News:

• May 04, 2024, 10:19:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Building a very old kit.  (Read 886 times)

Offline Ty Marcucci

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Building a very old kit.
« on: November 27, 2019, 03:50:32 PM »
 I find it is very important to sand all the pieces before attempting to glue or paint them. D>K
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 04:56:14 PM by Ty Marcucci »
Ty Marcucci

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Building a very old kit.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 10:33:19 PM »
Some of the old kits that I have, I cloned/copied them.  Even like the Ringmasters, flite Streaks and others by making my own built up leading plus trailing edges.  Its takes time, yes, but I'm running out of room for planes.   Hopefully 2020 will be better than the last four years. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 05:44:44 PM »
Ty,

Good points. I know that CyA didn't work on a few old 'uns I worked on. Even when I brushed the parts good beforehand with a dry paintbrush. I had better luck with Titebond. I may have thinned it with water, too. I wonder how polyurethane glue (Gorrilla glue) would work.  I sure wouldn't bother with model cement! Problem is, that you get your glue systems all worked out with what goes where for best results, but now you have to factor in the "too old to stick" thing.

I haven't noticed any issues with paint, but that is probably because: (a) a lot of sanding happens after assembly and before painting; and (b) my paint jobs are of a nature that multiple things always cause issues, and old wood might just be one more piece of the overall disappointment.

A few years back, I picked up a couple of Stanzel kits. Now them puppies wuz old! I figure I'll age 'em a bit more before getting out the glue for that job....

The Divot

PS--Opened up a Veco Papose kit that was recently gifted to me. After reading the assembly "plans," by following the arrowhead trail, I realized why a lot of guys used to think you had to build the assemblies "in hand."  Because the nice isometric illustrations look like the parts are floating in space. The Veco wood is old enough that it won't like CyA, either.

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2019, 09:57:53 AM »
I quit smoking 3 packs a day back 2018 birthday

I have thirty or more kits that I am gifting and selling....as I get them ready to mail, I am assaulted by the tobacco smell...
sincere apologies to the recipients..

I know a lot of HAM radio gear goes unsold due to smoking Radio Shack environment....non smokers will not buy...and nearly impossible to remove the evil smell
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here