News:

• May 04, 2024, 03:14:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ajusto-Jig  (Read 1711 times)

Offline Glen Wearden

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Ajusto-Jig
« on: March 02, 2007, 06:07:55 PM »
 A couple of years, I bought a NIB Ajusto-Jig for $25, including the fuselage jig.  It looked sort of intimidating to assemble, so it got stored.  The other day, I decided to really see how it works (the wing jig), and I was impressed.  It wasn't hard to assemble, but since it is so long, I cut 6" off the ends of the two aluminum base pieces and off of the pipes that the uprights slide onto.  I used it to frame up a Ringmaster wing (the RSM kit), and so far, it is dead-on straight.  I really like the ability to rotate the wing, although I can't go 360 degrees, because I wasn't able to shorten the rods (too hard for my hack saw, so I'll ask my friend with a torch to do it for me).  I haven't had to go through the drill of cutting the rod holes in the ribs, since the RSM kit already had them, but it shouldn't be too hard, especially if the wing is constant chord.  I think the Ajusto-Jig will be helpful, although it DOES take up a lot of space.     Glen
Glen Wearden

Offline Dick Fowler

• Captain
Re: Ajusto-Jig
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 05:11:34 AM »
Glen, there is one modification I would recommend. These jigs can be adjusted to build wings with dihedral. The thumb screw locking system isn't all that positive and I've had the jig sag while building a wing (Humongous). I set the jig as straight as possible with a long straight edge and then drilled 1/8" dia. holes through the center sections on both side and slipped 1/8" music wire through the movable ends and the center piece. Works great and can be removed if dihedral is needed. That said, I much prefer the Tom Morris Lincoln Log system.
Dick Fowler AMA 144077
Kent, OH
Akron Circle Burners Inc. (Note!)
North Coast Control Liners Size 12 shoe  XXL Supporter

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 09:24:27 PM »
Glen,

I have never encountered a metal wire that couldn't be cut satisfactorily with a Dremel Tool cutoff wheel, even titanium cuts, slowly. Not saying that some Dremel-proof metal doesn't exist; just that I've never encountered it.
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Glen Wearden

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 07:53:20 AM »
Thanks, Ralph.  I have a Dremel rig, but just didn't think about it.  "CRS" is becoming more and more of a factor in my life, now.  Sure would like to meet you, someday.  Are you going to be at the Ringmaster contest at Scobee next month?  Thanks, again.    Glen
Glen Wearden

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 09:35:23 AM »
Hi Glen,
I'm gonna try to make the Ringmaster contest. If I can, I'll have something "interesting".
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Glen Wearden

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 09:45:25 AM »
Ralph, I just finished shortening the rods.  I used the wheel that is black, and has a texture like it is built-up of some sort of composite material.  It sliced through the rods like they were hot butter and left almost no burrs.  Pretty nice; thanks again!!!!   :)   Glen
Glen Wearden

Offline mccoy40

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 12:14:15 PM »
Wow!
    Interesting that you would cut the jig. I just use the two separate sides for two 36" span wings - usually flite streak/banshee type wings

The best thing about the jig is that once it is set up you can reproduce the same wing very quickly

H^^
Joseph Meyer
Philadelphia, PA

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here