News:

• May 23, 2024, 01:02:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Great Planes hinges ???  (Read 1567 times)

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Great Planes hinges ???
« on: October 08, 2009, 04:00:58 PM »
I'm getting ready to hinge my Buc 746 foam wing and before I do thought I'd ask about the Great Planes hinges. I was planning on using them but wanted to check first unlike when I used the adhesive when I attached the wing skins. The GP to the left and regular DuBro to the right, the GP seem more heavy duty. The flaps are 5/16".
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Peter Hess

• Lieutenant
Re: Great Planes hinges ???
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 05:41:48 PM »
I have not used the Great Planes hinges but I would point out that Bob Hunt, in his recent post describing his foam wing services, recommends them and says that is what he will use in his complete wings and stab/elevator sets. If customers want other hinges they will have to supply them at the point of order.
Peter Hess
Canton, CT
AMA 485070

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 06:10:02 PM »
I used them on both the flaps and elevator. Epoxied in place. I haven't had any problems.
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 12:19:09 PM »
I've used them before and am, in fact, planning to use them in my new plane. I don't like them as well as the old Klett hinges, but they seem serviceable. I've never had a problem with them.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Hodges

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 01:00:59 PM »
Like Randy, I would prefer to use the old Klett hinges, but you can't use what you can't get.  I have started using the GP hinges and have had no problems.  I use epoxy or "hinge glue" to put them in.  I have found just a very few to be a too stiff for my liking.  I tossed those.

Bill Hodges
Bill Hodges
AMA 12450

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 02:22:17 PM »
>>I have found just a very few to be a too stiff for my liking.<<

Like any injection molded part, they can get flashing in the gaps. A little work with a #11 usually cleans them up. I've had one or two with bent pins or similar problems that had to be tossed, but overall, no worries.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 05:32:23 PM »
For the past several stunters I've used the Sigg "X" hinges.  They free up nicely with a little bit of #11 work and are very substantial.
Will
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline billbyles

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 12:30:52 AM »
For the past several stunters I've used the Sigg "X" hinges.  They free up nicely with a little bit of #11 work and are very substantial.
Will

Hi Will,

I use the same ones; they are the Sig giant scale hinges and come with the two halves not assembled with the pin.  I clean up the holes with the drill bit the size of the pin to make sure that the hinges are absolutely free then assemble them with the pin.  Since my airplanes typically get around 2,000 flights I have never had a problem with the hinges using the giant scale units from Sig.
Bill Byles
AMA 20913
So. Cal.

Eric Viglione

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 06:06:54 AM »
I use the GP hinges as well... but I toss a few in the bin out of every pack.

Randy, with these I don't see flash (oh, there is flash, I mean that just isn't the problem that makes them bind most of the time) as much as the pins are sometimes bent at a mid point, or sometimes a bulbous round enlarged area is in the middle of the hinge seam. It's smooth, but enlarged in that area.  

Not sure of the why/how in the manufacturing process, but bottom line is if you buy the large pack of them, chucking a few isn't a big deal. Price of doing business as they say...

EricV

>>I have found just a very few to be a too stiff for my liking.<<

Like any injection molded part, they can get flashing in the gaps. A little work with a #11 usually cleans them up. I've had one or two with bent pins or similar problems that had to be tossed, but overall, no worries.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 12:53:05 PM »
Eric,

Sounds right to me. I haven't found any unusable ones yet, but the day is young. I haven't gotten all the way through the pack yet.   ;D
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 02:24:57 PM »
In my limited experience, I don't remember ever having a nylon pinned hinge fail in flight.

Think I've always used the DuBro brand, and like the fact that it's almost impossible to install them backwards!  LL~

Kidding aside, having two barrel sections on each hinge piece may, or may not, provide a small safety margin.

Bill
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 02:36:46 PM »
I've had several DuBro hinges fail over time. Not often and usually in areas where they probably should have been two hinges.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 08:22:58 PM »
Hi Will,

I use the same ones; they are the Sig giant scale hinges and come with the two halves not assembled with the pin.  I clean up the holes with the drill bit the size of the pin to make sure that the hinges are absolutely free then assemble them with the pin.  Since my airplanes typically get around 2,000 flights I have never had a problem with the hinges using the giant scale units from Sig.
Hi Bill,
I love the way they "flop" when I hold them verticle and move them back and forth - total freedom!!  The heavier of the two surfaces, whether flaps or elevators drop down when the ship is setting still, that's super.
Will
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 09:05:02 PM »
Interesting timing for this topic considering I just bought two packs of the GP hinges for the first time. I'm taking them back to the hobby store and exchanging them for DuBro. All but one or two in both packs are so tight you can hardly move them. I really didn't see any "flash" to be removed and it looks like it's just that the pins are to tight in the holes. I don't see an easy way to remedy this and it isn't worth the time.
Back to DuBro.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2009, 07:39:26 AM »
I havent seen the GP hinges, 20 years ago we used large hinges from Circus Circus.

I use Dubro hinges. ALWAYS double up the hinges on the tip of the outboard flap.
AMA 7544

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2009, 08:43:26 AM »
My self I always double up the hinges on both the flaps at the tips.  I have used almost every type of flat nylon hinge and as stated they have failed where they should have been doubled up.  Even cloth hinges fail once in a while.  Have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2009, 10:02:47 AM »
Clint,

Sorry you had problems. I've had a few I had to pitch, but overall they've been fine.

I miss Klett.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here