe floor.

It is importatnt the pipe floor is tight up against the fuse sides.  Helps to build a strong box fuse.

I used a light piece of 3/32
First section installed
Second section all the way back just ahead of the tail wheel area
Another view showing the joint.
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #114 on: April 03, 2013, 06:44:41 PM »
I am very surprised you do not drill the holes for the motor before you add the crutch to the sides. I use to do it like yours until a motor mt split. I now drill them and add the spacer. It looks very nice. I was just given one of those fancy fuselage jigs. I wish I had it 30 years ago.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #115 on: April 03, 2013, 09:54:09 PM »
Ed,

That's very good to know.  I may switch to that.  I havent had an issue but if it did I would be pretty mad about it that's for sure. 

Thanks

Doug

Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Online Sina Goudarzi

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #116 on: April 04, 2013, 01:03:18 AM »
Doug,

Thank you very much for posting this informative building process. It is greatly appreciated and I follow every steps joyfully.
I am crossing fingers it will be continued for the painting process as well.

thank you very much
sina
Sina

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #117 on: April 05, 2013, 10:31:16 PM »
Thanks Sina!  I do plan to show the finishing as well.

Next is the tail wheel.
I fly off a stooge now most of the time.  This has to be bullet proof. 

1. Test fit the 1/16" Plywood mount.
2. Using 3/32 wire bend a loop and sew it to the mount using SIG wrapping wire.  Once satisfied with the mounting of the 3/32 wire I glue it with 5 minute epoxy.
3-4. Using epoxy I glue in the tail wheel mount and 1/8x1/8 balsa along each side creating more gluing surface attached to both the tail wheel mount and the fuse sides.
5. Slip in some 1/16 balsa to act kind of like a cap.

The other end where the wheel is there is small angle in the corner so the clip holding the model will pull against the wire and not the mounted wheel.
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #118 on: April 05, 2013, 10:43:17 PM »
Next I seal the pipe floor, bottom of the wing, tank and engine compartment.

I use 5 minute epoxy thinned with alcohol until the consistency is the same.  Brush it on with an epoxy brush.
Once its dry the wood is sealed and shouldn't absorb any oil. At least it should be resistant.
Trim and test fit the bottom block/pipe tunnel.

Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #119 on: April 05, 2013, 10:59:25 PM »
Building the gear.

I use wing gear.  I use 1/8 wire for the gear.

1. Initial gear bending.
2. I trace out what I think are cool looking gear doors on 1/64 plywood.
3. Laminate the first one cross grain to the 1/64 plywood using medium CA.  It is stronger than just using 1/32 plywood.
4. Gear doors complete.
5. I need to attach the gear doors to the wire.  I flatten one side of 5/16 dowel.
6. Using a dremel I groove the dowel.
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #120 on: April 05, 2013, 11:08:52 PM »
Gear Continued,

7. Next I use my dremel and rough sanding drum and rough the gear wire.  It removes any residue from the wire.  Glue will stick to the surface no problem once it is roughed out. Using 5 minute epoxy I fill the groove a little and slide the wire into the groove then place on the gear door.  Using a speed square I make sure the wire dries 90 degrees to the gear door.
8. Once they are dry I use some 1/8 balsa scrap to make some sort of small shock looking actuator.  You can see I left a gap in there to also give the appearance of a shock.
9. Complete and in the plane/
10. The finished product will look something like this. The dressing on each end is an aluminum tube cut to fit.

I learned the method of fake shocks from Windy on the spitfire series.  I modified the attachment using a grooved dowel.

Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #121 on: April 06, 2013, 04:48:11 AM »
Very cool Doug.

Thanks for posting!!

Marcus
Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #122 on: April 06, 2013, 06:54:40 AM »
Doug  Some very nice idea's. I like the gear. I used that Motor mounting method for a few years so I could change motors. Not sure why I stoped. I think I will go back to it. How thick is the pad??
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #123 on: April 06, 2013, 10:05:09 PM »
Ed,

The pad is 3/16" thick.

Doug
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #124 on: April 11, 2013, 10:40:26 AM »
More progress.

The bottom blocks are on.  I used molded 3/32" balsa.  
When I remove the wraps from the molds I sand the blocks before pulling them off the mold.  It's easy to get a real nice surface when they are on the mold.
I thin down some 5 minute epoxy with alcohol and sealed the inside of the tunnel before I mount it to the plane.  I also seal the tank area, engine bay, pipe valley at this point.
Next I slip it back on the mold and trim the edges off even with the bottom of the mold.
Then I take my time using a long block and sand the edges where the mold will lay nice and flat on the table and then final fit sand it to where it will lay nice and flat on the plane with no pressure to hold it in place.  You never want to have to apply much more than a resting hand amount of pressure when gluing the mold onto the fuse.  If you do apply alot of pressure to put it in place it will constantly be under pressure trying to twist away from its attachement and could warp your fuse.  You will know this when your stab no longer lines up with the wing....ask me how I know this......  Using thin CA I tack the mold in place, each corner first then work my way back alog the sides.  Four or five dots per side.  Once satisfied I hold the plane vertical and apply thin CA from the front on the seam.  It runs down the joint.  Once it kicks off I apply a little medium as well in the same manner.  Probably overkill.  Then I sand out the seams on the outside with the long block.  Then fill any gaps.

1. Block tacked in place.
2. Glued from the inside.  The block looks a little off on the back end exit area, most of that is trimmed away for the pipe exit. Even though the shell is only 3/32" think there is still alot of shaping to do.  On on the front side I will install 1/64" ply flat about 1/2" wide in the lip to help protect it and keep the shape.
3. Finished. The rear block is installed as well in this picture.  It is installed in the same manner.  The back is open during install and I can run some CA in from there.  But since it is very had to see if it is covered I will usually run some thin on the
outside of this seam as well.  I just have to make sure I sand it out.
4. I just think this is a funny pic.  
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #125 on: April 16, 2013, 11:11:48 AM »
Time for the top block.  I thought I would show a little more detail about how I prepare and attach the blocks.
1. Check the controls one last time and blow out any dust that has built up inside.
2. Molded shells still under wraps.
3. Showing the overlap of the shell onto the bottom of the mold buck.
4. Initial trimming of the bottom of the shell.  I also sand out any marks left on the wood from the wraps.  You can usually see the weave for the fabric left in the wood.
5. Pulled off the block. You can see the initial trimming around the front that was done during the molding to get it to go around the nose section.
6. Sanding the edge nice and flat with the block/t-bar sander.
7.  Mold is longer than needed on purpose.
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #126 on: April 16, 2013, 12:17:31 PM »
Continued,

8. Trim the mold to length.  I base this on where the back will meet up with the turtle deck.  On this model it is right where the fuse taper begins. 
9. Large pie shaped piece out of the front is trimmed up for final joining.
10. Joined the two edges together with thin CA. Flipped upside down and prepare to add in some wood under the nose.  I like to add in a piece of 1/16 under the far forward nose section of the shell.  Helps with a larger gluing surface and additional wood under in case I go through on the initial shaping.
11. I put some medium CA in the shell and press in some 1/16” with the grain going the same direction.  I am sure to slightly curve the piece first so the inner part touches the shell first and work it out ward from there.  The glue goes off fast so if I press in from the edges it won’t get up into the shell before it kicks there will be spot where it isn’t attached, right where I need it the most.
12. Making sure I have the fit I want with the shell up against the nose ring I start working from the back using medium CA and gluing each side down a little at a time as I work forward. I lift it up ever so slightly and put in several inches of glue and just work my way towards the nose.  I start from the back because it is easier to keep it lined up on the fuse sides.  There will be overhang on the side at the front to the alignment there is not as critical.
13. All glued down and ready for initial shaping.
14. You can see where that filler piece comes in handy….how do you think I learned that one….??
15. Initial shaping done.  I may try to knock it down a little more to get a more subtle dive into the spinner but there isn’t much past that high point.  I should have made my filler piece a little longer, that’s always the case by the way.  HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA!  Sometimes I learn and other times, not so much.
16. Here it is with the turtle deck on as well. 

This plane is about 2” longer than the last one built with these molds, last year’s model.  I made a few adjustments along the way as this will be a 75 model.  The turtle deck mold came out a little short in length and in height.  I added 3/8” strip of 3/32 to the bottom on each side of the mold.  Then trimmed and sanded and attached it in the same manner as the front.  Then about 2” in the back was open and I used a small block to fill in the space.  Not a big deal really and seam is behind the back of the stab.  I think it turned out pretty good.  These blocks were added in one building session about 3 hours.  It can be tedious but it turns out pretty good and the less balsa dust I breath the better.   
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #127 on: April 16, 2013, 12:32:21 PM »
Trying out the rudder.

Just pinned in place as I make sure I have the right size.  I think this is a little too big. I will spend some more time getting the right size before I glue it in place.

As you see it here it weighs 28 oz.  I really have to watch it from here on out.  Still have canopy, stab fillers to the fuse sides, fair in the flaps to the fuse sides, cut the pipe exit and reinforce it, cowl, stab plates, cover fuse, and fillets.  Feels like I still have 10,000 miles to go.

Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Brad Smith

• Commander
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #128 on: April 16, 2013, 12:53:50 PM »
Doug where did you get your epoxy gun and tubes at?
Brad smith AMA780054

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #129 on: April 16, 2013, 02:08:31 PM »
Hello Brad,

My brother ordered that for me.  When he gets back in town I will let you know where he got it.

Thanks

Doug
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #130 on: April 16, 2013, 04:00:33 PM »
Have you got the paint scheme worked out?
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #131 on: April 16, 2013, 08:38:04 PM »
Have you got the paint scheme worked out?

I am conjuring up some new ideas of pain and torture.  Of course checkerboards and fades and curves will be in there for sure....  Maybe a slight change in color choices too. 
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #132 on: April 16, 2013, 10:36:22 PM »
Doug, are you going to fit elevator tip plates? If so what material do you use?

Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #133 on: April 17, 2013, 08:18:37 AM »
Brad,

The glue, glue gun, and extra tips came from McMaster-Carr.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#loctite-hysol/=mczrio

I used the slow drying glue part# "9462™ Impact Resistant—Thick for use on vertical surfaces. Has good shear and peel strength and resists high temperatures and shock. Also bonds wood."

Curare,

I will be adding the tip plates to the stab.  That is one of the very last things I do so I dont knock them off durig the build. I use 3/32" balsa sanded flat so it is a little thicker than 1/16".  Then dope and cover with polyspan or carbon veil.  My brother uses 1/16" lined with with 1/64 ply on one side.  I may do that as it makes them alot tougher.

Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #134 on: April 22, 2013, 10:22:30 AM »
A little more progress this weekend.

I trimmed a little of the rudder and fit it one more time and then went for it. 

I use an airfoiled rudder.  Nothing special just sand a nice curve into it.
I also fill the back of the fuse to match flush with the fuse and then sand out smooth.

Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #135 on: April 22, 2013, 10:32:46 AM »
Next I worked on the pipe exit.

Where the rear bottom mold meets the front bottom mold I use a piece of blasa in the joint.  I forgot to get a pic of it sanded out smooth but I did get back to it and clean it up.  I learned early on a lng time ago a butt joint with wood across it on the inside was not enough to hold.  That joint has to be strong or it will crack very early in the planes life.  This portion of the fuse is under a lot of stress and the tail is always trying to twist.  It is important to build all the joints as tight as possible.  I add in the filler balsa with thin CA.  I will glass it on the inside.

The pipe just barely fits but it is not touching any part of the of the plane and the exit is plenty large enough to get the incoming air from the cowl out across the hot pipe keeping it cool.

Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #136 on: April 22, 2013, 11:38:37 AM »
Looks killer, I have always liked the way you do the molded bottom block. I just leave the whole tunnel open on the bottom.

Derek

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #137 on: May 02, 2013, 12:39:13 PM »
Completed the fillers between the elevators and the fuse. 
Then got the flaps flush with the sides of the fuse.

Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #138 on: May 02, 2013, 01:03:22 PM »
Canopy time. 
I cant stand the sun melting my canopies. I usually pretty good about keeping them safe.  But on my last plane I have a small indention from the sun at 8:45 in the morning at our last contest.  AARRGGGGHHHH!!! 

1. I thought about starting out with a blue canopy this time and going silver over it.
2. Talked some with Eric V, Derek B, and Steve F and thought I would try a wood canopy.  They said it would be lighter too....  To be honest I wasnt sure it would be....  Inital block, looks great huh?
3. Side of the belt sander made initail carve out a snap!
4. Getting closer.
5. Almost Done.
6. 16g
7. 2g
8. Finished.  Looks like it should.

Next up is the cowl.
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #139 on: May 02, 2013, 01:05:43 PM »
The list is getting shorter and shorter...
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Frank Sheridan

• Commander
« Reply #140 on: May 02, 2013, 04:58:02 PM »
Anybody else notice the little silver truck at bottom of the checklist on the bench?

Offline MarcusCordeiro

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #141 on: May 02, 2013, 04:58:37 PM »
Great thread...
Got a lot from here.
thanks Doug...

Ship looks better and better!!

Marcus

Live to fly, fly to live
Aces High!

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #142 on: May 03, 2013, 09:17:21 AM »
Anybody else notice the little silver truck at bottom of the checklist on the bench?

Yep, that little truck has been on the bench through thick and thin on this build.  I think, my son 5, put it up there at the start.  It's brought me good luck so far....  It's not going anywhere until this is over.  

He saw it the other day and asked if I was still using it, like he was thinking he wanted it back.  I said I will be done with it soon.  He smiled and said "Ok."  Than ran off to cause mayhem throughout the backyard!!
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Frank Sheridan

• Commander
« Reply #143 on: May 04, 2013, 10:11:54 AM »
When everything on the checklist is done, you put the plane in the little truck for transport to the field and go fly.  n~ n~

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #144 on: May 22, 2013, 09:04:48 AM »
Time for the cowl.

I really like balsa cowls and all the cool curves and vents you make in them but I always figure out a way to damage them or the fuel eats away the mounts and it is a constant battle to keep them in good condition.

I couple of years ago I learned the foam plug covered in glass method and I have had good results so far.  It creates a light weight semi flexible fuel proof part.

1. Create a base using 1/32 plywood for the foam plug.  This becomes the part of the cowl that is up against the plane when the cowl is mounted.
2. Mount the base to the plane in the same manner as I will once the cowl is complete.  I have embedded brass inserts at the front and the washers are glued to the base.  I make the base a little bit smaller than the fuse all the way around.  The leave a little room for the layers of glass to build up and become flush with the fuse.
3. Protect the fuse from the long sanding block I will be using to shape the part.
4. Add the foam.  I use the green foam you find at arts and crafts stores used for fake plants.  I epoxy it to the base with 5 minute.
5. Initial shaping is done with a zona saw. This stuff is about as soft as cold butter.  It is very easy to dent it or gouge it.  I have to be very careful when working with it.
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #145 on: May 22, 2013, 09:13:12 AM »
If your gonna have this ready for the NATS you better get humppen! Looks good.
AMA 12366

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #146 on: May 22, 2013, 09:14:50 AM »
6. I switch to a long sanding block and work the part down to match the fuse shape.  I am careful to work my way from the back of the model forward so as not to make the front of the cowl smaller than the back.  The style here is the cowl is just an extension of the fuse and there is no curve to it.
7. Using a sharpie I draw out what I want the profile to look like.
8. Back to the zona saw and I cut it out. Again I have to be very careful not to squeeze the part when handling it.
9. I have removed the plug from the plane and shaped it down to match the base.  I glue a large piece of scrap balsa to the base.
10. Put in my vise and layout the strips of glass and get ready to cover the plug.  Mix up some really nasty dark looking ProSet epoxy. Its old but it still dries hard as a rock!

Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #147 on: May 22, 2013, 09:18:18 AM »
If your gonna have this ready for the NATS you better get humppen! Looks good.

Once upon a time I thought I might have it ready for the Nats but now I am not thinking that will happen.

As long as the wing keeps blowing I will just keep working on it and see where I end up.
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #148 on: May 22, 2013, 09:24:43 AM »
11. Apply the epoxy and glass with an epoxy brush.  I wear latex gloves and use my fingers my fingers to lightly press around the base making sure the glass is making contact all the way around.
12. Another view.
13.  After it cures over night I trim away the excess and remove the balsa scrap from the base.
14. Initial fit to the fuse.
15. Initial sanding, using 80-100 grit paper.  It is apparent I have made it just a tad too small.  I am not going to try to sand the bottom block down to it.  Its only 3/32 and I don’t want it any thinner.
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #149 on: May 22, 2013, 09:41:56 AM »
16.  Glue the scrap balsa back to the base and back into the vise it goes. I wasn’t real happy with the surface either.  I had used what appears to be 4oz cloth.  It would take a lot of filler to get it smooth.  I had run out of .75 oz and thought I could make it work. I made a quick trip to the LHS and found some .75 oz cloth.  I dug around my shop some more and found some 2 oz.  Here I have added a layer of 2 oz cloth and several layers of .75 oz cloth. Since the plug is already protected from the initial layers I can really work the cloth our smooth with my hand after the initial application of epoxy and glass.
17. The next day it is ready to be trimmed and sanded. Initial fit looks much better this time and the surface is my more acceptable as well. I find it best to do as much surface sanding as I can before I remove the base and the foam.  The part is much stronger and doesn't flex under sanding pressure so I get the surface much flatter.
18. Cutting away the base exposes the foam to be removed.
19. Using the zona saw I cut it all away as best as I can.  I know others use foam that can be melted away with solvents but this type is some kind of super nuclear war resistant foam.  I have tried to melt it with, lacquer thinner, Sig dope thinner, PPG base maker, reducer, gasoline, mineral spirits, acetone, and anything else I had around the shop. Nothing worked.  But I did find on my tests that some of those solvents would damage the part a little making the inner surface a little sticky. But the foam just sat there as if nothing had happened. So, I just cut it away over the trashcan.  Simple enough and takes just a few minutes for the initial removal.  Then I finish getting it all out with the dremel.  I stand next to a fan to keep the dust moving out of the shop.
20. The foam is just about all cleaned out.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 10:01:12 AM by Doug Moon »
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here