News:

• May 08, 2024, 06:59:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Aero-gloss Fuel Proofer  (Read 1264 times)

Offline Tom Perry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Aero-gloss Fuel Proofer
« on: October 04, 2006, 09:49:30 AM »
I've seen this question before but never a satisfactory answer:

What is in it and exactly how does it work?  Can someone show me a test writeup on it or at least give me your experience using it? 

Don't get me wrong, I've used it and still have quite a bit of it.  I just haven't used any lately.  I used to use it over slide on wet decals.  I applied it using a fine misting spray.

#^

Tight lines,

Tom Perry
 Norfolk, Virginia

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
Re: Aero-gloss Fuel Proofer
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 10:30:49 PM »
Tom,

The AG fuel proofer, and the regular "hot fuel proof" AG dopes - as I recall- were referred to as CAB (?cellulose-acetate-butyrate?) material.

That was before the EPA became the good Lord's supervisor...

No one now alive recalls, or admits to recalling, what was in AG dope or fuelproofer.

The Fuel Proofer was an interim solution, when most all dope was nitrate. Nitrate dissolves in glow fuel, y'see.

Whatever AeroGloss "hot fuel proof" dopes were, there were enough issues with Randolph or SIG butyrates that compatibility became a post-grad study. As with SIG, EPA strictures have caused variations, even within the same brand over different batches. EPA may also have sealed the death warrant on AeroGloss aircraft dope products. LustreKote is different, entirely. And, not bad, if you shake the rattle-can the suggested 3 full minutes, and let it cure the suggested week or so.

\BEST\LOU

Offline Dick Fowler

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 06:47:42 AM »
I was hoping someone would shed some light on this stuff. All remember about it was a long time ago opening a jar of it in a hobby shop and smelling it. If memory serves me the smell was worse than any post bean burrito buffet experience... Anything that smelled that bad wasn't going on my airplane!

Actually I never really needed it because I was using Aerogloss dope or Hobby Poxy.

Added - I don't recall anyone using it!
Dick Fowler AMA 144077
Kent, OH
Akron Circle Burners Inc. (Note!)
North Coast Control Liners Size 12 shoe  XXL Supporter

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 11:54:30 AM »
This in reference to Lou's mention of LustreKote; I had some very revolting experiences with it as far as wanting to run, spit, apply too much material, etc. so solved the problem in the following manner.
This process solves the problem of getting spitting and way-too-much material, aka-weight!  I simply spray it into an airbrush jar while holding a paper towel over the opening of the jar to prevent loss of material and the smell as much as possible, thin it 25% with Dupont 3608S and then spray it on with the airbrush. 
This gives me a nice, workable solution and keeps the weight down as well as the spitting that seems to nearly always occur.
Will
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here