News:

• April 27, 2024, 08:38:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: BRODAK SILKSPAN  (Read 1065 times)

Offline doug coursey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
BRODAK SILKSPAN
« on: January 11, 2024, 07:06:33 AM »
HAS ANYBODY HAD ANY LUCK WITH THE BRODAK MEDIUM SILKSPAN..I TRIED SOME AND IT DOESNT STICK TO THE WOOD VERY GOOD EVEN PUTTING AT LEAST 3 COATS OF BUTYRATE DOPE ON THE BARE WOOD.I PUT IT ON WET AND  THE DOPE DOESNT PENETRATE THE SILKSPAN VERY GOOD.IT SEEMS TO SWELL THE SILSPAN AND IT GETS HARD AS A ROCK WITH ONE COAT OF BUTYRATE DOPE...YOU SURE COULDNT USE IT ON OPEN BAYS
« Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 09:50:07 AM by doug coursey »
AMA 21449

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
  • Are we having fun yet??
Re: BRODAK SILKSPAN
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2024, 09:58:56 AM »
I am by no means an expert, but I have covered 2 models with Brodak medium silkspan with butyrate dope and both have been fine. And I brushed it on. The silkspan has adhered as expected and shrinks up fine.

Being somewhat of a rookie builder, I strictly followed the Brodak document 'Finishing and Painting your Airplane'.

Those instructions say to use a mixture of 60/40 thinner/clear dope (60% thinner). And I put on 3 coats on the wing and let it fully dry before starting to apply the silkspan on the wing.

So not sure what might be going on in your situation. Maybe not enough thinner so it can easily soak thru the silkspan? And I also made sure I painted at a time of day when the ambient humidity was low, so no blushing was going on.

Offline Jim Svitko

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2024, 11:37:57 AM »
I have used this medium silkspan for several years.  It appears to be just like the product from years ago.  I use it only to cover bare wood.  On open bays, I will use polyspan or ThermalSpan.

https://easybuiltmodels.com/parts.htm#gsc.tab=0

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2024, 07:42:59 PM »
HAS ANYBODY HAD ANY LUCK WITH THE BRODAK MEDIUM SILKSPAN..I TRIED SOME AND IT DOESNT STICK TO THE WOOD VERY GOOD EVEN PUTTING AT LEAST 3 COATS OF BUTYRATE DOPE ON THE BARE WOOD.I PUT IT ON WET AND  THE DOPE DOESNT PENETRATE THE SILKSPAN VERY GOOD.IT SEEMS TO SWELL THE SILSPAN AND IT GETS HARD AS A ROCK WITH ONE COAT OF BUTYRATE DOPE...YOU SURE COULDNT USE IT ON OPEN BAYS

It was probably ten-ish years ago now but I bought six packages of it once to give it a try. I had the same issues you're describing and then some. It ended up going directly into the trash can. 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2024, 05:23:36 PM by wwwarbird »
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline doug coursey

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2024, 04:16:18 AM »
It was probably ten-ish year ago now but I bought six packages of it once to give it a try. I had the same issues you're describing and then some. It ended up going directly into the trash can.

i bought mine about a year ago.dope doesnt want to go through the silkspan and stick it to the wood...i put 3 coats of dope on the bare wood before trying to attach the silk span..mine is going in the garbage so i dont try and use it again
AMA 21449

Offline Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • "Electric...The future of anytime stunt"
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2024, 06:28:30 AM »
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Miotch

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2024, 02:08:40 PM »
For anyone interested in the paper piecing Dave's other post referred to, and couldn't find the currency conversion, I simply added something to the cart and the site magically converted it to U.S. currency, both in the cart and on the product page I selected from.  It was $22.68 for 10 meters.  I didn't complete the purchase, so I don't know what shipping would be.  I was just exploring for now to find out how much it cost.

Offline kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2024, 11:13:17 PM »
How much did you reduce the dope, and what brand of thinner did you use?

Offline doug coursey

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2024, 09:05:57 AM »
How much did you reduce the dope, and what brand of thinner did you use?
I PUT 3 COATS OF 70% THINNED BUTYRATE DOPE ON THE WOOD..I THEN USED THE SAME DOPE TO ATTACH THE SILK SPAN WET...IT DIDNT WANT TO PENETRATE THE SILKSPAN VERY GOOD  AFTER IT DRIED I COATED IT WITH 60% THINNED BUTYRATE DOPE ALL BRODAK BRAND IT WAS HARD AS A ROCK AND VERY HARD TO SAND...IT SEEMED IT WAS MORE A POLYESTER COVERING THAN SILKSPAN..NOTHING LIKE THE SIG STUFF I HAD
AMA 21449

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here