News:

• May 13, 2024, 06:04:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AIR COMPRESSOR  (Read 3974 times)

Offline Larry Wong

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
AIR COMPRESSOR
« on: August 11, 2009, 08:34:25 PM »
planing ON REPLACING MY AIR COMPRESSOR, I NOW HAVE A 1 1/2 Hp 2gal 125 cfm crafeman ,  what size would I need? the one I have just having a hard time keeping up. piston or diaphragm?
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
Re: AIR COMPRESSOR
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 09:59:39 PM »
Hi Larry:

I use a 1.5hp 3-gal piston type, which is marginal but adequate using a small-size HVLP gun that draws about 4CFM. Harbor Frieght has an 8-gal 2hp compressor for $129.99. That would be an improvement for not a lot of money. Quality may be sketchy but we don't use these for continuous production work in a shop. Sears and others have 25 to 33 gal models for $230-250, which would handle our needs very well. I used a 33-gal compressor to paint a full-scale aircraft with a large Binks 2000 gun, so it would be more than adequate for a hobby user with a HVLP gun pulling 3-5 CFM.

Better still, ask Dave Shirley Sr or Jr what they use. Claus Maikis uses spray cans in his garden, but that may only work in Germany.

Offline dave shirley jr

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 10:22:37 PM »
well you probably shouldn't go by what i use.
4 hp 220 volt 60 gallon."i need that much to run airsanders and paint full size cars with it"
but dad,s is a great size its probably about 1.5 horse and about 10 gallon call him and ask what size it is "I think it might be the same one i used when i was a kid!" i would think a 1 to 1.5 h.p. with a 5 to 10 gallon tank would be fine. if you use too small a tank the compresser has to run constantly. so i would get as big a tank as you can fit(within reason of course)in your shop and if you get over 2 horsepower you are usually looking at 220 volts
Dave jr.
Add: definitelly piston type and oilled not oilless if you can afford it.(way more durable)

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 10:58:51 PM »
Dave I was leaning towards piston/20 to 30 gal, type just needed some feed back , thanks With my small tank it keeps running an the pressure working hard to keep up.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 05:20:36 PM by Larry Wong »
Larry

Offline Gene O'Keefe

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 07:55:21 AM »
I agree with Dave - definitely piston type and do not get the "oil less" type - VERY LOUD compared to the belt driven models - I have a Sears Craftsman & wouldn't part with it.

Geno
Gene O'Keefe
AMA 28386

Offline Bill Hummel

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 09:00:55 AM »
I bought a new Craftsman 33 gal vertical tank, worked well until three months ago, belt broke.  Less than one year old.  Sears has back-ordered the new belt now for three months, still no idea when it will be available. Odd size, so nothing else fits. Called everyone I could at the local and national "help" lines. No help at all. Screw Sears...buy something else!
ama 72090

Offline Rob Killick

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 10:16:22 AM »
Hi ,

Twenty gal. minimum .

I'd go with a reciprocating (piston type) , as they last longer than a diaphragm type , before repair .
Yup , belt driven is definitely quieter . Make sure to use a quality filter and regulator .
If you can afford it , Devibliss makes a quality compressor .

Good luck

Rob Killick
Rob Killick , MAAC 33300

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 11:41:14 AM »
Mine is a 2hp, upright 80 gallon job that I got from Harbor Freight. Pretty reasonable price, though it's a oil job.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 11:57:26 AM »
Larry, the I-R compressor pictured is a quality unit, but they build high-speed compressors (typically around 3000 rpm), which are very loud and have a high current draw. It's more compressor than you need. HP ratings in compressors are a game; nobody tells the truth about the actual power. When you see the term "Developed Horsepower", that's the HP the motor puts out when it's stalled, a useless number, and general;y about 2X the true hp of the motor.

The important question is, "What are the air requirements of your equipment?"  Read the specs of the tools and spray guns you have (or plan to buy), and get a compressor that will satisfy those needs. Most compressors are rated in  cu-ft/minute @ 40 psi and at 90 psi. For modeling use, you can probably ignore the 90 psi capacity (unless you plan to use a pneumatic sander). Most HVLP conversion guns require 6 - 14 cu-ft/minute @ 40 psi, and a compressor which delivers 80% of that requirement will be adequate, if your tank is large enough, about a 5-minute capacity is plenty. Figure 2 cu-ft = 1 gal, and go from there.

For example, if your gun uses 8 cu-ft @ 40 psi, that would require a compressor that will deliver about 6 cu-ft/min at that pressure, with a 16 gallon tank. If your gun requires 14 cu-ft @ 40 psi, you need a compressor rated at 11 cu-ft/min, with a 30 gallon tank.

(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 12:45:38 PM »
Thanks guys now I feel that I'm more inform, when I get the new compresser. #^
Larry

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 01:06:58 PM »
I bought a Sears with a 19-gallon tank.

My process was to go to Sears and heft the available compressors.  I bought the biggest one that I could single-handedly drag up and down the basement steps.

In addition to model painting, I can clean out and test fuel tanks and test-inflate pacifiers, as well as airring-up bike and car tyres and blowing off the things in the garage and shop. 
Paul Smith

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 01:18:18 PM »
One other thing to watch for is the type of Piston Compressor you get. There are some 2 cyl v-type piston compressors that use sealed bearings on the crank pin end of the rod, and the cylinders are air cooled. They are not oil lubricated, and if run for an extended period of time the bearing and / or pistions heat up and start to sieze- which breaks the connecting rod. These are not "oil less" in the normal sense i.e. electric diaphragm pumps, but still may say "Oil less" or Ol Free on them.

I had one ( I think it was Sears brand) and broke the rods twice bfore repairing it one last time and selling it to someone that only needed to fill tires and stuff. Granted I used it pretty hard, air ratchets/ impacts / etc. and probably exceeded it's design limits for duty cycle. Replaced it with a Coleman Black Max 60 gallon vertical tank - best move I ever made for labor saving.  The Harbor Freight units are a decent value- basically China copies of CP or Ingersoll Rand, with less attention to detail.

I would say if the compressor does not have an oil filled case - buyer beware.
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 09:21:06 PM »
I notice Harbor Freight also has a 3HP 10 gal model, with what is probably an "oiled" piston engine judging from the comment that it has an "oil window" for viewing the oil level. This is an "engine on top of tank" type that sells for $179. My experience with a couple of HF HVLP guns is that the quality is adequate for our needs. My primary HVLP gun has worked flawlessly, and is certainly worth the $39 it cost. I would rather have a Japanese made gun for $300, but my wallet thanks me for the $39 choice.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2009, 09:56:30 PM »
If I had a functioning 1.5 hp compressor that needed a bigger tank, I'd consider finding a tank that would be suitable and plumb up a secondary tank. Propane tanks work fine. Do they still sell propane in California?
 LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2009, 10:08:04 AM »
Propane is still sold in the People's Republik!

Ditto on the noise from the diagphragm types, get an oiled piston type.  Harbor Freight's should be OK.  I had to sell a 60 gal twin cyl type when I downsized the house.  Big mistake, downsizing the house that is.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline James C. Johnson

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2009, 09:19:08 AM »

I bought a Harbor Freight compressor and was not happy with the time it took to pump up the tank.. it was the $100 one they always list on sale..

it worked but seemed to "work" harder than a compressor should.. maybe because of the short stroke of the piston.. I sold it on Craigslist in one day... for $60... feeling bad about my "loss".. I saw a garage sale in the paper listing an old compressor...ran over to the sale and there it was a gem from the late 1960s or early 70s... A Speediaire.. metallic green in excellent condition with all the hoses and guns and other attachments plus a filter for painting cars.. $60 BUCKS... it umps up to capacity in about 3 minutes.. it is excellent.. I think these were sold at Sears 30-40 years ago.. it is an absolute gem. I also use a Badger and Miller Airbrush compressors..

A little older than this one .. and a newer model like this , now made in China, lists for $599 from Granger Supply, parts are still easy to get.

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2009, 11:17:10 AM »
Campbell Hausfeld Extreme Duty compressor. 20 gallon, 5 H.P., belt drive, twin cast iron cylinders. Uses straight 30 weight motor oil,(I like Castrol). Never failed. It was expensive but, no question it was worth it. Campbell Hausfeld no longer makes this model-too bad.
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Bill Hummel

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2009, 06:05:26 PM »
Hey, guys, the belt arrived today for my one year old Sears compressor!  Waited three months for it...yeah, you guessed, they sent the wrong one...you just can't make this stuff up...
ama 72090

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2009, 06:02:24 AM »
Hey, guys, the belt arrived today for my one year old Sears compressor!  Waited three months for it...yeah, you guessed, they sent the wrong one...you just can't make this stuff up...

Why screw around with Sears? Go to any good auto parts house and they'll have the belt you need, at a lower price.

Ralph Wenzel

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2009, 08:02:18 AM »
Don't forget current draw...You don't want a machine that draws 20 amps plugged into a 15 amp circuit!

W.

Do the auto parts stores still sell those fan belts that you can make up to any size?
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2009, 09:54:30 AM »

Ralph Wenzel

Advertise Here
Tags: