News:

• May 03, 2024, 02:48:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bending landing gear  (Read 2175 times)

Offline Ironbomb

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Bending landing gear
« on: September 10, 2006, 08:10:58 AM »
Landing gear
Landing gear
Landing gear,
have a beer
shut the door. (from an old tv show)  ;D

I finally got the gear bent for my new airplane. I think its as close to "even" as I am going to make it. The left wing tip sits 1/4in higher than the right tip. The gear "axles" are the same distance from the spar, no small accomplishment for me.

So can anyone share a good method to make this task easier? I have the bending tool which get clamped in a vice. And I got my moneys worth out if this weekend. It took six attempts to get it almost right. Six bends over the course of several hours. I almost ran out of 1/8th wire.

Any tips or advice on bending gear that is symetrical [if thats the right word].

Thanks guys

Greg

Beating the crap out of the ground, one airplane at a time

Greg Bossio
AMA 834382

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Bending landing gear
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 08:48:59 AM »
You used up a lot of wire there Greg. Looks like you got them pretty good. The only way to make it easier would be to put less bends in them. That bend for the wheel really adds a lot of work.
Good job at any rate. Keep it up.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 09:04:00 AM »
Bending LG is a tough job!  I guess years of bendnig conduit made it a *bit* easier for me to do, but it stillain't easy.

I mark where th ebend radius will be on the wire from the plans, then bend the first one.  Then I mark and put the wire in the jig and tighten it down.  I also place the first wire over the second to check my marks.   Always have to double check to make sure I am making a "R" and "L" when they are like the ones you have done.

Clear as mud, huh?   n~

PRACTICE!!  **) **)

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Ironbomb

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 10:23:30 AM »
Hi Bill, bending conduit? model airplane wire landing gear must be an easy task for you. I had a taste of bending conduit years ago when I was millwright apprentice. The job didnt last long, layoff in the tool and die trade were as common as double time on sunday.

I guess I will keep at it. I see no end in sight, unless I quit models, and that aint gonna happen. I am learning were the mark ends up after the bend. Something like a bend radius in sheet metal work. need more practice, but if the prebent gear is available thru a supplier, well, a trade between hours of work or a few bucks? hmmmm

the bends over the wheels were the easy part(i wanted the pants centered over the wheel).  it was getting the same length on the gear with the same angle that was hard. I had a 1inch mismatch between wing tips at one point.  I almost let a 1/2 inch fly, but decided not to. 1/4inch over the 54"span will have to be ok. not happy with it, but I am out of 1/8th anyway.

So that is behind me now, more sanding ahead  y1

Greg  ~>

Greg Bossio
AMA 834382

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 09:46:35 PM »
Get the "lengths" the same, first.  The "angle bends" can be done by hand, and are not as hard to get right.  You have experience bending sheetmetal and such, so the "make up" on the radius is what you will have to get use to.

It gets "easier", but after 43 years, it still ain't "easy"!  j1 **)

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 07:16:46 PM »
I found a very easy way to get the plane to sit level when using plywood plates as you did. If my gear legs are not perfect I glue in one side and then sit the plane on blocks so the one gear just touched the table then I glue in the other gear. Get rid of thse large and heavy plastic hold down brackets. Drill small holed in the plywood and use small loops of number 16 wire to hold the gear on. Then drill holes in the plywood to make it lighter.After this is all made glue them in as above. Glad you put the picture inso we could see it. I would add a 1/4x1/4 spar front and back of the plate going out one rib bay on each side.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 07:24:30 AM »
Brodak sells the gear from every kit he produces, believe RSM will also.. Something will work and for the price (to me) it isn't worth dealing with trying to bend them. Did that once and that was enough  ;D

Offline Ironbomb

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 08:15:59 AM »
Yea Bob, you are right again, it hit me about 4hrs into bending these gear, that I would have bought them if I could. Nobody but Sams Stuff produces this kit,( mfg by RSM), and provided with fues gear only. So I was on my own.

I got it done, a little cranky, mostly at the slow progress and frustration of not being able to bend a simple gear. Now, I have a point to make to myself, that I can make every single gear myself, and make them well, even if I make myself mad doing it.

I'm having FUN!, dang it!  **)

yea, maybe next time.....

Greg  ~>

Greg Bossio
AMA 834382

Offline tom hampshire

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 12:15:15 PM »
Greg - I'd offer 2 suggestions.  First, strip some copper wire from the electrical scrap box and bend this to shape first.  You can roll it between 2 flat surfaces to get it straight to start with.  Now you have your pattern.  Or use a wire coat hangar for pattern material.  Anything malleable will work.  Use this to mock up the assembly, and get the aesthetics and prop clearance the way you want.

The secret is in using the bending jig.  It has three posts, a center post around which the bend is made, a drive post on the rotary handle which applies the bending force, and a stop post which constrains the wire from rotating around the center post.  The problem is that friction always tends to draw the wire in, around the center post, when the force is applied. This changes the length of the finished piece.   You have already enjoyed the frustaration of getting close on the length and then having it change just enough to foul up the job and make the ship sit just off level.  Fun, Eh?  So use vise grips or some other high force clamp to force the wire against the stop post to prevent the bending force from drawing the wire in and changing the measured length.  It also helps to wrap the wire with masking tape and then mark the tape.  Makes the marks easier to see.  You might be able to save the existing wire by bending the longer leg forward to get the ship to sit level.  Its still a glitch, but harder to see.  Tom Hampshire

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here